NXDN and Police Services in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering purchasing a Whistler TRx-1 to monitor two Ontario police services currently using NXDN NEXEDGE 9600.
I understand that if the NXDN is encrypted they obviously cannot be monitored.....?
How do I determine if these NXDN systems are encrypted and/or if the scanner I'm looking at will monitor them>
Just new at this NXDN and have been researching my question with no luck.

Thanks!

sirsmiley

All the police services that use nxdn to my knowledge are all encrypted. If you listened to an output frequency that's not a control channel you'd hear garble.

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
Oh darn. So scratch that idea. Thanks for the help

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I don't believe LaSalle PD are encrypted. Pretty much all the others are though. But to answer your original question you would have to use DSD+ and monitor a few transmissions to see if they are in the clear or not.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
Okay, thanks for that.I'm in Ontario. Still not quite sure how to find out if this particular police service has encrypted NXDN.

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply Forts. I'm really out of the loop when it comes to NXDN, etc. The police services I'm wondering about are in Bruce and Grey County Ontario. The Bruce County one is the Saugeen Shores Police Services and the Grey County one is Owen Sound Police Services.

I'll research DSD+ to learn more about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.