Noob with SDR Question re: Unitrunker and EDACS ESK

Status
Not open for further replies.

badgenes

I am trying to follow calls on San Antonio's EDACS system using ESK. When tuned to the control channel I don't get any call following, or I am doing something wrong. If I scan the frequency range around that or use the FCC listed frequencies I hear call conversations but its random as I don't get entire conversations due to the constant scanning required. I am decoding with DSD+, that part of my configuration seems to be working fine. What am I missing with Unitrunker?

I get talkgroup info when tuning to our local transit system, should I be seeing this when tuning to the system using EDACS ESK?

Thanks in advance.

SCPD

QRT
Hello Gene;

Posting an image of your setup will help.

What radio(s) are you using? How are the radios configured? Images of the "Info" and "VCO" tabs will help a great deal.

badgenes

setup info

running nooelec nesdr lastest zadig driver.
sdr#, using vb-audio cable, I am getting audio into unitrunker and dsd+ as I can see some info, and decode voice traffic. perhaps I am not using unitrunker correctly if it should be following conversations on this EDACS with ESK system. pictures follow:

Attachments

• uni-1.JPG
    uni-1.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 260
  • uni-2.JPG
    uni-2.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 266
  • uni-3.JPG
    uni-3.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 256

SCPD

QRT
Hi Gene;

The RTL SDR isn't running - at least not in the image posted. Does it start when you click the start tool?

UniTrunker | Realtek RTL2832U

Make sure no other program is trying to use it. SDR# with "own" a device if it selected - even when SDR# isn't actively streaming data from the SDR.

Turn drift correct off. You can add it later if needed after you've got things working.

Follow the calibration procedure (see link above) to find a working warp correction value. Even the low-drift models will benefit from this.

Your immediate goal is to get good control channel data from the first VCO to drive the calls activity panel on a site window.

The second VCO (voice role) has audio output set to VB Cable. This normally goes to the PC speaker.
The second VCO digital output looks correct for use with DSD or DSD+.

Follow the squelch procedure (see link above) for the second VCO to allow listening to analog calls.

pinkfish457

Your park frequency on the signal VCO and the voice VCO are the same frequency. This will cause the system to lock on to the same frequency and not scan. I had an EDACS system here in Slidell. You need to change the voice VCO frequency to 851.000. This will allow the voice VCO to look for the next active voice channel. If you have any further questions, I can post an old EDACS VCO as examples.

I would also suggest you use two SDR dongles for an EDACS system, one for signal and the other for voice.

badgenes

ok, I have a second nooelec nesdr and will get that setup. however I notice that when tuning what I THINK is the correct frequency for control I get static...perhaps I don't understand the listings for the San Antonio EDACS system. i've attached picture of the listing, can you perhaps explain to me what frequencies are the correct control channels? or are all of these repeated control signals? i.e. I am tuning 856.4375 and get nothing but static. is that repeater perhaps too far away? I realize these are probably totally n00b questions and truly appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Sean

SCPD

QRT
Run a program like SDR# and look for signal peaks in the 851-860 Mhz range. Become familiar with the sound of an EDACS control channel.

Write down each control channel frequency. Adjust the gain in SDR# for optimal reception.

Compare the frequencies to what is listed in the RR DB. If the frequencies don't match - there is a good chance your RTL needs to be calibrated. The Window value in the VCO tab will help tell you if you are out-of-tune.

Shut down SDR#, start Unitrunker. Apply similar or higher gain settings in Unitrunker. Plug in the frequencies you found above. You should see a site window appear within a few seconds.

badgenes

ok, calibrated, found control channel, now I get site info in Unitrunker! I have my analog audio going to headphones, digital to vb-audio cable input. dsd+ is using vb-cable output for its input but I don't see any audio going into the cable or coming into dsd+. almost there, appreciate all of your help and of course the software to do it. anything else I am needing to do to follow the voice traffic once site window is up? cant help but feel like I am missing something there.

badgenes

Also I don't see any frequencies listed in the site view, nor can I locate the "Listen" in main program window options, the last fields are RR account information.

badgenes

I figured out that I needed to populate corresponding site channel numbers manually with frequencies, resolving the issue of no audio or following. this thanks to older posts by unitrunker regarding edacs systems. as I do no relish manually entering talkgroup info I subscribed. thanks for the help!

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I figured out that I needed to populate corresponding site channel numbers manually with frequencies, resolving the issue of no audio or following. this thanks to older posts by unitrunker regarding edacs systems. as I do no relish manually entering talkgroup info I subscribed. thanks for the help!

FYI, if you get a Premium RR account you can automatically import the system into Unitrunker, including talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.