Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

lubstorfk

I live in DeSoto County in NW Mississippi. Back in the beginning of last year I'd purchased the Uniden BCD536HP scanner, so in addition to the local DeSoto County channels (PD, Fire) I could also hear the Memphis PD (my other scanner is a RS Pro-2055 which couldn't get Memphis due to being digital)

Listening to the scanner is only an occasional thing for me and to make a long story short I noticed I wasn't getting anything in DeSoto County anymore. Updated the database, firmware and reloading the favorites and all I got was the "nothing to scan" message for DeSoto.

Finally I noticed the small note in the RR database saying all users are on the MSWIN System with full time encrption.

I take it that means I'm screwed ???? (At least as far as DeSoto County which includes all the cities within).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm not seeing that note. Mississippi Wireless Integrated Network (MSWIN) Trunking System, Jackson, Mississippi - Scanner Frequencies

I saw where some talkgroups are Phase II, which can be decoded by your scanner.

Also, I'm not sure that all agencies may be willing to buy fully encrypted radios given the cost. Best practices suggest that at least some interoperable talkgroups are "in the clear".
On the database page for the county, it still shows the old Type II system as being used. However, when you look at that system, there is a note that 'everything moved to MSWIN and using full time encryption'.

That county database page needs to be changed to show the MSWIN system being used, instead of the old Motorola Type II. All of the talkgroups on the old system are shown as depreciated. Looking at the number of TGID's on the old system, versus the much smaller # on MSWIN, it would be likely that most of the county's MSWIN talkgroups have not yet been identified & submitted, possibly because they may be full time encrypted.

lubstorfk

On the page specifically for DeSoto County Public Safety there's a note under Misc System Information that reads "ALL users have migrated to the MSWIN system using full time encryption."
This was the group I used to listen to all the time, although I hadn't for about the past 6 mos. until a couple weeks ago. That's when I started getting the "Nothing to Scan" msg for DeSoto County Public Safety.

Appreciate everyones help. Shame I can get Memphis, but I can't hear what's going on in my own neighborhood.

lubstorfk

Also, I'm not sure that all agencies may be willing to buy fully encrypted radios given the cost. Best practices suggest that at least some interoperable talkgroups are "in the clear".

I seem to remember reading in the paper some time back that DeSoto County had received some large grant from Department of Homeland Security and there was something related to communications with it. I really don't recall much but I don't remember there ever being anything in the article about encrypting. Guess they don't want the bad guys listening it.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
"Nothing to Scan" may be indicative of something else going on. Unfortunately the list of things to check is kind of long and any one (or more) of those things can be an issue for you.

You might visit this page and go through the list: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/283404-x36-nothing-scan-checklist.html

Just for the heck of it, I created a Favorites List for DeSoto County progamming both the conventional and MSWin "stuff". I programmed it to my scanner and changed the zip code to match one shown for DeSoto County.

While, obviously, I did not receive anything, I did not get the "Nothing to Scan" message either.

Of course if they indeed have gone fully encrypted, you won't hear anything, though your scanner will still attempt to receive the system as opposed to displaying "Nothing to Scan".

rcool101

Feed Provider
Well I looked in the database also...I found the MSWIN...looked for DeSoto Co. (17)...4 entries...(TGs).....Labeled ...D....(not encrypted).... (Olive Branch Police mobiles are encrypted).........Also go to Live feeds....DeSoto Co Fire and EMS are being streamed....Saw 5 listeners

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you see "Nothing To Scan" that is caused by a setting on your scanner, ae system or site avoided, service type not enabled, etc.

Out of curiosity I put your zip code in mine and it did scan the MSWIN system including your county Sheriff and Fire as in the DB. Of course I am a little out of range to receive it, but it did scan it :)

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Well I looked in the database also...I found the MSWIN...looked for DeSoto Co. (17)...4 entries...(TGs).....Labeled ...D....(not encrypted).... (Olive Branch Police mobiles are encrypted).........Also go to Live feeds....DeSoto Co Fire and EMS are being streamed....Saw 5 listeners

It seems to be one of the cases of the database not being updated to reflect the current status for the area. A database admin for MS does appear to be aware of changes in DeSoto County, but has not made the changes at the county level database or for the TG Mode on MSWIN.

DeSoto Co TRS
Desoto County, Ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.