• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DM5R-Plus Programming Help & Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I decided to put the radio on the shelf for a few months, and now wish to revisit the problem…

Is there anyone out there who can help me program this radio to simply Receive DMR transmissions, on a single frequency?

I have used the software to program the radio, loading the frequency (460.175 MHz), color code (5), timeslot (1) and talkgroup (10001) I wish to receive. (Information on this repeater is what is posted on Radio Reference for this agency.)

When the repeater transmits, I see a GREEN busy light, but the radio never unmutes.

Using a second (analog only radio), listening to the same frequency (460.175), I hear the digital noise of the repeater’s transmissions.

What am I doing wrong?

I have no DMR amateur repeaters within range to listen to, so that is not currently an option.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Possibly nothing. If there is traffic on talkgroups other than 10001, then you will see the RX activity light and an FM radio will hear DMR static, but the DMR radio will not unmute.

Verify that the talkgroup ID is correct. And verify whether there may be traffic from other talkgroups on that frequency/color code/timeslot.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are you sure your radio has has the Plus update? Radios without it cannot comm with anything other than other DM-5Rs.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Are you sure your radio has has the Plus update? Radios without it cannot comm with anything other than other DM-5Rs.

It was purchased new in box as a PLUS model. Box and radio labeled as such.

Any other way to verify?

I know about the slot-1/slot-2 issue with Baofengs, and to not use them to transmit to a repeater.
Only ever wanted to receive a local police department in the adjoining county, and was purchased solely for this function. (IE: A cheap scanner)
Radio works great in analog on ham, and FM Broadcast radio (which surprised me as supporting!).
What is driving me nuts is I can't get the thing to even receive DMR.
I programmed it for tx/rx DMR on a simplex frequency when I first received the radio, and it does TX in digital.

I appreciate any help and suggestions anyone can offer.

Last edited:

teufler

r u TRYING TO RECEIVE sTAUNTON, vA FROM mONROE, va. 65 MILES, THATS a long haul. If you are set up a 5-1-10001, move closer maybe, if thats possible.

teufler

465.17500 KUU525 RM CC 5
TG 10001
SL 1 StauntnPD 1 Police 1 DMR Law Dispatch 460.37500 465.37500 KUU525 RM CC 5
TG 10001
SL 1 StauntnPD 2 Police 2 DMR Law Tac 154.10000 156.03000 WPQE669 RM 123.0 PL Stauntn PW Public Works FM Public Works 461.32500 466.32500 WQOA868 RM CC 1
TG *
SL * StSch Buses School Buses DMR Schools 461.66250 466.66250 WQOK770 RM CC 1
TG *
SL *

might try the school or tac to see if you can hear.
StSch 461.66 Schools DMR Schools

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I've attached screenshots of a single channel/frequency that I listen to. The transmit frequency is set to a generic 150.000 as I do not want to or would be legal to transmit. Everything that I listen to with the DM-5R are single channel/frequency users (hospital, schools, etc.) and they all work well.

One thing that I learned from reading the manual is that the dual-watch does not work if either channel A or B is DMR.

I wish that CHIRP would be written for this radio, so that I can fix the squelch opening problem on analog channels.

Attachments

• CP5R DMR Channel.jpg
    CP5R DMR Channel.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,863
  • CP5R DMR Contacts.jpg
    CP5R DMR Contacts.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,803
  • CP5R DMR GroupList.jpg
    CP5R DMR GroupList.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,666

choco100

Thé réception un DMR mode with baofeng dm5r plus work
Only in mémoires mode notre in vfo mode i don t it id impossible in vfo but for me in memory no problem

kb4cvn

Silent Key
r u TRYING TO RECEIVE sTAUNTON, vA FROM mONROE, va. 65 MILES, THATS a long haul. If you are set up a 5-1-10001, move closer maybe, if thats possible.

Thanks for replying...

I have a Monroe mailing address, but I live close enough to the Parkway I can see the car headlights passing by!

I can hit most (all?) of the analog amateur repeaters in Augusta County with five watts 24/7. Also can copy all of the published analog public safety repeaters without issue.

And if needed, I have yagi's up for vhf, uhf, 700/800 and 900 MHz.

Today, I am running an errand in Waynesboro, and will check reception while I am there.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
465.17500 KUU525 RM CC 5
TG 10001
SL 1 StauntnPD 1 Police 1 DMR Law Dispatch 460.37500 465.37500 KUU525 RM CC 5
TG 10001
SL 1 StauntnPD 2 Police 2 DMR Law Tac 154.10000 156.03000 WPQE669 RM 123.0 PL Stauntn PW Public Works FM Public Works 461.32500 466.32500 WQOA868 RM CC 1
TG *
SL * StSch Buses School Buses DMR Schools 461.66250 466.66250 WQOK770 RM CC 1
TG *
SL *

might try the school or tac to see if you can hear.
StSch 461.66 Schools DMR Schools

Giving them all a shot today while I am over in Augusta County. Thanks.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
I've attached screenshots of a single channel/frequency that I listen to. The transmit frequency is set to a generic 150.000 as I do not want to or would be legal to transmit. Everything that I listen to with the DM-5R are single channel/frequency users (hospital, schools, etc.) and they all work well.

One thing that I learned from reading the manual is that the dual-watch does not work if either channel A or B is DMR.

I wish that CHIRP would be written for this radio, so that I can fix the squelch opening problem on analog channels.

Thank you. Printing out your images now.

Manual? Where did you find one ???

ECHELON-DMR

For all Baofeng DM-5R Plus User: 1. There are many versions of this excellent radio on the market. For HAM only 2 Versions S/N A0430 or A0451 , both with CPU Version A120216 are 100% and easy usable for repeater-com. Press Menue 35 in analog mode (Danger !!!! In some Versions which are not for amateurs, YOU HAVE TO PRESS Menu 37 !!! and not Menu 35 because in this not for HAM Versions Menue 35 is the reset button) and look which CPu Version (CP Ver.) is build in your baofeng. You can also recognise non Ham versions because in DMR Mode shift and offset mode is not possible (NONE or 000.000) And than, if you have the correct version of the DM-5R PLUS , you have to use the Programm CPS-5R, but in 100% correct way. Pease ask, that ist difficult. One click not correct, Callsign not correct, no ID .... and it doesn't work ! It was a hard Job but my Baofend is 100% perfect in worldwide DMR-communication. Remember: Baofeng does only work with shift when you have open the repeater !!! Without conection, shift is also not possible.

KD8DVR

For all Baofeng DM-5R Plus User: 1. There are many versions of this excellent radio on the market. For HAM only 2 Versions S/N A0430 or A0451 , both with CPU Version A120216 are 100% and easy usable for repeater-com. Press Menue 35 in analog mode (Danger !!!! In some Versions which are not for amateurs, YOU HAVE TO PRESS Menu 37 !!! and not Menu 35 because in this not for HAM Versions Menue 35 is the reset button) and look which CPu Version (CP Ver.) is build in your baofeng. You can also recognise non Ham versions because in DMR Mode shift and offset mode is not possible (NONE or 000.000) And than, if you have the correct version of the DM-5R PLUS , you have to use the Programm CPS-5R, but in 100% correct way. Pease ask, that ist difficult. One click not correct, Callsign not correct, no ID .... and it doesn't work ! It was a hard Job but my Baofend is 100% perfect in worldwide DMR-communication. Remember: Baofeng does only work with shift when you have open the repeater !!! Without conection, shift is also not possible.

The hardware in this radio makes it IMPOSSIBLE to use with tier2 DMR amateur radio. This is a well discussed fact which has been proven and discussed multiple times. No ham should ever buy this radio. Ever.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can also recognise non Ham versions because in DMR Mode shift and offset mode is not possible (NONE or 000.000) And than, if you have the correct version of the DM-5R PLUS , you have to use the Programm CPS-5R, but in 100% correct way. Pease ask, that ist difficult. One click not correct, Callsign not correct, no ID .... and it doesn't work ! It was a hard Job but my Baofend is 100% perfect in worldwide DMR-communication. Remember: Baofeng does only work with shift when you have open the repeater !!! Without conection, shift is also not possible.

The Baofeng DM-5R cannot be programmed or modified to transmit on a single time slot. This wastes battery power when transmitting and makes it impossible to use with a repeater without interfering with users on the other time slot. It's a lemon, and should never be used with a repeater. Frequency offset is not relevant to the hardware problem. Take your non-factual shilling somewhere else.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
That's why I use the DM-5R and plus for receive only.

From what I can tell, this is the only radio that is dual-band, DMR and covers from 480 - 512 MHz analog.

I wish that there was a better radio that I could buy that would do this, but I don't know of any....yet. I'm guessing that it is possible that the Motorola APX radios can do this, but they are way out of my price range. I I don't believe that the Kenwood NX-5000 series radios are dual band. The CSi CS750/760 are not dual band. I thought that the CS7000 was going to be it, but I understand that it will not be dual band. The Anytone AT-D868UV is dual band, but does not go above 480 MHz.

I honestly can't think of any other radios that meet that criteria, but I'm open to suggestions.

Take Care,

Rich

ECHELON-DMR

DMR-5R Plus workes very fine in the correct CPU-Version A120216

Perhaps in the old Version called DM-5R (without PLUS), perhaps in the US-Versions. This cheap Radio works in Germany ultra fine, in Brandmeister and other DMR-nets. No problems here with Timeslot 1 or 2, Thier I and 2 ??? ! But only those radios with built in CP.Ver (CPU Version) A120216 are usable on german ham-repeaters !. The CPU A120216 is built in the models A0430, A0451, A0049 (look on the radio under the accu) and only these version are made for amateur radio, amateur repeater and HAMs ! The other models are for industrial use, security service, secret service and so on...

ertony

LOL

Hate to break it to you, but the "secret service" isnt using baofeng radios hahahaha. To the OP... Without looking at your radio and settings its hard to tell... But it SOUNDS like you do not have your "receive group" set up properly. You have to have the talk groups you want to monitor in a receive group list and it must be assigned to the channel your listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.