Dismal battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring 1 P25 system and I only get an hour and a half out of a pair of batteries. Absolutely disgusted. I now just keep the scanner plugged in at work..

And no, I don't charge the batteries in the scanner...I've tried 3 different manufacturers batteries all with the same results...

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring 1 P25 system and I only get an hour and a half out of a pair of batteries. Absolutely disgusted. I now just keep the scanner plugged in at work..

And no, I don't charge the batteries in the scanner...I've tried 3 different manufacturers batteries all with the same results...

What kind of battery charger are you using ? I have the Powerex MH-c9000 charger and easily get 4-5 hours out of a set of Duracell,Powerex and eneloop batteries.

scannersnstuff

on a set of duracell 2500 mah rechargeables, i get an easy 8 hour's, give or take. this is with a mix of frequencies,including p25 <which is supposed to be a real battery sucker>. I also run the backlight on constant on. I keep a spare set charged.

GM

Premium Subscriber
I get a solid 6 hours of charge on eneloop 2500 mAh batteries with multiple P25 and DMR systems. I have to say the 325P2 scanner is one of the best out there. I always keep a charged spare set with me when out and about. Better to carry two spare batteries than 3 or 4 like I have to with other scanners.

scannersnstuff

GM. Could not have said it better. Hot little receiver. This is probably going to go down as one of my all time favorite's.

baayers

I have to agree with the other posters as well. With the light off monitoring the Pinellas county P25 system which normally means that I am scanning a total of 3 sites and also the Clearwater police system my 325 gets between 7&#8211;8 hours and my 436 gets between 11&#8211;12 hours

If you are having the same results with different batteries then I would take a serious look at your charger. If your charger is not a smart charger then one of your batteries may not be getting a full enough charge causing them to die prematurely. A lot of the off-the-shelf chargers that you buy charge them in pairs instead of analyzing each specific battery.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I get 4-6 with original 2 year old (or so) batteries and ONLY charge in the radio, mainly P25.

With that said - there are way too many variables to compare 1 user to another. Volume, various settings, activity, individual batteries, etc.

marksmith

I have a question, is it true that monitoring digital uses more power as the radio has to work harder to decode the different systems?
I doubt this. Most of the battery is consumed based on where you have the volume control, and how active the radio is with what you are monitoring.

I use a set of earbuds to bike ride and the 325p2 radio goes a long time and is less conspicuous. People think I am listening to music.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
tumegpc has the right idea. Maybe it's the charger.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have a question, is it true that monitoring digital uses more power as the radio has to work harder to decode the different systems?

To a small extent, yes, as the CPU has to do more work to decode the digital data. But not to the extent that battery life is only an hour or two.

I would get one of these to check to see if the scanner is consuming excess power:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9Y6ZFW/

That will identify whether the scanner or the batteries are at fault.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It doesn't. You run the scanner off USB power, with the meter I linked inline. That will tell you if the problem is the scanner drawing too much power, or bad batteries/charger. If the scanner is only drawing 200mA, then it's obviously a battery problem. But if it's drawing 2000mA, then it would be a scanner issue.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
To a small extent, yes, as the CPU has to do more work to decode the digital data. But not to the extent that battery life is only an hour or two.

I would get one of these to check to see if the scanner is consuming excess power:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9Y6ZFW/

That will identify whether the scanner or the batteries are at fault.
Interesting device.

Thanks for the link; I'll pick one up.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're welcome. It's helpful for diagnosing a variety of USB issues.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Never thought to question the brand new charger.. Thanks guys.. I'll dig around and see if I can find another one. I need one that does AC and DC input as I mainly use my scanner at work in the truck. I've been keeping the scanner plugged in, but at times have to carry it along with me..

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I get about 4 and a half hours on my 325P2 on Energizer 2500 rechargables and I have 8 IL-Starcom digital sites and 5 analog systems pgm'ed in the little jewel...I also have volume on (8) with the volume menu increase on (2) on most low volume people....

JamesO

Status
Not open for further replies.