Siren App neglect

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I hate to keep harping on this, but Christ, it seems like Uniden came up with the Android app and basically said to hell with updating the iPhone app so it will work properly with favorite lists, and I thought it was supposed to basically be a full remote control for the 536? Why is there nothing further? The radio was introduced three years ago, and while it had its problems, it is a fine radio. The Siren app would make it even better, especially for those of us who would like to put the 536 in their vehicle and use Siren as a remote. Can someone please explain why Siren has been neglected?

troymail

Silent Key
My guess is it's like any other software Uniden has provided over the years with their products -- PC software and mobile apps is not their main line of work. They allow (and apparently favor) having third parties develop the "real" solutions for the things which they only provide demos solutions.

And - there really isn't anything in it for them to drive more effort on it (at least not on the surface).

Hopefully, we've all learned "buyer beware" (I know I have - at least with Uniden) - don't buy something unless/until all of the things promised are actually real vs. vaporware - no matter how flashy the sales pitch is.

wbswetnam

Hopefully, we've all learned "buyer beware" (I know I have - at least with Uniden) - don't buy something unless/until all of the things promised are actually real vs. vaporware - no matter how flashy the sales pitch is.

Amen to THAT. Uniden has really disappointed me. The next product that they put out which interests me, I will be veeeeery hesitant to purchase it. I will wait for the reviews and for ALL features to be released before taking the credit card out of my wallet.

As far as the Siren app is concerned, I think that it's pretty clear that it is an abandoned project.

wise871

Database Admin
Too bad they won't come out and say it directly. Users would respect a company more if they were just upfront. I'll never buy Uniden again and I have 10 of there scanners now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Thing is I have a TRX 2 as well, which would be great in the car considering the remote head and NXDN, but the 536 kills that scanner because of the GPS feature, since i travel frequently. Inputting zip code and services is a little trick when driving.

troymail

Silent Key
People tend to buy one thing over another because product A has a feature that product B does not... that's pretty normal. However, that's not the point of this thread.

The point here is Uniden really hyped a feature and then took a really long time to provide even a weak, barely functioning solution that never met the hype. And no one should expect much if anything more at this point - it's been 3+ years.

Live and learn...

wbswetnam

I removed my 536's wi-fi dongle and tossed it into the junk box many months ago. Siren is nothing but frustration.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I still use my WIFI dongle to connect PROSCAN software with my BCD536. The dongle works fair for this.

I do the same and it works 99.9% - survives reboots of the PC and on/off of the 536. Runs 24/7 and records all in Proscan

Only gripes is it allows only one connection.

wise871

Database Admin
Just remember this next time Uniden announces a new scanner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wise871

Database Admin
Only three years :lol: Like everyone says, give Uniden time and they will come through. I wonder if the same folks still think that way 3 Years, 7 Months, 8 Days later. Nov 16, 2013 is still marked on my calendar for the New Launch. I watch the video from time to time to remind me why I won't buy Uniden again.

Last edited:

k3fs

Add to that the failure to release the advanced analysis features of the Home Patrol 1 Extreme Upgrade ("a one hundred dollar value, right there").

A total lack of acknowledgement of a noise issue on the 436 that affects reception. Won't acknowledge it, but they fixed the issue, and have not let customers know they have a fix for the issue.

Uniden had also promised they would release software for the X96XT line when it was released. That never happened. Was not a big deal then, because someone else released free software for those radios. Uniden's response was the same we are getting today.......silence.

When there is a problem, admit it as soon as possible.
Customers are not stupid. IGNORING or denying a legitimate problem is not the way to handle it.

DMSROX2

Like everyone here it seems, I am frustrated with the lack of improvements in SIREN. I have a couple of 536's and am still using it at times with my android phone and tablet. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I use SIREN in my vehicle at times with a android tablet that has cell service. How can the tablet be connected to the 536 wifi for SIREN, but use the cell service for other internet related traffic?

I have seen a post about how to do this on a iPhone, but nothing for an Android. Any ideas guys?

THANKS

Donnie KE4GYN

wise871

Database Admin
Like everyone here it seems, I am frustrated with the lack of improvements in SIREN. I have a couple of 536's and am still using it at times with my android phone and tablet. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I use SIREN in my vehicle at times with a android tablet that has cell service. How can the tablet be connected to the 536 wifi for SIREN, but use the cell service for other internet related traffic?

I have seen a post about how to do this on a iPhone, but nothing for an Android. Any ideas guys?

THANKS

Donnie KE4GYN

Donnie
I figured this out back in 2015 on my own. Something Uniden doesn't tell you when you use the app in your vehicle and still want to use the phone. This works for the iPhone so it should work with your phone. My options are different on my phone like the blue arrow but Androids should have similar options.

By nature the when connected to 536 AP WiFi connection, the iPhone is trying to funnels all requests through the scanners Wifi connection. Some apps are programmed to switch to cellular if the connection times out but if it's not designed too then your connection times out.

The work around is as followed.

1. Connect your iPhone to the Scanners AP connection like you normally would. Verify your connected.
2. Tap the blue arrow next to the name of the BCD536HP _XXXX WiFi network to view more options.
3. Select "Static" as the type of IP address, and then enter the following IP address and Subnet Mask :
IP Address : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
4. Make sure you leave Router, DNS, and Search Domains blank!

This tells the iPhone that it should use its cellular network to route internet traffic rather than trying to do it via the scanners WiFi.

Status
Not open for further replies.