Ludlow/Cadiz Listening...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Hey all. Looking for guidance. I have to spend a little over a week coming up between Ludlow and Cadiz for work. I was hoping I might get some help with a couple questions.

-Which is the correct San Bernadino County System/Site for this area?
-Does fire operate conventional or trunked in the area?
-Would CHP be the primary agency for the area?
-Is Barstow the correct CHP Dispatch for the area?

I appreciate any and all help! Thanks...

allend

Premium Subscriber
What I would do is program all of the San Bernardino County TRS systems into your radio. This is so you can see what control channels you can pull in from far distances. You are going to be way in the middle of the desert to where you might not hear much. Also, program all of the conventional fill in frequencies for SBDCO too.

As to CHP you will want to program in the output and the input into on scanlist for Barstow. You will not hear much anyways since not much happens in the middle of the desert. You might hear a little on the output from Barstow CHP. You will not hear much or anything from the mobile units since the CHP Barstow is not repeated. If you have any mobile units within a certain distance you will be able to hear them on the input frequencies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
What I would do is program all of the San Bernardino County TRS systems into your radio. This is so you can see what control channels you can pull in from far distances. You are going to be way in the middle of the desert to where you might not hear much. Also, program all of the conventional fill in frequencies for SBDCO too.

As to CHP you will want to program in the output and the input into on scanlist for Barstow. You will not hear much anyways since not much happens in the middle of the desert. You might hear a little on the output from Barstow CHP. You will not hear much or anything from the mobile units since the CHP Barstow is not repeated. If you have any mobile units within a certain distance you will be able to hear them on the input frequencies.

Thank you sir. I appreciate the guidance.

PaulNDaOC

County Fire has jurisdiction in all areas east of the Newberry Springs Fire Dist to the Colorado River.

The closest station to Ludlow is 52 in Harvard on I-15, but it is just a PCF station, so aren't considered the first-in here.

Stations with jurisdiction to both Ludlow and the Rt 66 area respond from the 29 Palms area, the closest being 45 in Wonder Valley with a paid crew.

There is also a BLM station north of Essex inside the Mojave preserve about the same distance away, and closer to the freeway, and are also responded on some calls. It's called the Hole-in-the-wall Fire Station, Engine 3639, and possibly seasonal.

There are so few residents out there that funding or staffing vollies or a PCF station isn't feasible.

Last edited:

markclark

Premium Subscriber
You need to plug in the conventional fill in channels for that area. Look in the database for the Brown Butte and Tiefort Peak sites. You could receive Mt. Rodman that far out depending on where you're located. Programming all the other county systems won't help at all. In fact those systems won't reach that remote area. Also, Barstow is the dispatch point for those Ludlow. You might receive Needles off Spirit Mountain, it's patchy in that area but Barstow is the system and conventional fill frequencies you generally want to monitor.

avdrummerboy

That area is covered by SbdCo Fire, as stated station 45 is the closest out of Wonder Valley. MBA (my agency) is the ambulance service out there, the second in is Station 32 in Needles. The trunked system is a bit hit or miss out there, systems 1 and 4 are located on the Rodman mountain site and you'll probably to hear both of them. The fill in sites are the most commonly used out there, Fire-5, Law-5, Gov-5 being the main one out there, Fire-2, Law-2, and Gov-2 being the other one that tends to work out that way. It is Barstow CHP that covers the area but as has been said you probably won't hear much out there.

PaulNDaOC

County fire does assign fulltime paramedics to the Sheriff's Aviation program that can respond to this area also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.