AJ Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruluse

Premium Subscriber
I used to hear Apache Junction fire dispatch from Mesa on 154.3400. I haven't heard it in a couple of weeks. However, I also listen to AJ PD on TOPAZ Regional, Mesa simulcast. Today I started hearing on-scene communication for AJ FD on TOPAZ, talk group 3082 and possibly some dispatch on that same talk group. Anyone have information on changes made to AZ FD? I heard the following units:

Engine 261
Engine 262
Engine 263
Ladder 264
Engine 265

I didn't even know AJ had that many units.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

The old VHF channels are gone.

The Apache Junction Fire District is dispatched by the Mesa Fire Department Regional Dispatch Center on the TOPAZ RWC trunked system, along with Mesa, Gilbert, Queen Creek and Rio Verde. (The Ft. McDowell Indian Community FD also uses the TOPAZ RWC, but they have their own TG's seperate from Mesa FD's RDC.)

The district covers not only the town of AJ, but also the surrounding areas, such as Goldfield.

Mesa is supposed to an testing a new set of VHF frequencies, I have to assume in order to move all of the hazard zone (fire and haz-mat) calls to VHF while keeping the EMS and other calls on the TOPAZ RWC system, just like the Phoenix FD RDC does with their VHF channels and the RWC.

I don't know what frequency will be what channel, except that 154.280 will most likely be ch. 4 like every other department and district in the Phoenix metro area has. Here are the frequencies in ascending order:

Program those in and let us know what you hear.

John
Peoria

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Today I started hearing on-scene communication for AJ FD on TOPAZ, talk group 3082 and possibly some dispatch on that same talk group. Anyone have information on changes made to AZ FD? I heard the following units:

Engine 261
Engine 262
Engine 263
Ladder 264
Engine 265

I didn't even know AJ had that many units.

I have heard talkgroup 3082 on the TRWC referred to as Apache Junction Fire "Training 6".

Did it sound like training? With that many units involved, that would be my guess. If you can confirm, I will get this added to the DB.

Scruluse

Premium Subscriber
I have heard talkgroup 3082 on the TRWC referred to as Apache Junction Fire "Training 6".

Did it sound like training? With that many units involved, that would be my guess. If you can confirm, I will get this added to the DB.

It's very possible. If not it was the biggest event in AJ in a long time. I was thinking maybe it was training because of that and because the talkgroup was close to Gilbert fire training talkgroups.

Scruluse

Premium Subscriber

The Apache Junction Fire District is dispatched by the Mesa Fire Department Regional Dispatch Center on the TOPAZ RWC trunked system, along with Mesa, Gilbert, Queen Creek and Rio Verde. (The Ft. McDowell Indian Community FD also uses the TOPAZ RWC, but they have their own TG's seperate from Mesa FD's RDC.)

The district covers not only the town of AJ, but also the surrounding areas, such as Goldfield.

Mesa is supposed to an testing a new set of VHF frequencies, I have to assume in order to move all of the hazard zone (fire and haz-mat) calls to VHF while keeping the EMS and other calls on the TOPAZ RWC system, just like the Phoenix FD RDC does with their VHF channels and the RWC.

I don't know what frequency will be what channel, except that 154.280 will most likely be ch. 4 like every other department and district in the Phoenix metro area has. Here are the frequencies in ascending order:

John
Peoria

Thanks John. Do you know what the tone should be on these or does it matter?

WIS262

John
Peoria

to just expand a little more on this,

The Apache Junction Fire District renamed to the Superstition Fire & Medical District.

This was:
A) following a trend that most valley fire departments are doing incorporate medical into their name as that is the majority of the calls for service are.
B) to incorporate the entire fire dispatch (not just the city of apache junction).

SFMD has 5 stations.

E261, E262, E263, LT263, L264, E265. They have several transport ambulances (medic units), tenders, brush trucks, a rehab truck, TRV, and various other support vehicles.

note: There are talks of the SMFD consolidating into the Arizona Fire & Medical Authority with North County Fire & Medical District & Sun Lakes Fire District.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Thanks John. Do you know what the tone should be on these or does it matter?

I got the frequency info from another thread here. Right now, they're testing, and no one has commented yet as to what the tones are.
Most likely, it'll be DCS, rather than CTCSS.
Just use the tone search function of your scanner to find the tones, and when you do, let everyone else know.
Living in Peoria, I could just get the old dispatch channel. I don't know if the new one will reach over here, so I haven't done much in the way of trying to monitor any of the new channels.

John
Peoria

Scruluse

Premium Subscriber
I briefly heard something on dispatch last night. I live in AJ but I guess the transmitters are just too far away. Kind of odd since it's the AJ fire dispatch.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I briefly heard something on dispatch last night. I live in AJ but I guess the transmitters are just too far away. Kind of odd since it's the AJ fire dispatch.

AJ Fire is dispatched by Mesa on TRWC talkgroup 3064. All fire operations are currently on the TRWC.

Anything you hear on the VHF freqs is just testing or configuration as this system is not in use by any agency yet. When Mesa Fire moved off VHF to the TRWC trunked system in 2012, they left 154.340 in place with dispatcher audio tied to it. 154.340 has not been used for dispatch since 2012, but likely left in place to aide neighboring agencies such as Rural Metro, Pinal Co, etc. There are changes happening as signal strength has changed on 154.340 as they are likely testing transmitters at new sites.

Last edited:

cmaness2001

Premium Subscriber
AJ Fire is dispatched by Mesa on TRWC talkgroup 3064. All fire operations are currently on the TRWC.

There are changes happening as signal strength has changed on 154.340 as they are likely testing transmitters at new sites.

Seems right, I do copy traffic on 154.34 when I go towards West Mesa....

Status
Not open for further replies.