• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman60

HAE6032
UHF, 425-470 MHz 1/4 Wave Moto in love with that stubby whip. 65.00

or HAE6013 380-470 MHz 2 dB Gain Wide band or

HAE6031 380-520 MHz 2 dB Gain Wide band. I have only ever used the whip NMO antennas for my setups. Has anyone used the 6013 or 6031 or have a good antenna that will work by another manufacture.

Thanks
Tim

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Typically the narrower the bandwidth on the antenna the better tuned and better RX you will get.
Do you need to listen to T-Band? If not no need for HAE6031.
If your in strong coverage areas the 1/4 wave would be what i go with. If your trying to pull in weak signals go with the HAE6013.

On my previous vehicle i went with the 1/4 wave on top of my truck and the half wave or HAE6013 on the truck bed or hood lip mount.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Is this for TX/RX or just for RX? I get custom (cut to best VSWR) tuned/cut antennas from RCBI on eBay. They cut VHF/UHF/7/800...typically come out much shorter, and much better VSWR...they even include the antennas performance graph as measured. You specify your TX center and they cut. RX may suffer ever so slightly, but should conceivably get more punch.

rcbi | eBay

Paul

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
HAE6032
UHF, 425-470 MHz 1/4 Wave Moto in love with that stubby whip. 65.00

Gotta love Motorola, charging $65.00 for an antenna you can get for $9.00 anywhere else. But, hey, it's got the Motorola logo on it, so it must be worth it. That logo alone will add 10dB of gain...

or HAE6013 380-470 MHz 2 dB Gain Wide band or

HAE6031 380-520 MHz 2 dB Gain Wide band. I have only ever used the whip NMO antennas for my setups. Has anyone used the 6013 or 6031 or have a good antenna that will work by another manufacture.

Thanks
Tim

Depends on what your use is and what you actual frequency use is.

Motorola doesn't make their own antennas, they sell relabeled antennas from other manufacturers.
It's hard to beat the broad bandwidth of a 1/4 wave. While other antennas may claim "wide band", I'd like to see them on an antenna analyzer compared to a simple 1/4 wave antenna.

If you need more gain, you could try a half wave design. They are ground independent, as in "no ground plane", however if you supply them with an appropriate ground plane, they'll give you 2.1dB of gain compared to a quarter wave.
The half wave normally have less usable bandwidth, in other words, less amount of spectrum under 2.0:1 SWR.

If you need more gain, a 5/8th's wave or a co-linear design will get you more, but it'll come at the cost of bandwidth. Much narrower usable bandwidth when compared to a 1/4 wave.

What you need will depend on what bandwidth you need out of your radio. If it's for receiving only, then don't get too hung up on the bandwidth.
If you are going to be transmitting on a narrow chunk of spectrum (GMRS -or- 70 CM) then any of them will work.

If you really need the full spectrum, as in federal frequency transmitting, as well as stuff up in or near the T-band, then you really need the 1/4 wave.

Also, if you are under a Part 90 license, you -may- need to look at what your license allows. If your licenses shows your mobiles are limited to a certain ERP level, then you need to look at your transmitter power output, minus coaxial losses, multiplied by antenna gain and make sure it stays below what your license allows.
If your license just shows a maximum wattage, then you don't need to be too concerned about ERP, -UNLESS- you need to be concerned about interfering with co-channel users or if you have your antenna mounted in such a location where it's going to expose vehicle occupants to an increased/unsafe level of RF. usually this is only an issue on trunk or fender mounts.

Location will play into this, also. 1/4 waves have a nice round radiation pattern that works well if you have repeaters high above you, like in the mountains or concrete canyons. If you are out on the plains, then a higher gain antenna might work better, since it's radiation pattern focuses more energy at the horizon.

Another way to look at what will work, is to look at what public safety users have installed. They'll use what works best for their installations. If yours is similar, you can take a clue from them.

Personally, where I live, 1/4 wave antennas tend to work best. I've tried all kinds of different setups, but I always come back to a simple, low profile, and cheap quarter wave.

toolman60

Thanks guys. I am going to be in 70cm 99% of my time. I am going to stick with the old faithful 1/4 wave antenna. I have never had one let me down yet. I am in a new location further out from the repeaters as the crow flies than I ever been so if the 1/4 wont do it I look at getting the 6013 or another brand of antenna. I have never even talked to anyone that has ran nothing but the stubby 1/4 unless it was ham ops running the 70cm antennas.
It will be mounted thru hole just to the front of center,centered on my Expedition so no fear of exposing vehicle occupants to an increased/unsafe level of RF

mmckenna,

I could not believe the price on that 6032. I just picked up 2 NMO uhf and an NMO VHF for my sons trucks and they were less than 20.00 each including the coax and mounts and whips.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, Motorola is pretty proud of their stuff. However, that might be list price, and no one should be paying list.

I've been using Larsen antennas for 25+ years without any complaints. I've had a few Maxrad, Comtelco, Antennex, Laird, and they've all been good too.

In fact, I've got a 1/2 wave Laird VHF antenna on my Polaris Ranger UTV that's taken a phenomenal beating on the trails and it's still working great. It's hit some branches so hard there is actually a kink at the very end of the whip. I used in on my pickup a few weeks back for a trip from California to Texas and it worked well, but when I got home I put my 1/4 wave back on. Lower profile, looks better, in my opinion.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Is this for TX/RX or just for RX? I get custom (cut to best VSWR) tuned/cut antennas from RCBI on eBay. They cut VHF/UHF/7/800...typically come out much shorter, and much better VSWR...they even include the antennas performance graph as measured. You specify your TX center and they cut. RX may suffer ever so slightly, but should conceivably get more punch.

rcbi | eBay

Paul

he is asking about mobile antennas rcbi makes custom handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.