Ham repeaters in Redwood Meadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi,

Just curious why VE6EIT, VE6JE, and VE6RAY are suddenly in the Redwood part of the database?

EIT is in Bragg Creek if anywhere, which is part of Rocky View County.
JE is probably the same, but I have never heard of it until today.
RAY is on Hwy 762 south of Bragg Creek which is actually in Foothills Municipal District.

I can absolutely guarantee that none of them are in Redwood Meadows itself as I am responsible for the only tower present in that small town and my agency is the only tenant on it.

mciupa

Database Admin
There were seven day old submissions that were getting stale in the queue. No other DB Admin picked them up so I worked them.

I will make amends. Thanks for your input! :)

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
This could have been my mistake. Inadvertently said Redwood Meadows rather than Rockyview/Bragg Creek. As Repeaterbook.com has all three listed as Bragg Creek, I thought Rockyview and not Foothills especially for VE6RAY who has a Bragg Creek address. But I have no problem with it being listed in Foothills as I was attempting to have these repeaters listed in their correct vicinity. And did not review county boundaries but just went with owners address. This was an attempt to update various repeaters in the Calgary area that have changed sites, and also list some that are not in the database.

mciupa

Database Admin
This was an attempt to update various repeaters in the Calgary area that have changed sites, and also list some that are not in the database.

This gives me the impression that the frequencies were not verified through monitoring. :(

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Some are verified. Unfortunately for the Calgary area I requested verification, but little response. So I sent in what I could verify. The ones for Airdrie, Cochrane are verified on air and from clubs websites and repeaterbook. The VE6RAY is from repeaterbook and was discussed by hams on Wednesday but I did not hear the repeater myself. If you would like to PM me I can go over each one and give you more information.

mciupa

Database Admin
Perhaps consult with thundermedic on the details.

Thanks! :)

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
They are all off air

I'm finding as an admin of both RR and RepeaterBook that lots of things are added and never updated, when I was in Bragg this week nothing was in the air.

I would recommend only submitting from repeaters you can verify yourself, and when in doubt, contact the admin listed on RepeaterBook

Last edited by a moderator:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
VE6EIT at 449.800 with TSQ is again listed in Repeaterbook.com. Now listed as near Cochrane but I cannot get into it from Calgary. Has anyone else heard this repeater on the air? I know Ian you say to contact admin on Repeaterbook but I want to know if anyone has heard this repeater.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
VE6EIT at 449.800 with TSQ is again listed in Repeaterbook.com. Now listed as near Cochrane but I cannot get into it from Calgary. Has anyone else heard this repeater on the air? I know Ian you say to contact admin on Repeaterbook but I want to know if anyone has heard this repeater.

I would contact the repeater Admin / sponsors. In this case it’s via the website hamradios.ca

VE6GIE and I contacted him last fall and there was no update on when things were going to be on the air.

I know the issue in this area is that it’s a lot of reserve land and even AFRRCS and TELUS have coverage issues in the Bragg Creek / Redwood Meadows area.

I would also talk to Jay911 to see if he can reach out to the sponsor.

If the pair is off the air, and has been for a year, perhaps you should contact VE6AFO and ask that the pair be given to a HAM or group in the area that will make use of it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If the pair is off the air, and has been for a year, perhaps you should contact VE6AFO and ask that the pair be given to a HAM or group in the area that will make use of it.

Yea right. Like that will ever happen. Alberta coordinators don’t recycle off air pairs... they just tell you there is nothing available, and basically make you figure it out. When you give them a frequency, they tell you that a repeater was coordinated 20 years ago on that frequency(but never went on air). Then you get to play back and forth about how it is not on air, and has never been on air. Add in people that seem to think a frequency is ‘theirs’ even if it was coordinated 20yrs ago, and never went on air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay911

Feed Provider
I would contact the repeater Admin / sponsors. In this case it’s via the website hamradios.ca

VE6GIE and I contacted him last fall and there was no update on when things were going to be on the air.

I know the issue in this area is that it’s a lot of reserve land and even AFRRCS and TELUS have coverage issues in the Bragg Creek / Redwood Meadows area.

I would also talk to Jay911 to see if he can reach out to the sponsor.

I'm not involved with the Bragg Creek "club" if there is one.

I do know that Joop had a hell of a time convincing anyone to let him put up a tower in the area. It's not so much the First Nation as it is landowners and bureaucratic/political red tape, as far as I recall. I believe the existing towers are all full and nobody wants to let anyone else come join the party, and somebody has come up with a reason why a tower can't go up on any new site that has been proposed - ground's too unstable, not zoned properly, etc etc etc.

On the topic of the UHF EIT machine as it appears in RepeaterBook - if you'll allow me to pick nits for a bit, it's not in Cochrane. The "Notes" field says Richards Road x Range Road 265. (That's got to be a typo - it's either Township Road 265 or Range Road 65.) From where it's plotted on the Google Map on the repeaterbook.com page, it's at the junction of Richards Road and Highway 40, which is well inside the Municipal District of Bighorn, and several dozen kilometers away from Cochrane. The two closest towns are Waiparous Village and Benchlands. I'm not surprised people can't hit it from Calgary - you'd be lucky if you could get it from the 1A west of Cochrane. The location of this site is a dozen or two km south of MKGBRD (I forget the repeater but it's the one we use(d to use) on car rallies and is co-located on the FireNet Mockingbird Hill site).

On topic for the thread: No repeaters currently active adequately cover Bragg Creek or Redwood Meadows.

beeperboy

On topic for the thread: No repeaters currently active adequately cover Bragg Creek or Redwood Meadows.

I could probably install something at Moose Mntn, but I'm reluctant to get involved with the ham clubs again. They've burnt me in the past.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I could probably install something at Moose Mntn, but I'm reluctant to get involved with the ham clubs again. They've burnt me in the past.

I find it easiest to work with a few like minded friends while making sure I retain ownership of everything.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber

I don’t blame you! That and with the politics of all the local ham groups, and the fact they don’t have engagement of their membership, I wouldn’t anytime soon (except for FARS). There would be use of a machine in that area, but wait until the right offer comes up.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I know there are different characteristics between UHF and VHF but I can usually hear the MKGBRD VE6GAB repeater from Calgary, in fact I am getting a good signal tonight. I do find signals are better in the winter than summer. But I am not hearing anything from the 449.8 but really not surprised.

I am surprised by the coverage of 146.85 along highway 66 and Powderface Trail. As well as 147.06 at least down to highway 66. I did not do a lot of listening to other repeaters on Powderface but did hear 444.75 with a good signal about half way between highway 66 and 68 where there was no cell coverage.

I did hear one of the FARS frequencies [145.17 or 145.19] at the same spot so if anyone is out on Powderface Trail during the summer, these are options that one could use. Certainly Moose Mountain would be a good place, but I will leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay911

Feed Provider
He had no connections to Redwood Meadows. He had a purported connection to Bragg Creek (which is like the difference between St Albert and Spruce Grove) but even that is proving to be tenuous, from what I have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.