• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR6550 Purchase Advice - Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhartman

Premium Subscriber
I've gotten hooked on ham DMR. I have always loved Motorola stuff and would like to upgrade from my starter rig - TYT MD-380 to a XPR6550 (UHF). I'm homing in on the 6550 because it looks like a lot of radio for the money right now.

I have an appreciation for the expense and challenges with programming. Setting that aside, is there anything that I need to worry about as I shop for a unit? I saw a post once that mentioned a particular version of the 6550 that wouldn't work for ham DMR on the UHF bands. I can't find the posting any more. If it's true, and someone can give me some details I would appreciate it.

I'm eager for any suggestions, recommendations, gotchas that folks are willing to give.

Thanks a lot,
Jeff - KD0TNH

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you want a 6550 that works on the ham frequencies without having to hex edit the codeplug, look for model H55QDH9LA1AN, which is the UHF Band 1 (403-470 MHz) split.

H55TDH9LA1AN is the UHF Band 2 (450-512 MHz) split, which would require a PIA hex edit of the codeplug to get it down below 450 MHz. Two lousy things about hex editing a MOTOTRBO codeplug: #1 if you read the radio after programming it with the modified codeplug, you wipe out all of the out-of-band frequencies and #2 performance may suffer somewhat since the radio wasn't intended to work below 450 MHz.

Price wise the 6550's are fairly cheap and people are upgrading from them all over the place so there are many to choose from, that's probably the reason why he is. That's the reason why I've been looking into the 6550's myself.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

jhartman

Premium Subscriber
I would prefer a 7550. It comes down to the money. It seems like the 6550's can be gotten for 1/2 the cost.

jhartman

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply GTR8000 that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time.
Jeff

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Also ask if the volume (on off) knob is in good working condition.
many of the 6500 and i think the 6550 were affected by a bad batch of knobs.
When you turn the unit on /off there is a solid clicking feel. On many units that clicking has worn off and the knob should be replaced.
I had one like that and found a guy who didnt mind and purchased it off me.
Not sure how wide spread it is but its an issue on many.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I've gotten hooked on ham DMR. I have always loved Motorola stuff and would like to upgrade from my starter rig - TYT MD-380 to a XPR6550 (UHF). I'm homing in on the 6550 because it looks like a lot of radio for the money right now.

I have an appreciation for the expense and challenges with programming. Setting that aside, is there anything that I need to worry about as I shop for a unit? I saw a post once that mentioned a particular version of the 6550 that wouldn't work for ham DMR on the UHF bands. I can't find the posting any more. If it's true, and someone can give me some details I would appreciate it.

I'm eager for any suggestions, recommendations, gotchas that folks are willing to give.

Thanks a lot,
Jeff - KD0TNH

One draw back to this radio is that it will not hold the entire DMR user ID database. If you don't mind only seeing RID numbers instead of name and call sign it is not a big deal.

You will also need a wide band EID to be able to program analogue ham stuff as well. You will need a legit copy of CPS along with a MOL account to get the wide band EID. If you have someone local that already has it, along with CPS then not a big deal either.

There are better DMR radios out there, as someone else suggested, the XPR-7550 is a much better radio, and although more expensive, better bang for your buck.

Although I am not a Motorola fan, they are solid radios, and I have used them in an industrial setting, on a trunk system and they performed quite well, recovering full audio at signal strength levels that would be completely unintelligible if it was analogue.

jhartman

Premium Subscriber
Well, you guys have me thinking I need to hold out for the 7550. As I was warned with the 6550, is there any particular model of the 7550 that I need to make sure and get for ham use?

Thanks again for all the input,
Jeff

It's the same thing, just watch for the brand split that you want to work with. Make sure it's in the ham bands.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
One more thing to consider..

The XPR7550 won't accept an external antenna. The XPR6550 will. If you plan to use the radio handheld only in close proximity to a repeater, then the 7550 would be the best choice.

In my case, I live in the country. The two DMR repeaters I use are both about 30 miles away. Accessing them with a handheld is marginal at best. But, when I connect my XPR6550 to the dual band vertical antenna mounted on top of my 40 foot tower, the signals are solid.

Also, when mobile I connect the 6550 to my Larsen dual band antenna mounted on my vehicle. This gets me much better range.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I too started out with XPR65xx radios and quickly got my hands on a XPR3500 then picked up a couple of XPR7550. I must say from experience i really like the 7550 portable. Other then the odd antenna connector they chose to go with im really liking the unit. I opted for the tuned stubby antenna and i think the unit has an excellent receiver in it and great audio.
The 3500 is also a great radio but limited to 120 channels. Stil if you get one cheap enough go for it.

jhartman

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to you all for the replies! This is good stuff. I believe I have decided to go down the 7550 path.
I really appreciate it.
Jeff

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Glad you decided on the 7550, I use a 6550 daily and hate the damn little thing. The 7550 in the hand just feels like quality, compared to the 6550, which feels...well, a little weird and odd shaped. Mine also has the volume knob that doesn't physically indicate when your shutting it off or on...I am used to turning to zero volume then turning up to a known comfortable sound level, but on my 6550, I get to wait 10 seconds as the radio gets turned off...ugh.

Paul

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
One draw back to this radio is that it will not hold the entire DMR user ID database. If you don't mind only seeing RID numbers instead of name and call sign it is not a big deal.

On the other hand, we've gone for years without seeing the call sign of the other party. I rarely ever look at the ID display, unless I want to look up someone in the database. Like today, when a guy decided it was a good idea to experiment with texting on a network of 23 repeaters. I'm sure he'll be getting replies for some time to come.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to you all for the replies! This is good stuff. I believe I have decided to go down the 7550 path.
I really appreciate it.
Jeff

You won't regret it. That was my first DMR radio purchase. My mobiles and event gokit are XPR5550, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

And if I may address the antenna a bit. I've seen many website conversations and overheard other conversations bemoaning the XPR7550's study antenna. I''ve had absolutely no issues with it. I normally run on low power. On low power, I've conversed on the Pikes Peak analog machine from 92 miles away.

Motorola isn't Pooslung, Batdung, or whatever the "Inexspensive" brand of the week is, this week. Thier technical standards are unbeatable. If they deliver it with an antenna, be assured, it's an antenna that works. You don't see Police and FIre agencies buying aftermarket antennas for their Moto radios.

Some of the aftermarket bling is just that, Bling. Longer bling to smack other people with as you walk around at the hamfest. Buyer beware.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It looks like you already made up your mind, but I do have two XPR6500s for sale in the classified area. The volume switches as well as the cases were replaced so the on/off works great. They each do 1000 channels and hold 1000 contacts.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=8522

As another member stated, you cannot use an external antenna on the 7550, but you can on the 6500/6550. These are solid little radios. I have two and was looking for $350 for each.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
You won't regret it. That was my first DMR radio purchase. My mobiles and event gokit are XPR5550, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

And if I may address the antenna a bit. I've seen many website conversations and overheard other conversations bemoaning the XPR7550's study antenna. I''ve had absolutely no issues with it. I normally run on low power. On low power, I've conversed on the Pikes Peak analog machine from 92 miles away.

Motorola isn't Pooslung, Batdung, or whatever the "Inexspensive" brand of the week is, this week. Thier technical standards are unbeatable. If they deliver it with an antenna, be assured, it's an antenna that works. You don't see Police and FIre agencies buying aftermarket antennas for their Moto radios.

Some of the aftermarket bling is just that, Bling. Longer bling to smack other people with as you walk around at the hamfest. Buyer beware.

Im very happy with the stubby antenna on my XPR7550.

Status
Not open for further replies.