Meter Lamp R71a

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What you describe as a "mount", I assume, is the bulb base. The bulb assembly (bulb, base, and two wires) can be pulled from the back of the S-meter. The replacement bulb assembly is available through Icom parts, if you choose. When I replaced mine, I simply connected the wires of the new bulb assembly to the existing wires, which saves having to do more disassembly and soldering to the local board. I may be wrong, but as far as I know, the bulb cannot be removed from the base. Considering this is a fairly common operation, perhaps someone else can share their experience with this.

ridgescan

Appreciate the reply. Yeah I meant to ask if the bulb was removable from that rubber base-I'll do it the same as you. But I have a ton of spare bulbs here. I need to see if these bulbs are 12v..I was hoping I could just stick a 12v bulb in that meter hole and call it a day. But I know that rubber base keeps dust out of the meter works.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
The bulb assemblies were $3.98 each two years ago, and I bought two at the time. As you suggest, the rubber base is probably instrumental in keeping dust out of the meter. But it's also effective in ensuring it doesn't become dislodged at some point. You wouldn't want to remove all those case screws again if you didn't have to, would you? :)

ridgescan

The bulb assemblies were $3.98 each two years ago, and I bought two at the time. As you suggest, the rubber base is probably instrumental in keeping dust out of the meter. But it's also effective in ensuring it doesn't become dislodged at some point. You wouldn't want to remove all those case screws again if you didn't have to, would you? :)
Good one! I just happen to secure the top case with only 3 screws as I have to occasionally get in there to massage the pesky C78 pot when it floats and to blow out accumulated dust. I will order the proper bulbs! Edit-where did you buy yours? I can't locate a seller so left a message with Icom. Thanks Bob.

Last edited:

ridgescan

I thought I had better revive this thread to let other R71A owners know that, contrary to what the techs at Icom stated, they DO NOT still stock the original meter lamps replete with the proper sealing gasket base that plugs into the meter housing for dust protection. They sent me lamps that will work as they are the proper voltage/amps, however they are about half the size of the original bulb, have bare copper leads instead of the original coated leads, and I had to fab a seal around the new tiny bulb for dust. I contacted them to ask why they did this, and they assured they would get back to me, but blew me off. At least the bulbs they sent do the job.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Here's the bulb Icom shipped me two years ago:

Attachments

• IMG_20170709_003746-01.jpg
    IMG_20170709_003746-01.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.