TRX-1: windows 10 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
I'm at a loss. i hook up my TRX1 to the computer and the windows 10 doesn't recognize the cable anymore. when i hook up the cable to the computer. how do I Fix this?

DJ11DLN

Search "Windows 10 unsigned driver issue," this has been covered extensively. Also, there are reports of a Windows Update disabling the correct driver even if you went through the process and got it installed before so if you did, you'll have to do it all over again. Ah, the wonderful fun of Windows! (/sarcasm)

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
Search "Windows 10 unsigned driver issue," this has been covered extensively. Also, there are reports of a Windows Update disabling the correct driver even if you went through the process and got it installed before so if you did, you'll have to do it all over again. Ah, the wonderful fun of Windows! (/sarcasm)

I don't see the scanner in my ports anymore. my BCD436HP still works on the computer. it's just my TRX 1

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
It has to do with the comport driver whistler is using being "UNSIGNED" and windows 10 not liking unsigned drivers as they can be a serious security risk to those who are clueless with computers. So Microsoft thought to make windows 10 easier and "safer" they would not easily allow unsigned drivers and would purge them on every update ( or at least disable them).

WHISTLER really should step up to the plate and fix this inconvenience, SOONER rather then later in my opinion.

Last edited:

CycleSycho

:wink: If you do the 'unsigned driver' disable, be sure to re-enable it. After it is confirmed working, do a shutdown by holding the shift key while turning off. When it restarts, the unsigned driver safety is re-enabled. Your driver is not affected by this re-enabling BUT when Windows again 'resets' this (like it does occasionally), you'll have to disable it again to get the driver reloaded. Of course, after that, you'll have to re-enable the unsigned driver safety again. :wink:

:wink: Many people do not think it is necessary/wise to re-enable the unsigned driver safety, so if you don't care to have this feature (YES FEATURE), then do the disable and let whatever happens, happen. Good luck! :wink:

SCPD

QRT
Whistler does not have an unsigned driver, they are using the Microsoft USB driver. This one is 100% on Microsoft and a change they made in Windows 8 onward.

There is nothing wrong with the driver Whistler is using. I have been using my scanners for over 5 years and never any problems. But then .. I have been doing IT for over 20 years and know what I am doing. ;)

Btw .. maybe time for people to read the sticky at the top of this forum.

If you really want to learn about it .. here is a good resource. As is stated .. it is a lot of work to go through the process to fix this problem, which is really something MS could fix. But as users, seeing as how the process to fix it ourselves is readily available (you just have to read the sticky above), this is a pretty minor issue.

http://www.davidegrayson.com/signing/

Last edited:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Whistler does not have an unsigned driver, they are using the Microsoft USB driver. This one is 100% on Microsoft and a change they made in Windows 8 onward.

There is nothing wrong with the driver Whistler is using. I have been using my scanners for over 5 years and never any problems. But then .. I have been doing IT for over 20 years and know what I am doing. ;)

Btw .. maybe time for people to read the sticky at the top of this forum.

You are incorrect. The comport driver is unsigned and it is vital to doing CPU and DSP FIRMWARE updates. WIthout it working you cannot ever update those.

The microsoft driver is for the reading and writing to the micro SD card which has nothing to do with firmware updates just reading and writing to the micro sd card.

SCPD

QRT
Problems with Driver?

I have windows 10 and it works fine. You may have installed software that is conflicting with the Whistler driver or program. Uninstall the Ezscan and with the power off on the scanner let it find the scanner by connecting it via USB port and install the ezscan and driver again.If that flops use system restore and go back to the date when it was working.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Microsoft had a major Windows 10 upgrade Tuesday and Wednesday, so the upgrade could be the source of your problem.

SCPD

QRT
They should make the scanners MAC compatible so we dont have to suffer with Windows! Helloooooo Whistler......Helllooooo Uniden!

DJ11DLN

They should make the scanners MAC compatible so we dont have to suffer with Windows! Helloooooo Whistler......Helllooooo Uniden!
Don't know about Mac...but I think I could motivate myself to really learn Linux if there was a version of E-Z Scan (and Win500) for it. And I'm not talking running it in a VM. Scanner and radio CPS is about all I really "need" Windows for...I get really tired of MS's buggy OS and larcenous behavior and would love to just dump them.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber

Don't know about Mac...but I think I could motivate myself to really learn Linux if there was a version of E-Z Scan (and Win500) for it. And I'm not talking running it in a VM. Scanner and radio CPS is about all I really "need" Windows for...I get really tired of MS's buggy OS and larcenous behavior and would love to just dump them.

From your mouths to Gods ears!

g6fgy

Premium Subscriber
Another 'me too' for a Linux version! Whilst I can run windows in a virtual environment, it's often not convenient to do so as it sometimes doesn't play nicely with stuff I already have running on Linux at the time I want to make use of E-Z Scan etc.

DJ11DLN

Another 'me too' for a Linux version! Whilst I can run windows in a virtual environment, it's often not convenient to do so as it sometimes doesn't play nicely with stuff I already have running on Linux at the time I want to make use of E-Z Scan etc.
I've only played with it, using boot sticks for various distros, never made the commitment to really learn it because I need Windows and at my age it's hard enough to keep up with that. But if just E-Z Scan came out in a Linux version...I think that would overcome my personal inertia.

Hoping for the other radio CPS I use to go that route would be useless, though, so I'll be stuck with Windows till I stop needing to reprogram the occasional radio or pager. I suspect the commitment to the nursing home/mental ward, or trip to the cremation chamber will happen later that day.:lol:

AC9BX

I have EZScan on Windows 10 Pro build 1607 anniversary version used with my 1095, works just fine (minus the occasional error while transferring)

Whether it addresses this specific issue or not but as a heads up: Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, Education (there may be a method for Home but I don't know it off hand) except in earliest builds, there is a setting to include or exclude drivers with Windows Update. This has become an issue for many users with all sorts of hardware. If it works don't fix it. Things work, then Windows Update applies a new drivers, things no longer work.
In PC Settings > Updates and Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options
You can deselect "include drivers".
This can also be set by editing group policies or with a registry edit. Use these if the regular settings option is not available to you. The registry edit may work for the Home edition.

When installing hardware if you get a popup message "Do you want Windows to download driver software ... ?" You can answer NO, and choose "never install driver software from Windows Update"

Sorry there's more than one method and for the "IFs", but that's how it is with Windows. Different builds and different update levels, and manufacturer tweaks sometimes behave differently. There's no shortage of support forums with "my system doesn't have that option" out there.

Last edited:

kc2kth

I'll just add my two cents worth here. I've been running the Windows 10 "insider builds" for a very long time. I've had Creator for a couple of weeks now. I haven't run into this issue so I tend to agree with some in this thread that it is perhaps something in conflict vs strictly an issue with an unsigned driver (which is an issue and MS should correct that).

I'd happily run all of my radio software - the stuff I use my Windows computer for - over to Linux as well. I'd even buy the software if it was good enough (ahem Don!) vs what Whistler and Uniden provide. I'm using what is likely my last MacOS based computer. Next one will be Windows 10 or Linux depending on which one will run all of the software I need. I'm rather tired of dedicated computers for specific purposes. Heck put web servers in all the radios and make them configurable via browser and provide a RESTful API for advanced hacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.