Might be moving to Springfield MO this summer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

And I'm wondering if anyone can offer any general info and opinions on the monitoring of various services there - typical police/fire/EMS activity, any potential MilAir in the surrounding region (I see there's the one civilian airport in the area, Springfield-Branson National), that sort of thing. I've spent some time looking over this forum and posts related to the area, done research with the RR database and I'm familiarizing myself with the Springfield trunked systems (MOSWIN, etc) as far as the info goes.

Was just hoping to get any general input from residents or people familiar with the area. It'll be a big change going from Las Vegas to such a smaller less populated city but who knows, it might be just what I need at this point in my life. :)

Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
Springfield has a great wide coverage smartnet 800mhz system. I also think there is some milair stuff at sgf

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

frazpo

I live in Joplin (60 miles to the west) and go to Sgf weekly for work. I take my 436 pretty much everywhere I go. SGF is great for public safety listening. Especially police. Maybe not comparable to Vegas but they stay very busy at all times of the day.

As for miliar. You may be in luck. I do not monitor milair while Im there but I routinely see what I am assuming is training flights. I see mostly large military type aircraft.

br0adband

I live in Joplin (60 miles to the west) and go to Sgf weekly for work.

The Wife's family is from the Joplin/Golden City area, actually (still has people there including her Mom), but we need a more city-type environment than what those two rural areas provide so it's Springfield looking to be our next home. I'm sure it'll be interesting enough as time passes, been in Las Vegas for over a decade so it'll take some getting used to a new locale once more if we do commit to going.

Thanks for the info.

frazpo

The Wife's family is from the Joplin/Golden City area, actually (still has people there including her Mom), but we need a more city-type environment than what those two rural areas provide so it's Springfield looking to be our next home. I'm sure it'll be interesting enough as time passes, been in Las Vegas for over a decade so it'll take some getting used to a new locale once more if we do commit to going.

Thanks for the info.

Golden City has a population of 756. Joplin is over 50,000.
Joplin and Springfield are very similar, Joplin is just 1/3 the size. I'm sure the monitoring will not quite be what your used to in Vegas.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
You will enjoy Springfield monitoring a lot. Very busy and usually exciting. Still a lot of VHF high around there. The only problem may be Christian Co. They are one of those DMR or NXDN??? I think. But with the new scanner stuff from Uniden and Whistler you have a chance. You will not be bored.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I go to Springfield fairly often and enjoy monitoring their 800 mhz Motorola Type II Smartnet system.
They always have quite a bit of traffic. Especially on the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.