Winnipeg Fire and EMS (no more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amduscias

Today, WFPS switched over to their new radio system. (FULL ENCRYPTION)

Now all Essential services are fully encrypted.

Winnipeg Fire and EMS will be taken offline in 24 hours

SCPD

QRT
Today, WFPS switched over to their new radio system. (FULL ENCRYPTION)

Now all Essential services are fully encrypted.

Winnipeg Fire and EMS will be taken offline in 24 hours

Can I say I am surprised .. ? The answer .. absolutely not. I expect in all major Canadian cities very soon there will be nothing left to listen to.

I was told .. "we have seen this before". My answer .. no, we have never had encryption before. This is a game changer and many here have their heads in the sand, pretending it is not happening. The truth .. it is happening.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
never get used to it, just as when digital came out except there was a small hope.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
One of the reasons cited for the justification of full encryption was the existence of "unauthorized streams" of their communications'.

I can kind of see why EMS wanted encryption (patient privacy), but the WFD? Seriously. No encryption needed. They're just tired of whackers showing up at calls.

Another issue (IMO) was the media's criticism of WFD availability times vs. HUGE SALARIES they keep insisting they're entitled to.

Documents show widespread ‘availability’ for Winnipeg firefighters - Winnipeg | Globalnews.ca

Winnipeg firefighter ‘availability’ time nearly 30% higher than industry standard - Winnipeg | Globalnews.ca

For those who don't know much about the new system: It's a Harris 700 MHz P25 Phase II multi-site-simulcast network (not multicast), with full AES-256 Over-The-Air-Rekeying (OTAR). It's not possible to monitor, even with a stolen radio. Completely secure.

WPS is moving to the new system next month.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
One of the reasons cited for the justification of full encryption was the existence of "unauthorized streams" of their communications'.

That and it's a great selling point for full encryption. I've been listening to EMS for year and never broke the golden rule of keeping what I heard between the ears, (or the local media for $$ tip of the month lol) I was asked to stream when I first moved here (YXE) I said no but there was someone who was doing that but I'm told he was physically shut down.

One day there will be no more EMS anywhere. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.