Why do you love your whistler scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
As the title suggests, I want to know specifically what you love about your whistler scanner? What does it do that you love about it?

Please no gripes or complaints about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Why do you love your Whistler scanner

It has so many convenient "features" compared to older "channel/band" scanners.

troymail

Silent Key
Excluding simulcast issues I have with all scanners, I like the fact that Whistler radios just work on digital systems to include P25, DMR, and NXDN - and I don't have to do any "tweaking". The audio is generally loud and clear out of the box.

Not to mention that for NXDN, it's the only option.... and, Whistler hasn't nickle and dimed me for "paid upgrades" (no credit card required - just download the firmware).

I see more regular releases of new features and bug fixes with Whislter - I believe they've released 2 firmware updates (I think) since the December release of NXDN capable firmware.

I've seem more user feature requests in these forums developed and released in new versions of firmware than with other radios. I've seen people ask for a feature and naysayers say "that won't happen" and yet, the feature becomes reality (tells me Whistler is listening to their customers).

The data on the display on my Whistler scanners is large enough to read - even in bright light.

The ability to assign a talkgroup object to multiple scanlists without replicating the data.

The ability to selectively record channels/talkgroups.

The remote head on my WS-1098 and TRX-2

None of my Whistler radios were ever the subject of hardware recalls.

I'm sure I have other reasons....

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Because the word Uniden is not on it.

Love the audio recording part and how Whistler has integrated that into the software.

As I am sure you all know, Uniden has no software.

The Whistler .. set it and forget it method of audio recording. As someone that does a lot of recording, this is super nice.

There is no such thing as the perfect scanner .. but if anyone is going to get close, it will be Whistler as the other guys pretty much ignore their customers once you have spent your money. But due to impending encryption issues, I will not likely be buying too many scanners in the future.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
I have to say my Whistlers are my favorite to listen to because of squelch tail elimination on analog and superior P25 performance. It's really hard to listen to my Unidens with their annoying squelch tails after listening to the Whistlers.

Tattoooz

I have to say that it picked up my Downriver Simulcast System as well as the Detroit Simulcast System right out of the box! The only other scanner I've owned is the Pro-96, which although it was a scanner I was happy with, the Whistler beats it hands down! No having to program special extended tables in order to pick up these systems. I've only had the TRX-2 a couple of days now, but it was well worth the price! I'm sure as I get to know the software better and learn all the bells and whistles I will certainly be the happier! Keep up the good work Whistler and Wendy!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanner likes

I have had at least 5 brands of scanner over the years. Whistler (GRE) is my choice because the V-Folders win over the Quick Key system and the simulcast beats out my Uniden scanner.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I have a PRO-106 and now a WS-1088, and with either Win500 or EZScan, to me they're far easier to program than the Unidens. I tried an HP-2 before I bought the 1088 and found Sentinel to be inscrutable; and the HP-2 did not work well at all on the Sheriff's (now defunct) EDACS system. With the 1088, I entered by hand the control channel and a few TGs and within minutes out of the box was scanning it with perfect audio.

Plus, as Troymail said... I love the responsiveness of Whistler and the frequent updates... thanks for the 1088 tune mode!

DJ11DLN

Several RS versions here, plus a 1098. I bought the latter instead of a Uniden because I was familiar with the software and the operation of the unit. I've programmed some Unidens for friends or acquaintances, and I found the software to be more difficult to use, and the operation of the scanners to be a bit on the illogical side, though to be fair if I'd got back in the hobby with a Uniden, I'd likely see things the other way around. Also, my GRE- and Whistler- built RS scanners, as well as the 1098, just seem to work better with my statewide TSYS...decode quality and sound are on par with or better than an X36. Plus additional digital modes without overt larceny...it all adds up to Whistler getting the nod from me. I'll likely be adding a TRX-2 soon...I should have just done that when I got the 1098 (facepalm).

SCPD

QRT
Whistler whys

Because Whistler Wendy listens to customer suggestions and takes them seriously!
I like the record per channel.
I like the light show only a Whistler can put on with its LEDs....
The Airband and 440mhz ham band is not deaf like it is on a Uniden.
The software doesnt use .NET framework or break.:lol:
The better reception and overall performance I get from the Whistler.
The Ezscan software is so much better than Sentinel.
The portable actually works mobile where the Uniden was bothered by the vehicle computer noise.
BNC connector instead of SMA.
Charge does not require me to tell it what to do.
Connecting to a computer does not require much interaction either.
Its a heck of alot cooler looking.
Swivel belt clip thats replaceable.
Display is larger,and more informative and looks great with caps lock on all letters!

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Easy for me because I'm still an absolute rookie on the TRX1. Have not even read the manual yet, except for a few pages here or there. And that is exactly what I love about the trx1, I can do just about anything on it I need to despite not having spent the time to learn it yet. That says it all. The TEXT SEARCH [Fn + 9] is the BOMB! ;) The Scanlists and Scansets and the ease of turning them on/off via the menu is extremely helpful. I can't wait to have some time to sit down and read about all the things I don't know about it.

The updates are fantastic, and the fact whistler is going to continue to improve on it/add things is also fantastic.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a TRX 2, and just generally enjoy using it. I like both brands, since I use different radios for different things. Wendy, one thing would bring me all the way over...GPS scanning. :)

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I like the fact that the Whistler just works and customer support is awesome. I like that Whistler has stayed with us after they got our money. There have been many fixes and new features since the TRX-1 and TRX-2 have been released + fixes and new features for their pre-TRX scanners.

They sound great, they decode simplex better, NXDN, no false talk group ID's, record on a channel by channel basis, NXDN, software support for recordings, NXDN, ability to export recording information into excel via Don's AUParse tool, NXDN, and the ability to select specific mode while searching. Oh, and did I mention NXDN?

Whistler has won my money in the future simply because THEY ARE LISTENING TO US.

Nasby

I like that Whistler did not get in an upraor over the Firmware tool that allows the upgrade on some older model scanners to allow DMR coverage.

This leaves me with a good feeling about the company and makes me more likely to support them when its time for a new scanner.

If it were Motorola there would be court injunctions and mass arrest warrants.

Joseph11

One of my first scanners was a PRO-92, so I've stuck with GRE/Whistler through multiple generations and have very few complaints. There's no comparison between my PRO-668/TRX-2 and my BCD325P2. The Whistler ones receive much, much better and I can actually listen to the state simulcast P25 system on the Whistlers whereas the Uniden is mostly deaf. Performance between the Whistlers and Uniden, even when using the same antenna, is almost always better on the Whistlers.

It's because you get to work with me right?

Absolutely!

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
This is great! I just really have to wonder for all the scanner listeners that are near localities that have pro-voice systems, what scanners they are using? I get it, whistler now has dmr as well as uniden. But this leads me to believe that unless I'm missing something, if you have a RadioShack or whistler scanner in a pro-voice area, you just have to listen to analog talkgroups. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.