Unknown, possible HAARP, 5125 kHz, May 21, 22, and 23, 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

For the last couple of days I have been looking at a signal that has some of the earmarks of HAARP.

Starting about 2130 UTC on May 21 and 22, 2017, what appeared to be a dead carrier came up on 5125 kHz. The carrier transmitted on a 3 minute cycle every 10 minutes.

On May 21 it came up at XXX7:00z and off at XXX0:00z. I mean for example, the carrier started at 2337:00z and stayed on the air until 2340:00z. Then it was off air until 2347:00z, and transmitted until 2350:00z. Then on at 2357:00 and off 2400:00. Etc, etc, 3 minutes every 10 minutes, starting on the XXX7:00 mark. It did this from about 2130 UTC on May 21 until about 0750 UTC on May 22, or roughly 10 hours of operation.

Further, there occasionally appeared to be some very low frequency modulation on the carrier, for example at 0400:00z - 0403:00z tonight it had swept modulation on it, starting at about 15 Hz and going to about 23 Hz, although most of the time all I could detect was a little 120 Hz hum (which I have seen on HAARP before.

And then on May 22 at about 2130 it started up again. Still on a 3 minute on per 10 minute cycle, but tonight it starts at XXX0:00z and ends at XXX3:00z. I mean it starts on air at 0020:00z and goes of air at 0023:00z, then back on the air at 0030:00z and off at 0033:00z, etc, etc.

Right now (0400 UTC, May 23) the signal is still cycling.

I have seen these kinds of signals for the last few months, off and on, but never really looked at them closely until yesterday. By the way, these signals are heard on remotes across the US and in Europe.

Why do I say this might be, maybe, to be considered, HAARP? The signal strength and characteristics are consistent with past HAARP observations. The bearing of arrival is consistent with past HAARP observations. The low frequency modulation is consistent with past HAARP observations. And finally the 120 Hz hum is consistent with past HAARP observations. Not one of these things, by themselves, is a good indicator, but taken together I think it is worth considering HAARP as a possible source.

T!

ridgescan

T-I don't know if this matters, but I also observed the same DC on WTTW's BC freq of 5085 in place of WTTW's usual AM BC, with the same "hum". Now at 0445UTC, and exactly when the DC went off on 5125, the carrier remained on 5085, but the hum on 5085 stopped.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Check out the HAARP web page. I didn't see a schedule, but I did see mention of 10 hour per day transmission cycles.

I hope some day they repeat the 40 meter EME experiments!

Token

I grabbed a screen shot of some of the activity.

This waterfall is about 35 minutes in time, 0419 to about 0454 UTC. It captures 4 transmit / rest cycles. You can see that every other transmit cycle has some kind of low frequency modulation on it while the others have none. Unless the fundamental audio is lost in received carrier noise it looks like the modulation sweeps, in 3 minutes, from about 15 to about 23 Hz.

I have seen this type of low frequency, low level, modulation on past confirmed HAARP transmissions. Not to be confused with the higher level sweeping tones HAARP also uses at times.

165512221.ocwtRQ7M.jpg

Larger image here:
http://m1.i.pbase.com/o10/50/78250/1/165512221.b0bGJYtz.Poss_HAARP__0420z.jpg

T!

Token

Further information after reviewing recordings;

At 0600, May 23, the transmissions changed. It was still the 3 minutes per 10 minute cycle, however now the 3 minute transmission was broken up into a 3 second on and 1 second off cycle within the 3 minutes.

Also noted that alternating 3 second cycles were stronger and weaker, and the strong ones appeared to have the VLF audio modulation on them. This lead to a closer look yet, and I now believe that every transmission seen may have the VLF audio on it, however I was not initially able to detect it on the slightly weaker ones

At a guess, HAARP was alternating X mode and O mode operations, as the power delta between the strong / less strong transmissions is about equal to the delta observed between X and O mode operations. In past confirmed HAARP operations O mode was about 10-12 dB stronger than X mode, and that tracks with these observations.

Transmissions apparently (based on Twente SDR 24 hour plot) ended shortly after my last recording ended, which was at 0748 UTC. I suspect there was one or two more cycles after that, possibly ending at 0800 UTC.

T!

KB7MIB

So who brought HAARP back online, and when? The last I had read, the USAF was looking for a buyer, and had reportedly partially disassembled parts of the facility.

John
Peoria, AZ

Token

So who brought HAARP back online, and when? The last I had read, the USAF was looking for a buyer, and had reportedly partially disassembled parts of the facility.

John
Peoria, AZ

University of Alaska, Fairbanks, Geophysical Institute.

The main parts that were disassembled were the transmitter modules, each one had the PA tube removed. UAF spent the last year putting the transmitters back together. There have been a few test transmissions during the TX rework. In February 2017 the first series (that I am aware of) of experiments were conducted under UAF GI, including one with the goal of inducing the Luxembourg affect. As I understand it they were only at about half power for those tests as all the TX modules were not yet repaired. They are operating under the experimental callsign WI2XFX.

Here is a video of my reception of the Luxembourg experiment, as well as a couple of other tests during that cycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQThVcaQvOc&t=49s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414idhqxieg&t=13s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ws1RJ7QHus&t=277s

There are more in my Youtube channel.

T!

Last edited:

ridgescan

0350UTC I see the carriers started again, in 3-second intervals 5125kHz. I put it in CW mode and the tones are very clear.
EDIT-this one only went 5 minutes. PS-why am I hearing Brother Stair on 5129.8kHz? As if he wasn't on in enough places.

Last edited:

Token

ridge, tonights activity started at 0140z. At 0151z they started the 3 seconds on, 1 second off OOK (On Off Keying) cycle. Starting at 0208z they started doing this cycle in 6 minute time slots, 6 minutes of this OOK transmission, followed by 6 minutes of no transmission, then into 6 minutes of OOK, etc. This cycle continued until 0400z. After that it went to long periods of transmitter on with modulation, but no clearly defined on / off cycles.

At this time (0625z) the transmitter is off air, it last ended at 0620z. If the past couple days are an indicator it will be back, and should continue until after 0730z. Since it started as late as it did tonight the end time might be significantly latter.

T!

ridgescan

Thanks Token for the exacting measures and this thread. HAARP stuff is fascinating to many of us out here and you're well-equipped to meter these thing out accurately, and kind to share.

SCPD

QRT
Pretty decent signal here near Cleveland Ohio. It was 3 seconds on 1 second off, and just stopped now at 1105 PM EDT.

Token

Also up daily on 8175 kHz for a couple of hours before shifting to the 5125 kHz freq. I had not noticed it before, but it was pointed out to me today and checking my recordings it is indeed there.

T!

Token

This is probably not HAARP, but rather is probably Arecibo. The two frequencies, 5125 and 8175 kHz, are dead on for freqs they use.

Kodos to Chris Smolinski for solving this one. He contacted HAARP and they said they were not active, and then he found a published schedule for Arecibo that shows HF operations for the correct dates and times.

And the archived schedules for Arecibo solved some "unknowns" in my logs.

T!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.