I got a Yaesu FTM-350
FTM-350 Programmer V4u
Precision Mapping 9.0
Acer Aspire One PC, Windows10.
Everything works, but it takes about an hour
to load the UI-View32 on the PC.
Once I recycle the power on the PC, UI-View comes on sooner,
proportionally to the power off time.
It makes no difference if the FTM-350 is on or off.
No apps were started by me.
Do I need to update or disable something?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
How much memory does the computer have?

Do other programs on the computer take a long time to launch?

What folder is UI-View installed in?

KB6PAI

I got 1 (one) GB of RAM.
The hard disk uses 44 GB out of 300 GB.
Other programs launch in less than one minute.
C:\Program Files\Peak Systems\UI-VIEW32
No errors were detected when I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics.
Disk fragmented 1%.
Ran Disk Cleanup with minor size improvement.
Windows was automatically updated when I powered off after 1 hour.
UI-View launched normally this morning.
I have no idea what operation fixed the problem,
but I do thank you for taking an interest in my query.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I sometime have trouble starting UI-View32 on one computer that im running windows 7 and have to some time restart the computer,and then i also run UI-View32 on another computer running windows XP and never have any trouble starting UI-View32,on this computer im using it for a APRS gateway........

AK9R

Super Moderator
C:\Program Files\Peak Systems\UI-VIEW32
Therein lies your problem.

UI-View was written in a time when it was common for Windows programs to write data to the folder where the executable lived. Starting with Windows 7, the OS has taken a dim view of this activity and believes that the program doing the writing has malicious intent. Sometimes, the OS simply refuses to let the program run.

My suggestion is to keep older programs from the Windows XP era out of the OS's control.

Create a folder on your C drive called "C:\Program Files XP". The name can be anything you choose, but I use that one so I don't have to look all over the C drive for my programs. Install UI-View, and Precision Mapping, if you use it, in this new folder. Windows 7 and Windows 10 won't care.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Therein lies your problem.

UI-View was written in a time when it was common for Windows programs to write data to the folder where the executable lived. Starting with Windows 7, the OS has taken a dim view of this activity and believes that the program doing the writing has malicious intent. Sometimes, the OS simply refuses to let the program run.

My suggestion is to keep older programs from the Windows XP era out of the OS's control.

Create a folder on your C drive called "C:\Program Files XP". The name can be anything you choose, but I use that one so I don't have to look all over the C drive for my programs. Install UI-View, and Precision Mapping, if you use it, in this new folder. Windows 7 and Windows 10 won't care.
Thanks Robert, I will try that on the computer that im running Windows 7.....

kc4jgc

FWIW, I had never placed anything into the program files folder, I'd always created a new folder for anything new. Mainly as W9BU said so I could easily find it as necessary. I installed new programs like this since Windows ME. I'd read since Win 7 that simply installing in the program files folder doesn't work any more.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I'd read since Win 7 that simply installing in the program files folder doesn't work any more.
I don't think I have UI-View installed on a Win 7 computer, but I do have other amateur radio programs that write to their home folder on Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers. In all cases, I've created a separate folder under the root of Drive C for these programs. They work fine.

The following web site has lots of good info about running UI-View on Win 7-8-10:
http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

Status
Not open for further replies.