Been away a long time. Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinebeers

Hi there. Looking for some help. Hoping it's an easy question.

I haven't had my scanner on in probably 5 years and just fired it up and am wondering if the frequencies that I had programmed in there before would still be valid? I live in Okotoks Alberta and quite a number of years ago a very nice man from this site programmed my scanner for me. He included what seemed like every emergency station within 100 miles of Calgary.

Now I'm just looking to get the local emergency stations to listen to and am wondering if my scanner is even still relevant. It's a Uniden Trunk Tracker 4.

Any help anyone could give me sure would be appreciated. From what I can tell all the programming in my scanner is in frequencies like 156.600 but when I did a search on the site here it sounded like i needed to be on channel A2 now. I searched throughout the scanner but had no luck finding anything like that.

Anyhow that's all just a poor fella who can't figure his scanner out any more haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinebeers

Okotoks fire and RCMP

Hi there. I'll be honest I don't know much about scanners but own a Uniden BCD396 XT scanner. Will I be able to hear the rcmp local peace officers and fire with this scanner? I think I have the right frequencies programmed in but am not hearing much on those channels.

Long story short I'm wondering if this scanner is still useful for listening.

Thanks for your help

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Look at the Database for Foothills frequencies. Okotoks fire is NXDN so your scanner is no good for that. It can receive the RCMP frequencies for now but they will soon move to AFRRCs and will then be encrypted. However, most fire, except a couple, are still scannable with your scanner. It might be worthwhile considering another hobby.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You'll hear RCMP just fine.

Okotoks FD is on a NXDN digital channel which is not decodable by your scanner. Only the latest Whistlers are reported to decode NXDN, and even that is iffy as far as I've heard. I've yet to hear of someone successfully monitoring Okotoks FD.

Further frequency information here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=5038

alpinebeers

Thanks for the reply Jay. Much appreciated.

Is it possible to hear peace officers? Or do they is the same channels as the RCMP?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply Jay. Much appreciated.

Is it possible to hear peace officers? Or do they is the same channels as the RCMP?

Forgot to mention peace officers. They're on the provincial AFRRCS network, which you can receive on your radio. I can't link because I'm on mobile right now but it's in the DB.

alpinebeers

That's for all the help Jay. In the foothills database would these be listed as by-law west and by-law east? It seems very generic but maybe all peace officers use these frequencies in the foothills area? Just seems like a broad area

Jay911

Feed Provider
I think Foothills bylaw/CPO is on pretty much any of their public safety channels, from the sounds of it. I do hear some of them getting unit contacts at various times on the fire channel. I don't really listen to them myself so that's the best I can offer, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.