Frequencies in a new mode. Can I no longer listen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBN1979

I have a Pro-96 and absolutely cannot afford a new scanner at this current time. I live in Oakland County so its open sky around here and i cannot pick up MPSCS towers at all from my home. Obviously, I need to look for other stuff to monitor.
I cannot pick up business trunked systems because Im told that my radio cannot decode them. So, no more towing companies.
Im getting the same "machine" noises now on the frequencies for Rencen, Somerset Collection Security, Oakland Mall Macys security, and St John Macomb security. According to the database, it looks like Providence Hospital is using this new "mode" too.
Am I out of luck, or can I do some tweaking/adjustments with a Pro-96 to hear those again?
If not, what kind of scanner do I need to upgrade to? I have a birthday coming up soon and might ask family to pitch in and collectively buy me a radio that picks up security and towing. And hopefully will pick up MPSCS finally.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Only the newest scanners will pick up DMR, which can be the "machine" noise, but there are many older models that can handle P25 and trunking without problem. I sent you a PM. Maybe it will help.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
My suggestion is to upgrade to a new scanner. Your best choice for this area is the Whistler TRX-1 if you want a handheld, otherwise the TRX-2 for a base/mobile setup. Both of these scanners will hear analog, Project-25, DMR and NXDN. The programming software is free as are future firmware updates. Best pricing is on Amazon.com, generally around $450 or there about. They are great scanners; unfortunately, the Pro-96 is getting pretty old but it'll still work okay for most of the MPSCS system and analog. Most of Southeast Michigan is going to be Project-25, DMR, and NXDN these days.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
You didn't mention what part of the county you are in, which can make a pretty big difference. If you were listening to somerset and Oakland mall security I would have to guess you are somewhere in or around Troy. There are many local fire departments around the county that still partially or fully simulcast on their old VHF/UHF analog frequency. Southfield never switched to closedsky so you can hear them on UHF analog. You may be able to pick up the Southfield MPSCS tower... have you tried? You may also be able to pickup the Macomb County simulcast of the MPSCS, though I will admit as an owner of the pro96 it was never good at decoding simulcast systems. You might also try getting Warrens system, last I checked they were still using a single site P25 system.

PBN1979

You didn't mention what part of the county you are in, which can make a pretty big difference. If you were listening to somerset and Oakland mall security I would have to guess you are somewhere in or around Troy. There are many local fire departments around the county that still partially or fully simulcast on their old VHF/UHF analog frequency. Southfield never switched to closedsky so you can hear them on UHF analog. You may be able to pick up the Southfield MPSCS tower... have you tried? You may also be able to pickup the Macomb County simulcast of the MPSCS, though I will admit as an owner of the pro96 it was never good at decoding simulcast systems. You might also try getting Warrens system, last I checked they were still using a single site P25 system.

I live in NW Hazel Park, right near the intersection of the 2 freeways.
I was monitoring those channels while in Troy, though. The Warren frequencies sounded like they were being shared with other MPSCS users. At home, none of the MPSCS towers come in. When I'm in Troy, I can pick up activity on some of them.If they do come in at home, its only 3 or 4 words until the signal drops.Warren Police and Fire was always very fragile and broke up a lot. Things like Schools and code enforcement were much stronger. I can get Southfield, and even though the reception is poor, Dearborn PD. I also can get Troy and Madison Heights FD (MH had a dispatch toneout on 155.7150 last I knew). I actually did get Somerset security at my house, though not very clearly.

freqs

I live in Warren 11 and Schoenherr .What are you looking for Base Mobile or Hand Held?
I have a Radio Shack 652.Base and a Uniden 436 Hand Held .The 652 does well but I use a outside Antenna
it does not do the DMR and Turbo modes .1 thing to remember the 96 that was mentioned does not cover 700 meg some MPSCS Towers have 700 meg freq within..There is talk of Warren going to MPSCS ??? not sure when
.Ive noticed that Warren gets choppy over by 11 and Dequindre .Almost all Fire and DPW Road Commision is still Analog in Oakland County so that's great for you a few Cities have gone to DMR .
I love my 436 it took some time to get a idea how to use and program it .Iam 53 and just not good with computers at all .so it took a bit and watched youtube for help with software use .I did the upgrade on the 436 and learned how to use the software for it and it has gave me tons more monitoring options .I suggest the 436 or 536 just my thought . I have seen them used for 300 range and up .

Last edited:

moonbounce

What about an RTL-SDR dongle for $20-25 and some free software like DSDplus 1.101, SdrSharp, Unitrunker. They will decode just about anything not encrypted with the RTL dongle. Or a Discriminator tapped radio with DSD 1.74, again it will decode just about anything any scanner can do plus DMR.

MB

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
What about an RTL-SDR dongle for $20-25 and some free software like DSDplus 1.101, SdrSharp, Unitrunker. They will decode just about anything not encrypted with the RTL dongle. Or a Discriminator tapped radio with DSD 1.74, again it will decode just about anything any scanner can do plus DMR.

MB

that would be what I would do if I could not buy a new scanner which that is what was stated in the first post. I did that with 2 of them and now stream Allegan county EDAC Provoice.
It does take some work to get these going but nice and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.