Open mic hilarity in Morris County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

I've been listening to the FD simulcast on 151.055 for the last hour. There's been an open mic on and off over that time. Sounds like Roxbury or nearby. Roxbury first aid kept getting mentioned. Anyway, it was certainly an overly x-rated conversation that was going on among several people about other people. Not professional in the least. If it's been archived check the recording between 1pm and 1:50pm. Funny, but somewhat out of line.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One of the reasons why most two way radios will have some sort of "time out timer" on the transmit side.
Many radio guys don't program it to function, which is silly. Stuck mics can tie up a system for everyone. While dispatchers can still talk over them if they are on a suitable link to the repeater, it doesn't address the fact that as long as the radio is transmitting, they won't hear it.

These sorts of things have a habit of ending careers.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Open MICs could be a career ender. I've programmed one of my maijn talk Channels with a do not transmit feature. I'm sure on these system it's more uncommon but I like it. Fear the open Mic, it is not your friend. While sittijng place portable on table!!

Thanks,
C.J
Sent from the Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

slingshot202

Feed Provider
dispatch yelling "open mic" "check for open mic" makes me laugh
When dispatch does that I yell at my own radio in the house "they can't hear you!!"

How can they not realize the open Mic can't hear them? Drives me nuts.

Thanks,
C.J
Sent from the Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
In Chicago nearly every officer has a partner. One of them will hear dispatch hollering if the other one's mic button is stuck.

What tickles me is that the dispatcher will call "Open key! Open key on the zone." Well, technically it is a "closed key", but why not call it "Stuck mic!"... ;)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Exactly. Since our officers have a mobile and a portable, they can often hear when it happens, if they are in the car.

As for portables/out of the car, well, it's always good to have a buddy.

wtp

about once a month here

a county car will have a stuck mic.
dispatch will even call the car number out.
dispatch has a way to override the car input to the tower.
usually that is off as the car can interrupt dispatch.
the response from the car is usually the car mic is stuck and they have to disconnect the battery.
apparently the cars are hard wired with no in-line fuse, and take off a battery post.

so calling out "open mic" can work in some cases.

SCPD

QRT
Why I like pre mdc over post.everyone has a cell these days and when you do attempt to wait for a dekey Id someone always has to continually rant check mic or you get dispatch not dekeying going on and on to check mics. Then you miss the id of the culprit if it's post. Then it continues followed by others wanting to key up on purpose walking on another to make noise.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Just as hilarious is when an officer keys up the mic thinking they have switched on the PA. I just heard some of this when an NJSP trooper was loosing it on a motorist that had stopped on the Walt Whitman Bridge. He's screaming at the motorist not to stop on the bridge about four times. It all went out over the air. Then another trooper keys up and says "cool under pressure". Hilarious !

Moose

As a "civilian" listener I love when I hear an open mic conversation. I too laugh at the dispatchers calling out open mic. And the content is sometimes juicy, or plain boring. As an ex-Navy guy I don't flinch at vulgarity either. What I heard, though, would make Donald Trump's infamous "grab her..." quote wither on the vine. Made him look like a saint in comparison.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
I have channel 1 on my portable as dispatch receive only, so I can bump into whatever and not worry. Have to go to channel 2 to transmit. also have my concentric ring switch set to switch between TX enable and disable and that let's me switch it on any channel. A little redundant but I don't mind. Last thing I want is an open mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC2OY

My best open mic story dates back to when I did security at the Meadowlands. These two traffic guards had a ongoing fling so one night while we were working a Nets Basketball game they accidentily keyed up in the love van. It was so bad that the arena dispatcher told all of us to turn our radios until they....found the problem.

res5cue

Moose I sent You A PM. Can you email me the audio? Would love to hear it. From Navy man to another. Thanks ship mate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RBFD415

Face it, when it comes to radio communications the vast majority of folks are operating with minimal information. Back in the day I would routinely leave my pager on a low volume just to pick up in case I keyed up either my HT or mobile. Then you would get the no-nothings commenting "why do you have your pager on?" Of course the key thing was low volume, but just enough to avoid feedback. Now of course pagers are going the way of newspapers etc. I doubt most people would leave a second radio on to catch key ups!?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.