Hocking county Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecatohio

Trying to program my radios (scanner, 2-way and a pager) for tone out.. but they aren't tripping. Looked on RR wiki for the county and put them all in but nothing trips them.. think may be wrong or off... if anyone has info it be greatly appreciated... need Logan fire, ward township and ems station 1 & 3.. thanks yall...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

medic611

Trying to program my radios (scanner, 2-way and a pager) for tone out.. but they aren't tripping. Looked on RR wiki for the county and put them all in but nothing trips them.. think may be wrong or off... if anyone has info it be greatly appreciated... need Logan fire, ward township and ems station 1 & 3.. thanks yall...

Information in the wiki was correct when I submitted it, and I know this because at one point I had programmed nearly every radio in the county, but that was a few years ago. I can tell you since narrowbanding the coverage has decreased and with EMS sites being narrowbanded they had to install station radios at 2 and 3 the switch to MARCS may eventually end the VHF system altogether.

firecatohio

I guessed so... I think I put the alert tones in wrong to not trip the pager or radio...

skipper123

Noticed the sheriff main ID was mostly encrypted today. Hope that don't set trend through the whole county

firecatohio

Only thing that won't be is fire/ems dispatch on vhf high band.. but after full MARCS switch it all will be.

skipper123

Pretty sure they are marcs now too! Looks like it might be time to put the scanner on ebay. Don't know why they need such secrecy when they got so many other ways to keep things quiet.

firecatohio

Everything is operating on MARCS, except dispatch.. the whole reason for going encrypted is because there are people sharing private info and security to people.. HIPPA actually has thing about it.. not to mention the FCC states using a scanner to commit crimes is a big no no... which is sad really to ruin it for the hobby guys.. but for the ones like myself involved in public safety, it protects me, but now I hafta re do my radios...

skipper123

Well I wonder when the OSP will go encrypted then ? I know their tactical has been encrypted for awhile now. There will be a flood of Ohio scanners on Ebay when that happens. It's a shame the scanner will be a thing of the past here before long it looks like. It will make it harder for the public to help them now, sometimes they have actually got useful real time tips from people who can hear what is going on.

Nasby

Yep. Encryption sucks for sure.
On a good note, its not likely OSP dispatch will be encrypted. Their command staff favors encryption only on Tac channels.

medic611

Everything is operating on MARCS, except dispatch.. the whole reason for going encrypted is because there are people sharing private info and security to people.. HIPPA actually has thing about it.. not to mention the FCC states using a scanner to commit crimes is a big no no... which is sad really to ruin it for the hobby guys.. but for the ones like myself involved in public safety, it protects me, but now I hafta re do my radios...

HIPPA has absolutely nothing to do with going to encryption, as cell phones have been used to give hospital reports in that area for over 10 years, The SO is the agency doing encryption, yet they have 3 tac channels to use encryption for, in lieu of encrypting dispatch. The irony here was the buzzword of interoperability was to promote everyone being able to talk to each other, then they want encryption which hinders and stops interoperability. What Hocking has always needed is to put a dispatch channel on the old SO voter system so everyone in the county is dispatched off one pair of frequencies and everyone in the county can hear it. However, that doesn't meet the political agenda of the area and of some agencies.

skipper123

Good post I totally agree! That's what I meant when I said they got other ways of being quiet if that's what they truly need. Three tac channels should be plenty enough! I always wondered how encryption worked with communicating with other agencies who could help them in a time of need for quicker response time. Looks like that will be another setback for them if something should happen where they need quick help!

firecatohio

There channels are encrypted. With the new MARCS system there 1000s of other channels to go to. If there is a bad enough incident that needs multi agency communications then they us a LECOMM channel etc

medic611

You're giving them too much credit the SO has 1 person dispatching in a space no bigger than a 6x6 room, the 911 center was designed to have 4 dispatch positions and for a few years had 3 people working in it, and they still couldn't get things correct during busy summer weekends. That was when one position was for LPD, other 2 for Fire and EMS. Recently I spoke to a dispatcher at 911 and the few talk-groups now they have there's more confusion, and you think it's easy to just change to a different talk-group and it gets better? What needed to happen was consolidation, training, and written SOP. However in the land of "this is how we have always done it this way", training and consolidation never will work. Funny thing is it was proposed long ago to move to MARCS, and the statement from EMS was they were always "BROKE" with a few million dollars of carry over a year, and growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.