TRX-1: When is "stuff" written to the SD card, and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Probably a dumb question once I actually get around to reading the manual which I have yet to have a chance to do, so I apologize ahead of time! ;)

When does stuff get written to the SD card, when changes are made on the scanner directly (not via EZscan)? And, where does it get written to? For example, I have 3 vscanner folders created:

vscan1
vscan2
vscan3

The scanner I guess automatically creates vscan 0 (zero) I noticed. I have assumed zero is the "active" one, correct?

Now, if I add a new frequency to the scanner via the programming menu and add that freq to a few scan lists, the question is does that get written to the SD card immediately, and if so to what Vscanner folder? The active (zero) one? OR d=to the vscanner I last loaded, or ....?

C

cebowman

More than likely when the scanner is powered down softly with the Power Key

troymail

Silent Key
I believe VFolder configuration data (systems, channels, talkgroups, etc.) are written right away. "Global" type things like volume, etc. are written when the radio is properly powered down.

Recordings are written right away but there is an index/pointer kept in a different file that is written "along the way" but I do not believe it is written in real-time. In fact, that may be written when the global data is written also.

I'm basing these beliefs on years of using these radios and seeing what happens if the power is abruptly removed (i.e. the radio isn't shut down properly).

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Folder 0 is just the default.

It's written to various data files within the currently active v-scanner config.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.... I'm not interested so much in the details of what files in each folder is written to... but just which folder...

So if have 3 vscanner folders, number1, number2 and number3, and then load "number3" on the scanner. Any changes I then make on the handheld are then written to the number3 folder, correct?

The only thing confusing me is the "default" (ZERO) vscanner. In EZScan if you go to File, Open V-Scanner, you get a list starting with folder 0 with just "CDAT" as the folder. The next one is "CDAT_VS.001", then ...VS.002. So why s the "zero" folder different.... ?

I know, I should probably just ignore it, right? Things like that just bother me though, I think I'm missing something..... ;)

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The whole thing is inconsistent.

It's like a little kid. One day he likes his PB&J cut in 2 triangles. The next day, whole with no crust. Following that, 4 quarters, also with no crust. And then next time at lunch cut in half regular with crust.

Literally every time they sit down to do something to these scanners and PC apps it is done differently. No consistency. Inadequate debugging.

So, yes, you've got it down. You just have to live with the fact that 200 folders are labeled CDAT_VS.### and one is just CDAT, and is called 0 and default in different places.

The biggest problem is not being able to create new v-scanner folders from the scanner.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
LOL!

The biggest problem is not being able to create new v-scanner folders from the scanner.

Oh, that is a good one. I have to add that to my suggestion list. I was trying to find how to save to a new vscanner on the scanner just a few days ago. I assumed it was there I just could not find it cause I have not yet read the manual. Dang!

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, yea, I always read that "Easier" one first and then peruse the hardcopy...

Somebody should write (I would volunteer except for the fact I can't write a proper sentence!) scanner manuals that are "Task" based rather than object based. By that I mean, they say things like "SCAN/PAUSE: Use this button to start scanning or pause on a frequency". You then need to put all these tidbits together in your mind and try to figure out how to accomplish a task your trying to do.

Instead, they should read like "How To ....." with a detailed example of how to do that particular task. For example, "How to scan a group of frequencies: Start EZscan, click conventional freq tab, scroll to the first freq you want to scan and click on the Scanlist column of that row. Select the appropriate Scanlist (see How to create a scanlist) and click Set. Scroll to the rest of the freq's and select the same Scanlist until you have done this for all freq's in the group. Copy the config to SD card, power on the scanner and press Menu, then scroll to scanlist, now scroll to the scanlist you just used. Press select to put a checkmark next to that scanlist. Now go back to menu and press SCAN."

Status
Not open for further replies.