Another morning without Calgary police

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalgaryActive

Just like yesterday, CPS are spending the day on their backup system.

Considering we're about a month and change away from CPS going to full-time encryption, best to get used to the silence now.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Just like yesterday, CPS are spending the day on their backup system.

Considering we're about a month and change away from CPS going to full-time encryption, best to get used to the silence now.
Not sure why you are hearing silence - all eight districts are in the clear on AFRRCS.

Jay911

Feed Provider
It's likely you aren't hearing anything at all on CMRN - there's a system update in progress. As far as I know, everybody is on their backups.

Microscan

It's likely you aren't hearing anything at all on CMRN - there's a system update in progress. As far as I know, everybody is on their backups.

Is this just CPS using AFRRCS for a temporary backup in place of the now defunct iDen? I did notice that CFD and CTS remained active.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I was led to believe that the core would be going offline - the sites would be in site trunking so still operational but not linked. I definitely heard some LRT related traffic on TAC's TRBO system.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I had heard Calgary Transit would be on back up on Saturday and Sunday between 0900 and 1500 hours roughly. And using hand helds only.

CalgaryActive

Definitely getting ready for the big switch. Portables with encryption are already being handed out, a lot of them are accidentally leaving them on encrypted mode.

Get your listening in while you can, fellas. Few weeks and it'll all be gone.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
CalgaryActive said:

Brave new 1988 again.

Last edited by a moderator:

masonb

What prompted this change? I do not recall even hearing about this until now

CalgaryActive

What prompted this change? I do not recall even hearing about this until now

People in the know have been aware of this move for some time.

As to why... same reason any police department encrypts their comms. I've heard that moron who posts police incidents on Twitter hasn't helped matters.

CPS encryption has been pushed ahead again, this time they're saying mid-August before it goes full-time.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Some guy tweets (and now posts on Facebook) dispatches he hears.

Oh, so for the sake of one fool, the rest get shut out? They should shut the one guy down for illegal repeating what is heard of the radios, and let the rest of us enjoy this decreasing hobby.

smason

Oh, so for the sake of one fool, the rest get shut out? They should shut the one guy down for illegal repeating what is heard of the radios, and let the rest of us enjoy this decreasing hobby.

Obviously it's not just this guy, nor the live feeds that pop up now and then.

What I find interesting is back in the 70's and 80's it was pretty easy to listen. Walk into any Radio Shack and there'd be a scanner running behind the counter, anyone could buy one. They weren't cheap (in relative $$) but not overly expensive. Fast forward to now, I suspect over half of the general public who are even remotely interested, and a good percentage of Police, already thought digital = encryption.
Even an old acquaintance of mine I bumped into a couple years ago didn't know there were P25 scanners.
About a year ago my wife was dealing with a CPS officer in her business, and casually mentioned we sometimes listen at night, and he told her it was impossible, their system hasn't been monitorable since the
move to the Trunked system.

Is it that difficult to listen today? No, but you need to go find the info, find one of the (relatively) few scanner models that can do it, and pay the $.
So I have to think there's a smaller percentage of people listening today, than back in the 462 MHZ days.

I suspect it's more just the way the industry is going. Other cities are doing it, the radio companies are pushing it hard. Syetem already supports it, etc.
Can't mention the effect live feeds in other cities may or may not be having on the industry as a whole, as it's verboten here. :)

$0.02 from a long time (old) radio enthusiast.

Status
Not open for further replies.