Orange County P25 - Which Site To Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
From what I observed, one site will not get you everything.

If you want to hear Orange County, use the Simulcast site.

If you want to hear Orlando, use the Orlando Simulcast site.

There is some carryover between the sites but you won't hear everything if you only use one site.

CanesFan95

Thanks. Do they use simulcast that messes up our digital scanners? Or is it just 1 site?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thanks. Do they use simulcast that messes up our digital scanners? Or is it just 1 site?

Yup. That's why those two sites are called Simulcast.

I was there in March at two different locations. One received both simulcast areas just fine. The other received almost nothing despite decent signal strengths. Luckily I had other means to listen than just my scanners.

All I can say is take your scanner and hope for the best.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Yes LSM can be very nasty here in Orlando. It's hit or miss as Mike Oxlong and exportdawg maintained.

If you use the main simulcast frequencies you will get most of the action. You will not get a few Orlando public works talkgroups as well as most of the County Jail or Convention Center talkgroups since they normally affiliate to their respective sites only. But all OCFR, OFD, Medocom, and unencrypted LE groups can be head on the simulcast site frequencies.

CanesFan95

Yup. That's why those two sites are called Simulcast.

I was there in March at two different locations. One received both simulcast areas just fine. The other received almost nothing despite decent signal strengths. Luckily I had other means to listen than just my scanners.

All I can say is take your scanner and hope for the best.

And out of curiosity, what is this "other means" you speak of?

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
If simulcast is too much trouble for you and your scanner, get a Unication G5 or a Relm KNG portable. There are other options out there than just scanners.

CanesFan95

It's unfortunate that the scanners don't work well on simulcast P25. But the commercial radios cost a fortune and need a system key, except for the Relms.

TDR-94

I believe those still need the system key field filled in for Rx.Relm/BK just generates a "generic" key for those customers that want to program for non-affiliate Rx only

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
100% no key needed. I own 3 of them. Software has a "Rx" only option for the P25 systems. Just put in all the system info, and hit rx only, program your talkgroups, and your ready to listen.

G5 operates the same way. Enter all the system info, and your ready to listen.

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
I don't care what the forum says.

I own 3 UHF KNG's and a Phase II VHF KNG, all in which are programmed for P25 trunked systems; Rx only, and all programmed by myself using NeoVision 2.4.0

I'm not going to sit on here and argue back and fourth about something that you don't even own, and have no clue about. If you did own one, you would know that they DO rx only WITHOUT a system key.

End of discussion

TDR-94

For you maybe.

I wasn't arguing.I was just pointing out the info that was mentioned in the thread about needing a 'system key' from Relm to re-program a KNG2-P800.If you don't care what the forum "says" why get so aggravated?

Your argument is obviously with the forum.I don't need to own one to see info differs on the subject. Your statement doesn't hold anymore weight over those in the forum,so all I'm seeing is just a conflict of info until I find out more info from a 'credible' source.

SCPD

QRT
I don't care what the forum says.

I own 3 UHF KNG's and a Phase II VHF KNG, all in which are programmed for P25 trunked systems; Rx only, and all programmed by myself using NeoVision 2.4.0

I'm not going to sit on here and argue back and fourth about something that you don't even own, and have no clue about. If you did own one, you would know that they DO rx only WITHOUT a system key.

End of discussion

Works for me. If he says it works fine without that's proof enough. Forum posts by people that do not know what they are talking about. MegaHertz's post above proves it. This is why people post their experience with a given radio and not relying on someone's "I think I know" post. Everything posted by MegaHertz is great information on getting another radio to track a P25 trunked system as a receive only personality.

TDR-94

Just FYI, those on the forum were posting their 'experiences' with the KNG2-P800 and different versions of the firmware. So believing one over the other means absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.