• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom M88 - Land Mobile Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3WTV

I posted about this a few years ago, because I couldn't get my CS-M88 software working. I have tried off and on for several years, to no avail. A few weeks ago, after talking to a rude Icom engineer in Vancouver, I realized I had the wrong cable, which cost about $20.

I have since purchased the right cable - for $130 - and after spending countless hours looking for the right drivers to get this to work on Windows 10, everything is working perfectly now.

Just so you know, Windows 10 does not come with COM & LPT ports. You need to download a driver for that.

So, now for the programming part. My M88 is the IS version - intrinsically safe. That is supposed to mean that it comes with 22 land mobile frequencies. By holding down the CH/WX button, the radio scrolls through U/I/C/L modes. U is USA, I is international, C is Canadian, and L is Land. With this selection button, the readout should say LAND when it is selected. Mine does not. I'm thinking there must be a setting in the programming that allows the LAND function, but I can't find it.

When playing around with the two programs I have, I see no settings for the Land feature. I have posted the Land frequency list below, but nothing here has anything to do with enabling the Land feature. I want to use only amateur frequencies, but I don't know enough about the 2M band yet to know which ones to choose, or how to change the settings. I know I can enter a frequency I want to use, just by overwriting in a space, but I wouldn't know which ones to use. Looking over this page (http://wp.rac.ca/144-mhz-2m-page/) doesn't help me much. It would be nice to be fishing on a boat and be able to communicate on the marine band and the 2M band with the same radio. Two radios could ruin the fun, or a fishing buddy might get annoyed with my toys when he just wants to fish.

I am also posting an image from the M88 Adj program. The rude engineer in Vancouver also told me not to mess with this program. He said if I changed any settings, I would render the radio completely unusable. Those settings are way above my pay grade, but I thought there might be a setting in there to unlock Land/Mobile. If it's there, I don't see it.

Attachments

• CS-M88 free channels.jpg
    CS-M88 free channels.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 368
  • M88 Adj.jpg
    M88 Adj.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 361
  • CS-M88 channel selection.jpg
    CS-M88 channel selection.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

VE3WTV

I found it!

I had to click on the 'Common' setting under the file 'Common.'

I hope this will help other M88 users customize their radios.

Attachments

• M88 expert setting.jpg
    M88 expert setting.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 328

Sparkybc

So did you figure out how to program it?

I activate the land and entered freq etc in the Free when I program it I still can’t see the new channels I made...

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am still looking for a radio for when we are ATVing. Maybe this would be a good choice.

FKimble

The program screenshot looks very similar to the Standard Horizon (Vertex) programing setup for the HX400 marine radio. It allows you to program up to 40 empty channel slots for anything from 136-174. It has all the Marine stuff pre-programed and it also has the U,C,I setup. I use it for 2m HAM. Since it's waterproof, I use it for foul weather events etc. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

Frank KK4YTM

VE3WTV

While I figured out how to reprogram the radio, I don't have my ham license yet, and therefore don't know what frequencies I would want to use, or what ham frequencies are in use in my area, so I left the frequencies as is. The only change I made was to unlock the LAND frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.