BCD536HP Carrier Indicate Signal (COR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I need to connect my BCD536HP to an external (hardware) recording device and don't want to use VOX due to the delay. So I need a COR, or Carrier Operated Relay/Carrier Indicate Signal. I was hoping the speaker leads would exhibit a DC transient when the audio PA is turned on, but that isn't the case.

Is there a COR signal present on the DB-9 connector on the rear? Or do I have to dig inside to make a connection?

I have done this many times before, but without a schematic it will be a hassle.

Thoughts?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Not exactly sure of your application needs, but have you tried Proscan? I use it to record and it records with vox off.. It detects activity. It uses the programming / usb power cable and a 3.5mm wire connected to line in on the sound card. Works good for my needs.

Attachments

• proscan.JPG
    proscan.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 280

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Proscan uses a USB/serial data connection with the scanner to know when a transmission is being received, so hacking into the scanner internals is not necessary.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I cant use those recording programs as I need to connect to some existing hardware so my options are.

Hack the scanner and find the unmute or COR signal.

Some kind of integrated VOX audio delay module. Yes there are audio delays and vox modules, but I can't find both in one module.

Some sort of PIC based circuit that decodes the unmute status from serial data. This might have its own delay.

Of the above, getting a raw unmute signal from the scanner seems the easy route, however there are no schematics for the scanner that I can find.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would go with something that decodes RX start/end from the scanner serial data. The serial data from the scanner is publicly documented, the schematic is not.

Unless you set the scanner to light the display during RX and tap off the display backlight circuitry somehow.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The Wi-Fi dongle also can be used for retrieving the protocol data so the DB-9 connector can be used for other purposes.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You will never find schematics either - Uniden considers them proprietary.

Can you use the output from the Proscan data - feed stream?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Addition - it HAs to be in the serial protocol - as Proscan WILL record for the length of transmission - even with no audio.

I've lost audio yet still have seconds of dead air.

serial commands here

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/Un...CDx36HP_RemoteCommand_Specification_V1_03.pdf
It's really not clear from the spec what data might be used to activate the recorder. It would have to be something that coincides with audio unmute, otherwise pro scan would have to buffer a stream of audio in anticipation of a signal indicating channel activity.

I don't have that luxury in this case.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
You can check the GLG command return data. GLG,,,,,,,,,,,, is no activity and anything else is activity

{edit} "activity" defined as squelch breaks on a conventional system and TGID's heard on trunking systems.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

You can check the GLG command return data. GLG,,,,,,,,,,,, is no activity and anything else is activity

{edit} "activity" defined as squelch breaks on a conventional system and TGID's heard on trunking systems.

GLG or GLT? I see no GLG in the command list.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
GLG or GLT? I see no GLG in the command list.

Definitely GLG. The "BCDx36HP_RemoteCommand_Specification_V1_03.pdf" doc may not be complete but GLG works. Another command is GSI but that requires extra parsing that's not really necessary in this context.

From another scanner type protocol reference
<COMMAND GLG>
Get Reception Status
Controller &#8594; Radio
GLG[\r]
Radio &#8594; Controller
GLG,[FRQ/TGID],[MOD],[ATT],[CTCSS/DCS],[NAME1],[NAME2],[NAME3],[SQL],[MUT],[SYSTAG],[CHAN_TAG],[P25NAC][\r]
GLG,,,,,,,,,,[\r]

RFI-EMI-GUY

I do not own a 536, but dose the radio have a programmable Alert Light function you could use?

It has that, but as far as I know it times out after a few seconds. I thought about a light sensor, but then I have to worry about ambient light falling on the sensor.

JamesO

If you end up hacking the radio, most of the audio amp circuits have a Squelch and a Mute pin. Not sure the timing difference between the Squelch and Mute signal, but the Mute signal it what I might attempt to use.

When I have time, I have a bunch of 996XT and 996P2 I plan on putting Carrier Indicator Lights so I can easily figure out what radio is squawking.

Status
Not open for further replies.