Sentinel for BCD436HP - Alternatives??

Status
Not open for further replies.

orgullodemexico

Premium Subscriber
I am running Windows 10 on my laptop. Like so many other users Sentinel bcdx36HP won't load/run, and it has before.

I tried some suggestions mentioned in other threads. I did download the Home Patrol Sentinel but it won't recognize my radio.

So I am looking for suggestioins on alternate software to program my BCD436HP. My skills are novice.

Thanks for reading.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm running Sentinel on Windows 10 with zero issues. You may need to run Sentinel as an administrator if your user account has restricted permissions. You need Sentinel to download database updates and edit scanner settings. Other programs will only allow editing of favorite lists.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I have been running Sentinel on Windows 10 since Microsoft released it with Zero issues also. I must be something else hindering your performance with Sentinel. IMO, There is nothing better than Sentinel for the X36 series scanners.

JohnOldridge

Sentinel on Windows 10

I used to have that same issue but once I ran the software as an Administrator, it worked just fine. I believe you have to right-click on the zip file and open it as an Admin.....Hope these posts help.....

N9JIG

Sheriff
x36 Sentinel runs fine in Windows 10, I have had no problem with any of my Windows 10 machines, including Macs with Bootcamp and Parallels as well as a couple straight Windows machines.

If running as an administrator doesn't help then perhaps uninstall and reinstall the program. Remember too that the application needs access to the Internet to get the database and firmware updates.

Also make sure that Windows sees the SD--Card and assigns it a drive letter, it might require an acknowledgement on your part.

marksmith

Your issue is not software.

There are other applications beyond Sentinel but you will have the same problem, which is probably drivers. Win10 hates radio drivers.

You need Sentinel one way or the other for firmware updates and to update the database, even if you use another application. Other applications won't do that.

Bottom line, you need to get win10 to recognize your drivers for the radio. Each time Win10 does a significant update, it blows out all the non windows drivers and you have to reinstall them.

The other option is get yourself a cheap win7 computer. Works great wi t h Sentinel and never screws with you on the drivers.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

phask

Premium Subscriber
There is some good info. in this thread. There have been a few with this issue. If Sentinel fails to run - try this.

Quick check as well. Create another account and install Sentinel in it - if it runs for that user a good chance that's it.

I did that for a few weeks until others figured out the issue.

phask

Premium Subscriber
There are quite a few things Proscan will not do for a 536. I use it for others and for monitoring a 536 - but not many advantages (for me) as to programming.

Nothing but Sentinel will do firmware updates of update the full DB.

PROSCAN is the best!

PROSCAN software is the best for my money!

gonefishn1

Everyone and anyone can do a firmware update without using Sentinel. Just download the update to your hard disk drive and then move it to the SD card. So easy!

PROSCAN is amazing and has wireless control of the scanner!

PROSCAN is the best!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
There are quite a few things Proscan will not do for a 536. I use it for others and for monitoring a 536 - but not many advantages (for me) as to programming.

Nothing but Sentinel will do firmware updates of update the full DB.

Like what? I'm always working on making my software the best. I'm really receptive to suggestions. All you need to do is email me any suggestions.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Like what? I'm always working on making my software the best. I'm really receptive to suggestions. All you need to do is email me any suggestions.

No real gripes, but since I've been using Sentinel since Day1 I just don't see any advantages for Proscan for favorites. I do use it for a 996t,996p2,327 and evan an old 870 as well as wireless monitoring of the 536.

Works well for printing out QK as well.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
No real gripes, but since I've been using Sentinel since Day1 I just don't see any advantages for Proscan for favorites. I do use it for a 996t,996p2,327 and evan an old 870 as well as wireless monitoring of the 536.

Works well for printing out QK as well.

No problem. I don't know if Sentinel has some of the utilities that ProScan has such as Find Duplicates, Find & Replace, Import from RRDB directly, Import Win Clipboard, Sort options, Google Map showing all the systems/departments/sites on a web page, Export systems or just the FQK's & SQK's to a html web page, Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop nodes to other systems and other ProScan instances, etc.

marksmith

Everyone and anyone can do a firmware update without using Sentinel. Just download the update to your hard disk drive and then move it to the SD card. So easy!

PROSCAN is amazing and has wireless control of the scanner!

PROSCAN is the best!
How do you update the database without Sentinel?

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ProScan has some nice tools for traffic logging, and editing and updating Favorite Lists not found in Sentinel, and it also has computer control and recording options not found in Sentinel.

But it doesn't allow you edit or download updates to the scanner main database, and you have to have a RR subscription to download updates to favorite lists.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan doesn't upload to the BCD436HP! This is a deal breaker for me. If I'm wrong about the uploading to the 436, please let me know. I spent $50 to learn the hard way.

No software uploads(or download) to the BCDx36HP. However ProScan can write and read to the scanner. It's called the Favorites Editor in ProScan for consistency in Uniden's terminology. The Favorites editor has the same functions and utilities as the other supported scanners. You will still need Sentinel for firmware updating thou.

To read or write the scanner, put the scanner in Mass Storage mode then click on Scanner Read. The scanner storage should show.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ProScan doesn't upload to the BCD436HP! This is a deal breaker for me. If I'm wrong about the uploading to the 436, please let me know.

You are. While Proscan cannot edit the Uniden/RadioReference Main Database, you can read, write, and edit Favorite Lists in the 436 and other Uniden scanners. So you can do any kind of custom programming in ProScan in a Favorite List, and save that programming to the scanner.

sparker1962

Premium Subscriber
You are. While Proscan cannot edit the Uniden/RadioReference Main Database, you can read, write, and edit Favorite Lists in the 436 and other Uniden scanners. So you can do any kind of custom programming in ProScan in a Favorite List, and save that programming to the scanner.

I got it to work!
Yes, I would agree that ProScan is the better scanner software out there.Their support is top of the line too. I received help within hours. Can't beat that!
Thanks again ProScan

Status
Not open for further replies.