• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question on GMRS Channel changes for 2017 - Are they re-aligning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbiddle813

Premium Subscriber
Hi -

I am reviewing the GMRS/FRS Changes under the FCC 2017 updates and reviewing the channels on Radio Reference here.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

Am I reading this correct in that there is a realignment of the GMRS Channels? As I am looking at this, it appears the channel numbers are changing. Am I reading this correctly? Or am I just reading it incorrectly?

nd5y

The only change to GMRS channels is that the 467 MHz interstitial channels (FRS channels 8-14) can now be used by GMRS stations with 0.5 W. They were formerly FRS-only.

The channel numbers 1-22 are what the FCC now calls "FRS Channels" and are what 2 W bubble pack radios use. Other than that they are meaningless. There are no official GMRS channel designators that I know of. I don't know where the GMRS channel names on the old chart came from. Maybe PRSG named them.

The complete FCC Report and Order is at http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2017/db0519/FCC-17-57A1.pdf

bill4long

The only change to GMRS channels is that the 467 MHz interstitial channels (FRS channels 8-14) can now be used by GMRS stations with 0.5 W. They were formerly FRS-only.

GMRS is now available on channels 8-14, using 5 watts not 0.5 watts.

In order to accommodate these existing lower power combination devices in the FRS, we are increasing the maximum authorized radiated power limit for FRS channels 1-7 from 0.5 Watts to two Watts, and making the GMRS 462 MHz main channels available to the FRS for use on a shared basis with GMRS. The new channels will be numbered FRS channels 15 through 22, and the FRS power limit for these channels will be two Watts ERP.

In addition, we redesignate FRS channels 8 through 14 (theinterstitial channels between the GMRS 467 MHz channels, which formerly were designated exclusively for FRS) to GMRS for use on a shared basis with FRS. They will be available to GMRS operators under the same technical limits that currently apply to FRS.137 We retain the five Watts ERP limit for GMRS operation on the 462 MHz interstitial channels. Consequently, all FRS frequencies will now be shared with GMRS, while the eight GMRS 467 MHz main channels (repeater input channels) will remain exclusively GMRS.

In the nutshell:

FRS: all those bubble pack radios that exist now do not require a GMRS license on channels 15-22, and they can use up to 2 watts on all channels 1-22.

GMRS: you can now transmit on channels 8-14 using 5 watts.

Everything else remains the same with regards to frequencies and power.

Last edited:

rescuecomm

Don't look over the fact that the power limit for FRS is now 2 watts Effective Radiated Power. Depending on the antenna efficiency, that could be as much as 4 to 5 watts at the antenna terminals.

Bob

n1das

Don't look over the fact that the power limit for FRS is now 2 watts Effective Radiated Power. Depending on the antenna efficiency, that could be as much as 4 to 5 watts at the antenna terminals.

Bob
Those permanently attached antennas are effectively not much better than a leaky dummy load at UHF frequencies.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.