BC75xlt or BC125AT

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleflag

Both scanners are about the same price on Amazon right now. I know the differences in features, i.e. 500 vs 300 channels, alpha tags, etc. Regarding issues like speaker quality, reception, battery life... is one radio better than the other? I'd prefer to have alpha tagging but I'd give that up in exchange for a better quality receiver.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Both scanners are about the same price on Amazon right now. I know the differences in features, i.e. 500 vs 300 channels, alpha tags, etc. Regarding issues like speaker quality, reception, battery life... is one radio better than the other? I'd prefer to have alpha tagging but I'd give that up in exchange for a better quality receiver.
Just remember that as noted in your other thread, where some of the Public Safety agencies in your area will be transitioning to P25 Phase II, that neither the 75XLT nor 125AT are digital and trunking scanners. While they will allow you to listen to analog transmissions, including aircraft and rail (if the local lines have not converted to NXDN yet), they will not help on trunked or digital systems. I've noticed on Amazon that if you look up certain Uniden digital scanners, the web page generates a "comparison" section, inserting the 75XLT or 125AT into a side by side listing with digital models. That falsely implies that the capabilities are similar. They are not.

battleflag

Steve... I've abandoned the idea of buying a digital P25 Phase 2 capable scanner for the time being. I just can't justify the cost given how poor the monitoring reports are in the Portland metro area with all digital scanners. I'm making a conscious decision to focus back on analog monitoring of rail, aircraft, some public safety VHF simulcasts, etc. I do have a RS Pro 93 so I can follow Portland's system still because they simulcast on their analog 800 system. I'm considering the new Bearcat has an upgrade to my current line up of handheld scanners.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve... I've abandoned the idea of buying a digital P25 Phase 2 capable scanner for the time being. I just can't justify the cost given how poor the monitoring reports are in the Portland metro area with all digital scanners. I'm making a conscious decision to focus back on analog monitoring of rail, aircraft, some public safety VHF simulcasts, etc. I do have a RS Pro 93 so I can follow Portland's system still because they simulcast on their analog 800 system. I'm considering the new Bearcat has an upgrade to my current line up of handheld scanners.
No problem. I just wanted to be sure there was no misunderstanding of how the 75 or 125 would perform, given the confusing way that Amazon tries to list them alongside digital scanners.

The 125AT should handle your aircraft and other analog frequencies just fine.

wbswetnam

The BC125AT is on sale right now on Amazon for $80.26, which is an excellent price for all you get.
However, the BC125AT does NOT cover 800 MHz!

battleflag

If you have to have 800 MHz, then you will be disappointed when you discover that the BC125AT does not cover it. Cancel your order if 800 MHz is a must.
I'm intentionally purchasing the BC125AT knowing it is only a vhf/uhf analog scanner. My 800 needs are met for now with a RS Pro 93.

Status
Not open for further replies.