Pro-voice scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Am I correct to assume that for a system like Harrisonburg's edacs system, that if you don't have a pro-voice functionality in your scanner, that the only talkgroups you won't be able to hear are the digital ones?

If im wrong, please tell me where I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadcall

My local area is also Edacs with a handful of Provoice talkgroups. I pick up everything except the Provoice groups on my Pro 106 which is not equipped to decode Provoice. I do have a BCD325P2 with the Provoice options which receives those talkgroups without any problems. It is very interesting listening on those groups.

fredva

Feed Provider
Am I correct to assume that for a system like Harrisonburg's edacs system, that if you don't have a pro-voice functionality in your scanner, that the only talkgroups you won't be able to hear are the digital ones?

If im wrong, please tell me where I'm wrong.

But in the case of Harrisonburg's system, I only see two talkgroups listed that aren't digital, and I believe those are simulcast on conventional frequencies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
But in the case of Harrisonburg's system, I only see two talkgroups listed that aren't digital, and I believe those are simulcast on conventional frequencies.

That is correct. The only two analog TG's are Fire & Rescue Tac 1 and HFD 1. Both are also patched to UHF channels- so there would be not point in trying to monitor the analog side of this system without the PV update.

The x36 scanners track/ decode this system well.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
So with that said, im guessing that there's not a lot of RadioShack or whistler digital trunk track scanners listening to a pro-voice system like harrisonburgs. Am I wrong?

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Right. I remember trying to program Sentinel with the PV talkgroups before Uniden released the ProVoice updated firmware. The TG's were out of range and would not even enter. After the update came out, the Sentinel and the scanner accepted the TG values.

I am not sure if RS or Whistler would accept the TG's or not. It would be interesting.

ChrisABQ

If you want to experiment a bit, get a couple of SDR dongles and a free copies of Unitrunker and DSD+ and you can hear the digital EDACS ProVoice system for next to nothing using your computer as a scanner.

Last edited:

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
If you want to experiment a bit, get a couple of SDR dongles and a free copies of Unitrunker and DSD+ and you can hear the digital EDACS ProVoice system for next to nothing using your computer as a scanner.

And with what Shadcall stated, maybe a Pro106 (etc) would even track the TG's, while the software decodes the PV signal???

fredva

Feed Provider
And with what Shadcall stated, maybe a Pro106 (etc) would even track the TG's, while the software decodes the PV signal???

That might be possible, although you'd need a discriminator tap on the scanner for the software to properly decode the voice, if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.