PA State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP2

Does PA have a State Wide System? Can it be monitored? I see they're using Open Sky with no talk-groups listed.
Thanks
Mike

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Yes PA has a Statewide OpenSky radio system, Yes PSP is on the PAstarNet system and are not monitorable.

PA is in the Early testing stages of a 5 year buildout and then rollout of a p25 phase 2 Statewide system, this will replace the OpenSky system.

PSP will also be on this new system, when it rolls out over the next 5 years, but due to full system encryption, still will not be monitorable..

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Yes PA has a Statewide OpenSky radio system, Yes PSP is on the PAstarNet system and are not monitorable.

PA is in the Early testing stages of a 5 year buildout and then rollout of a p25 phase 2 Statewide system, this will replace the OpenSky system.

PSP will also be on this new system, when it rolls out over the next 5 years, but due to full system encryption, still will not be monitorable..

I knew there was speculation that any new system would end up encrypted, but this is known fact now?

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
for counties that are already using a p25 either phase 1 or phase 2 system, it is going to be quite simple to have cross connected tg for PSP, PEMA ect. to talk with County units.

From what most of us have heard or seen or read, it is highly unlikely there will be any unencrypted talkgroups on the new p25 PA StarNet system.

as for Counties that are not on a p25 system, then however methed they have been using since PSP / PEMA moved to the OpenSky PA StarNet system, will still be in use.

with everything that PSP has gone through, they are highly unlikely to change now.

YMMV

For the county I am in, PSP covers half the Municipalities and I for one would love to be able to monitor PSP on the new system. I know some of the PSP patrol units have County EDACS radios, as I have heard them on the rare occasion that they grace us with there presence and talk to us low county folks... Our County is also in the begining stages of a New p25 phase 2 Countywide Trunk system to replace our aging and EOL EDACS TRS. It will also be Encrypted for all Law Enforcement Agencies.

But the 2 p25 systems will give instant access to both PSP, PEMA, and our County services and extended coverage to PSP units.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
~snip~

For the county I am in, PSP covers half the Municipalities and I for one would love to be able to monitor PSP on the new system.

~snip~

Similar situation here in Delaware County, the PSP covers 5 townships and 2 boroughs in the western half of the county.

Where I live I used to be able to listen to the Media (Used to be Franklin Center when I was younger IIRC) barracks as well as the Philadelphia units. They could be a little difficult to follow, with cars on one frequency and dispatch on another but at least you could hear something.

NodrogCop

My understanding - at least for Lancaster County - is that PSP is using dual-band mobiles and the county systems are being programmed in their radios.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
I know for a fact that PSP Media units have APX radios programmed with the DelCOM channels. I've seen the channel plan. They can talk on any of the main channels, if they really want to.

Yes, they can often be heard on sector 3 (Chester city), especially during the times when they are on special assignment working with Chester PD. Recently, it was announced PSP will be again dedicating a patrol to Chester in the near future.

Also, sometimes they operate special speed details, using radar guns and radioing to the locals about which cars to pull over.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I'm used to hearing them on Sector 3, but that was the first time that I've heard them on Sector 1. I can't remember if it was 81 or 84 car.

Septa3371CSX1

It is my understanding that all PSP units have radio equipment for the counties the barracks operates in.In some cases they patch through the Open Scam system to talk to locals (I've heard them patch into Philly's T Band before). They identified as PSP and a unit number on T Band. On DELCOMM they identify with the barrack name and unit number. Not sure how they do it elsewhere.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday, I heard "Media 24" talking on Sector 1.

I know for a fact that PSP Media units have APX radios programmed with the DelCOM channels. I've seen the channel plan. They can talk on any of the main channels, if they really want to.

Many PSP units can communicate with local police on their the locals dispatch frequency

I just heard DELCOM calling for the PSP at the Media barracks on the COMMAND channel, it took a minute or two but the PSP did respond. DELCOM advised they were unable to get a call through to the barracks via the phone, they wanted to let them know about a couple accidents in their jurisdiction. PSP acknowledged and DELCOM told them where the accidents were and said they'd keep the PSP advised about the phone situation via the COMMAND channel.

ETA: half hour later and DELCOM is still using COMMAND to advise of calls they need to pass on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.