Timetable for new local systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Hi guys,

I'm starting to save my pennies for a new scanner. What I have now works fine for the current systems and freqs here in L.A., Orange and Ventura Counties, but I'd like to have some ballpark guesses about when some of the new systems will be coming off of testing and become operational. Specifically, LA-RICS, New OCFA P25 system, and the LA City P25 system. Will any of these be P25 Phase 2? DMR?

I'm just trying to get some idea of when I'll need to upgrade.

Thanks again.

Eng74

Looks like OCFA will join the OC Law enforcement and go silent on the new system. You don't say if you are looking for a hand held or a base but the Uniden 436 and 536 seem to work better on the trunking systems than the TRX-1. I will say the TRX seems to work better on some DMR systems.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Looks like OCFA will join the OC Law enforcement and go silent on the new system. You don't say if you are looking for a hand held or a base but the Uniden 436 and 536 seem to work better on the trunking systems than the TRX-1. I will say the TRX seems to work better on some DMR systems.

Probably another HT.

Hmm, OCFA will go encrypted too? :( I'm assuming LASD will do that as well and I would not be surprised if LAPD did too. Hopefully, LACoFD and LAFD, along with Ventura Co FD will stay in the clear.

Thanks.

PaulNDaOC

LA-RICS timetable for the radio system being fully operational is not until 2020 if all goes according to plan.

The plan calls for 20 sites to be completed each year 2017,18,19, then enter a period of optimization in early 2020.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Thanks, guys. Good info.

I'm glad to hear that LA-RICS isn't going live until 2020.

Sorry to hear about OCFA planning to go encrypted. Wave of the future, I guess :(

Any idea when LASD will go that way?

Any plans for LAPD or LAFD to do the same? What's the status of the LA City P25 system?

Thanks again.

GrandpaFrank

From what I've read, LAPD has been trying to get new radios since 2006. Their 43M request has been denied. Motorola wasn't willing to budge too much on the price.

Engine104

Member since 2005
From what I've read, LAPD has been trying to get new radios since 2006. Their 43M request has been denied. Motorola wasn't willing to budge too much on the price.

Interesting. Thanks. I guess that's good news for us, though I think the existing radios are capable of encryption, if they decide to follow OCSD at some point.

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys,

I'm starting to save my pennies for a new scanner. What I have now works fine for the current systems and freqs here in L.A., Orange and Ventura Counties, but I'd like to have some ballpark guesses about when some of the new systems will be coming off of testing and become operational. Specifically, LA-RICS, New OCFA P25 system, and the LA City P25 system. Will any of these be P25 Phase 2? DMR?

I'm just trying to get some idea of when I'll need to upgrade.

Thanks again.

I don't think you need to rush out to buy a P25 TDM capable scanner. These roll-outs take time. I can not speak for all the counties, but in Orange County in may take a couple of years based on our history. The first big communications change in the OC occurred in the summer of 1973 when all the law enforcement agencies switched from low-band to UHF. The plan was conceived about six years earlier. The current OCCCS 800MHz System took even longer because it involved every agency and city within the county.

Of course money and budgets are a major consideration of any large scale project. This is especially true when you are attempting to coordinate 26 cities each with its own budget limitations. The current P25 Phase II project really provides no benefit to the end users. From the standpoint of the police officer or firefighter there will be no change. The talk groups which have been refined over the course of the past 17-years will remain unchanged. The only change will be the frequencies and modulation scheme. There may be some problems noticed by the current analog users who will be using digital radios in poor reception areas due to the digital “cliff-effect”, but that should be negligible.

If you do decide to buy a P25 Phase II scanner, wait for a sale. I bought one at a nice discount and so far the only Phase II traffic I've heard was a couple of days of system testing in April.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I saw on EBAY the other day for the Uniden BCD996P2 TDMA II for 335.00 bucks. Cheap. If you can get it for that kind of price why not. You will have everything and its pretty much the best scanner on the market and its bullet proof.

The only thing is does not have is NXDN but I think you can buy the DMR upgrade for the radio. I love all three of mine. Also, the BCT15X is a great scanner too and you can get new ones for cheap and its a solid radio too.

CommLt

Feed Provider
More than likely all fire departments in Orange County will be the same. From what I hear there is one fire chief pushing hard for encryption. If he gets his way who knows.There are grumblings at the board of supervisors level already. Its a wait and see.

allend

Premium Subscriber
All I can say is that The Orange County 3rd District is well aware of grumblings going on right now. There is already people starting to make a stink over it.

XLC_Comm442

VCFD along with a majority of other departments in Ventura County will be switching to their new 700 system in 2020. Law will most likely be encrypted, fire should remain in the clear.

Engine104

Member since 2005
VCFD along with a majority of other departments in Ventura County will be switching to their new 700 system in 2020. Law will most likely be encrypted, fire should remain in the clear.

Thanks for the Ventura County info. It sounds like I have a few years yet before they switch.

spectr17

San Bernardino County system 10 just went silent, that's San Bernardino City PDs system. Word is the rest of the county sheriff is going silent soon. Not sure on Redlands PD or FD yet. Anyone know if they are going encrypted?

spectr17

From a PD friend: Redlands, Colton, Fontana, Rialto, and CSUSB Police are all flipping the encryption switch end of November. Near thanksgiving.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Thanks, Spectr17, for the updates. Much appreciated.

I'm hoping others in the know from adjacent areas (L.A, Orange, Ventura Co, etc) will report in as they get info.

Re: Encryption. It is what it is, I guess :(

Status
Not open for further replies.