Trip through TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

lviper

Premium Subscriber
So I'll be making a trip through TN to Gatlinburg. I have an old BCD369T and was hoping to program in the TACN sites along my route in hopes of hearing some State Police traffic. I noticed a lot of the TG's show encrypted ready. Will I be able to hear anything? Or is it a waste of time?

I'll be coming down I24 to Nashville and continuing along I40. I've already located all the towers to what appears to be in range and programmed the sites. I have 12 sites. I've also programmed in all the State Police TG's and enabled the lock-out for the encrypted.

I just thought I would ask if I have any chance to hear anything.

xlr8

Premium Subscriber
Like Buddrousa said, TDOT, THP, and TEMA are all in the clear. You should be able to monitor Knoxville/Knox County. Most of Sevier County is on a NEXEDGE system, so your scanners (and mine too) can't pick up anything on that system. Pigeon Forge is on a P25 Type I system and I monitored them just fine last month when I had to stay there for 3-4 days.

Good luck and give it a whirl to see what you can hear.

thassler

Throw in analog 153.6725 and see if you can catch any Putnam County Sheriff's Office traffic (Cookeville, TN).

lviper

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info everyone.

From what I've been reading here I didn't figure I would be able to get much in Sevier County but I was mostly interested in THP while driving. Not so much as to maybe know where they are, but rater to know if there is an accident or something up ahead.

phask

Premium Subscriber
The Smokey Park gets interesting with the bear and traffic reports.

Might have also been hearing the state wildlife or forest - can't remember, been 2 years.

I was using one of the Uniden built in database ones and also a 325 with some diy programing.

You can hear the park most anywhere since the repeater is on Clingman's.

n4yek

You can hear the park most anywhere since the repeater is on Clingman's.
They are actually simulcasting on many frequencies, if he stays in Gatlinburg, then he would want to program in the Gatlinburg site.
Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Scroll down to 'Great Smoky Mtn National Park - Tennessee'

If you travel throughout the park, enter all Tennessee and North Carolina repeaters and just tune to the best reception.

You can also monitor 460.500 MHz analog, that is intercity from Central Dispatch.
454.100 is Fire Page out (You may hear Gatlinburg Fire paged on 453.850)
451.450 is Gatlinburg Fire TAC,
453.7375 is Pittman Center Fire just east of Gatlinburg and 456.3875 is their Fire TAC.

Here is some other local business freqs in case you want to monitor them:
Nat Ski Patrol 151.0175
Gatlinburg Ski patrol 155.160
Ober Gatlinburg Ski Patrol 155.1600
Ober Gatlinburg Maint. 157.56000
Gat Aerial Tram 157.6200
Ober Gatlinburg Admin. 157.6800

West Gate Resort (in case you stay here)
W.Gate Engineer 454.2500
W.Gate Transport 461.8000
W.Gate Bell Service 462.2000
W.Gate Security 463.6250
W.Gate Housekeeping 465.9000
W.Gate Services 466.5750
W.Gate Water Park 467.76250

Keep in mind that depending on where you stay in Gatlinburg, you may not be able to monitor the TACN network because of the mountains.

Someone already mention Pigeon Forge P25 system, you can monitor it while in Pigeon Forge but go into Gatlinburg and you will loose it unless you are staying in an elevated area to get over the mountain tops.

Last edited:

lviper

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the info.

I'll be staying in this cabin.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...2!3d35.7425491!4d-83.4830021?hl=en&authuser=0

I wasn't really looking to monitor much outside of the area from where I'm staying when I get there. So I really don't care too much about PF but the park would be nice and would probably be interesting. I do plan to head up to Clingmans Dome once or twice. I looking to grab some sunset photos from there and Morton Overlook. Will also head to Cade's Cove one morning to get some sunrise pics. So monitoring the park could be beneficial.

Will it hurt to just program all the towers and just let the scanner pick the strongest signal?

n4yek

Will it hurt to just program all the towers and just let the scanner pick the strongest signal?
no, it won't hurt at all. But if you are getting broken comms, hit the scan button to make it move to the next repeater just to make sure you are getting the best reception.

stlouisx50

Just wanted to give a bump on this thread incase anyone else might be traveling into the area.

I stayed at Pigeon Forge and found that there is lots of encryption and Nexedge in that area.

TSP dispatch is still open, TSP Ch 2 is encrypted.
Pigeon Forge police dispatch is open and no encryption at all.

454.100 Siever CO. fire tone out is open

All of Dollywoods system is open

NPS was my favorite to tune to. There was about 40% of the conservations encrypted which made it great experience. I heard everything from a large power outage throughout the national park to traffic stops, bears, and other violations. The frequencies I picked up were 169.675 NAC 293
169.550 NAC 4C5
170.5125 NAC 4C5

The Pigeon Forge Trolley was using 464.6375
Arbors Inn & Suites 462.125 PL 69.3 Spanish/English
Lenoir City Police: Dispatch has 99% encrypted traffic, not worth the hassle.

I was picking up TG2977on the Cookeville site Tennessee Network but couldn't figure out who it was.

I also kept getting TN Wildlife Region 4 Dispatch 2 - East Tennessee, but it was always encrypted. I found this to be quite a bummer since the NPS was so busy.

Another good listen is the UHF medical frequencies. They were very busy.

Gatlinburg Fire toned out on 453.850 (analog)
Sevierville 911 460.500 (analog)

Maryville Fire: Dispatch TG10025 on TACN

Status
Not open for further replies.