436HP DMR Upgrade question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleop

I'm going on a road trip in the next few weeks and I've started updating my 436HP for the trip. I just saw the DMR upgrade and was wondering a few things. A lot of the information I'm finding by Googling is from late last year so some of my questions were coming soon in late 2016 but I can't find they were implemented.

Have DMR stations started to make their way into the database?

If I just pick a service or frequency range to scan will it stop and decode DMR stations?

Will I get a Close Call hit on DMR stations?

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
I'm going on a road trip in the next few weeks and I've started updating my 436HP for the trip. I just saw the DMR upgrade and was wondering a few things. A lot of the information I'm finding by Googling is from late last year so some of my questions were coming soon in late 2016 but I can't find they were implemented.

Have DMR stations started to make their way into the database?

If I just pick a service or frequency range to scan will it stop and decode DMR stations?

Will I get a Close Call hit on DMR stations?

1. Yes, DMR is popping up all over the place.

2. Yes, search will pick them up.

3. No, close call will NOT pick up any DMR frequencies, something about the duty cycle of the signal that is not long enough to trigger close call.

Hope this helps.

battleop

I'm trying to do the update and trying to figure out the ESN and Check sum has got to the most frustrating thing I've done in a while. I entered my SN and then I enter the last 9 digits of my SN plus the last 3 of the SN for the check sum and it says it's wrong.

Would it kill Uniden to give us some clear instructions on how to get this information?

The 9th from the last character in my SN appears to be a Z with 8 numbers. When I enter that Z + 8 Numbers I get "Please go back and enter the last 9 numerical digits of the serial number. NO 0 9"

Then I try again removing the Z and I get "The ESN number you entered is not 9 digits in length. Please recheck your input to ensure that you have entered the last 9 digits of your scanner's serial number into both serial number fields. "

Just incase their idea of a 2 really looks like a Z I tried it again using the 2 and I get "The Checksum you entered is not valid. Please recheck your input to ensure that you have entered the last 12 digits of the ESN correctly (the first 5 digits are prefilled for you). For more help, click the "Where is my ESN?" link on the registration page."

When I go to the registration page I can't find the "Where is my ESN?" link the site is referring to.

I'm trying to give Uniden money and they are doing their best to make this as complicated as possible.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Use the serial number from the same screen as the check sum. It changes the Z to something like 26.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to do the update and trying to figure out the ESN and Check sum has got to the most frustrating thing I've done in a while. I entered my SN and then I enter the last 9 digits of my SN plus the last 3 of the SN for the check sum and it says it's wrong.

Would it kill Uniden to give us some clear instructions on how to get this information?

The 9th from the last character in my SN appears to be a Z with 8 numbers. When I enter that Z + 8 Numbers I get "Please go back and enter the last 9 numerical digits of the serial number. NO 0 9"

Then I try again removing the Z and I get "The ESN number you entered is not 9 digits in length. Please recheck your input to ensure that you have entered the last 9 digits of your scanner's serial number into both serial number fields. "

Just incase their idea of a 2 really looks like a Z I tried it again using the 2 and I get "The Checksum you entered is not valid. Please recheck your input to ensure that you have entered the last 12 digits of the ESN correctly (the first 5 digits are prefilled for you). For more help, click the "Where is my ESN?" link on the registration page."

When I go to the registration page I can't find the "Where is my ESN?" link the site is referring to.

I'm trying to give Uniden money and they are doing their best to make this as complicated as possible.

All of the requirements, procedures, and information for all aspects of acquiring the DMR upgrade are clearly spelled out here:

DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

That includes the difference between the serial number, and the electronic serial number (ESN). If you read it carefully, you won't have any problem with the DMR upgrade. Nothing complicated about it.

battleop

This is stupid... So I enter a serial number but I have to change the 2 to a Z but then the site complains about the Z?

battleop

So if your SN is 37626041234567 in the radios information screen you have to enter it as 376Z41234567 by replacing the 260 with Z as 37626041234567. Then when you enter the ESN you have to convert the last 9 back to 041234567.

This is the most retarded thing I've ever seen. This reeks of incompetent programming someone's part. Why in the hell do we get half *** instructions to do this conversion? In 2017 they can't just take the actual SN?

UGH!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So if your SN is 37626041234567 in the radios information screen you have to enter it as 376Z41234567 by replacing the 260 with Z as 37626041234567. Then when you enter the ESN you have to convert the last 9 back to 041234567.

This is the most retarded thing I've ever seen. This reeks of incompetent programming someone's part. Why in the hell do we get half *** instructions to do this conversion? In 2017 they can't just take the actual SN?

UGH!

Well, most folks don't have any problem with following the instructions. Try reading it again, very carefully.

battleop

Before you decide to be snarky realize the Uniden sited does not link to the instructions. You have to find that on your own.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's in the section clearly marked "Getting The Upgrade" which is indexed at the top of the page. The snark is warranted.

battleop

Negative. I went back to the page were I registered the scanner and there is no such link.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Try checking here, like you were told.

All of the requirements, procedures, and information for all aspects of acquiring the DMR upgrade are clearly spelled out here:

DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

That includes the difference between the serial number, and the electronic serial number (ESN). If you read it carefully, you won't have any problem with the DMR upgrade. Nothing complicated about it.

battleop

Well I guess you will have a story for the lunch table today about how you put some guy who was frustrated with an asinine procedure in his place. Congratulations on your superior intellect I'm sure it will take your far in life.

battleop

Just an.FYI. I drove about 450 miles today down i75 and I got a good. Number of DMR hits along the way with the Close Call running.

Status
Not open for further replies.