Whsitler scanners and ENC

Status
Not open for further replies.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Anyone that monitors a Moto Phase 2 simulcast system that has some encryption.

Looking to see if any Whistler models ignore encrypted traffic?

In my area next month will be a new 700 Mhz phase 2 system where Dispatchers will be in the clear , however all officers traffic to be ENC.

Thanks for any info you can share.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Ok I need to check some one called me and i forgot there is a global setting how to handle enc traffic on whistlers?

[
QUOTE=mike_s104;2750171]No, they do not

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
on the trx models in scanner i see enc mode setting can be silent,tone or noise

Guess many will want whistler over Uniden if this works.

I know for sure come May when testing starts.
Thanks

There is a setting under Advanced Features

W3DMV

I have a WS1095, WS1098, and WS1088. The universal
setting to handle enc works fine.
We have a mixed P-25/PH2 simocast system and it
functions well.
Have also used it on mixed modes on simplex with
no problem,..
I assume the newer TRX1 & TRX2 function in same
manner..

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Confused functions well? That mean on phase 2 it ignores ENC?
Universal setting?

thanks

I have a WS1095, WS1098, and WS1088. The universal
setting to handle enc works fine.
We have a mixed P-25/PH2 simocast system and it
functions well.
Have also used it on mixed modes on simplex with
no problem,..
I assume the newer TRX1 & TRX2 function in same
manner..

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
It works great. I have a system I pick up when I go down to Roanoke that does what you're talking about. Dispatch is in clear and units are encrypted.

I have it set to play the old phone busy tone and it does so without problem. The Uniden does not mute P2 encryption which makes it beyond annoying although it does do it for P1. For some reason the P2 encryption seems very loud when encountering it.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I like knowing if someone is using ENC sometimes, so that I don't think I have a system programmed in incorrectly and hear nothing. The Whistler allows me to set it to where a busy tone, or the garbled noise, or mute altogether whenever encrypted traffic comes across.

My scanner, if I want to listen to someone talking like they are scrambling eggs, Whistler gives me that choice, Uniden does not.

Ho hum.

SOFA_KING

The word "ignores" is incorrect for Whistler scanners. It actually "masks" if you chose to "mute" over encryption or use the busy signal "tone". But the scanner will stop scanning on encryption when it's encountered. This is not always desirable.

Uniden does actually "ignore" P25 Phase 1 encryption, as well as Provoice encryption. You may get a quick blurb at the very beginning, but it will scan off to other monitorable channels instead of getting hung up (on these modes). However, my limited testing on P25 phase 2 and DMR did NOT ignore or mute encryption at all, and it should have been addressed in the firmware. Someone at Uniden didn't think to incorporate the same features for all modes. Boo! Hiss!

I see the value of having it ignore and continue scanning, as well as stop with busy signal tone and record all the data like UID, TG, NAC, CC, etc. Ideally, I would like this "stay or skip" feature to be selectable...but neither company gives you that choice (It would be cool to have a dedicated button with a circle and slash through it for this quick selection function. Short press temporarily skips encryption on the active channel, and long press toggles a global skip selection. While you're at it, put the circle whith slash icon on the display. Copyright issue? Easy! Reverse the direction of the slash. ;) ). So I use Whistler scanners for searching (or scan-searching, where I have large lists of multiple band channels I keep checking for greater search control and identification name tags), and Uniden scanners for listening to cover both desirable conditions. Most of what I listen to is encrypted or really mixed/selectable. Many times they go clear. I want to hear what is clear, but don't want my scanner getting hung up on channels that are heavily encrypted. I would never hear anything else if it didn't pass over encryption. But Uniden needs to finish the job of skipping encryption on Phase 2 and DMR...and maybe some day NXDN, which looks like they may not have even started that job at all.

I have been extremely hesitant to suggest to Whistler the "skip encryption" idea. I'm afraid they would NOT understand the need for full control selection and mess up a good thing going for their scanners...data collection on either encrypted or clear traffic. I need that data! Uniden gives you no data on encrypted channels or encrypted search hits (Boo! Hiss!), but at least you can scan over encryption on P25 Phase 1. If Whistler ever did start "skipping" encryption, without full user selection control, I'd have to roll back to whatever version firmware that didn't have that feature to keep my data mining operation going. That would suck, as I wouldn't get any of the advantages on future updates. SO, if they did think about adding that feature, I would hope they fully understood the need for user control...for BOTH searching and scanning. As long as they did that, it would be a great improvement. But as it stands now, I can't use a Whistler scanner for "listening" to my favorite agencies. It wouldn't hear much clear traffic getting hung up on all the encrypted traffic.

Phil

Last edited:

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
A big thanks to all on this matter helps a lot and looks like our local MEDIA will be spending MONEY on Whistler models.

Thanks again

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Well Sat I tested on a new 700 Mhz Moto Phase 2 system Trx-1 did NOT silence ENC .
I double checked setting have it set to Silence.

Whistler/GRE will mute but not ignore and continue scanning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
Well Sat I tested on a new 700 Mhz Moto Phase 2 system Trx-1 did NOT silence ENC .
I double checked setting have it set to Silence.

Moto Phase 2 --- you mean P25 Phase 2, correct?

I think I looked closely at this and posted in the past -- if I remember correctly, the radio performs differently for Phase 1 vs. Phase 2 encryption. For Phase 1, it will mute/play busy signal, etc. audio but for Phase 2 I believe it does not (for Phase 2 you will hear the encrypted 'gibberish').

From my memory, Uniden performs along the same lines in that is does something for P25 Phase 1 encryption and not P25 Phase 2.... I suspect (maybe even heard in the past) that there is something definate in the the Phase 2 protocol that makes it harder (impossible?) for the radio to detect an encrypted transmission than with Phase 1 and that is why if performs differently (in both Whistler and Uniden).

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Yes Motorola P25 Phase II 700 mhz
I just got to finally test as they just went live.

Agree 100 percent neither Whistler or Uniden silence or ignore.
I had 325,436 and Trx-2 for my test none silenced ENC.

Thanks

Moto Phase 2 --- you mean P25 Phase 2, correct?

I think I looked closely at this and posted in the past -- if I remember correctly, the radio performs differently for Phase 1 vs. Phase 2 encryption. For Phase 1, it will mute/play busy signal, etc. audio but for Phase 2 I believe it does not (for Phase 2 you will hear the encrypted 'gibberish').

From my memory, Uniden performs along the same lines in that is does something for P25 Phase 1 encryption and not P25 Phase 2.... I suspect (maybe even heard in the past) that there is something definate in the the Phase 2 protocol that makes it harder (impossible?) for the radio to detect an encrypted transmission than with Phase 1 and that is why if performs differently (in both Whistler and Uniden).

Status
Not open for further replies.