Any Indiana Unication owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afdscan

I have a Unication G4 coming soon, so I started building a program today. I have a question, does anyone know if I can program IDPS systems and the Safe-T system on the same profile? I would like to be able to monitor both systems at the same time if it is possible.

GTO_04

I have a Unication G4 coming soon, so I started building a program today. I have a question, does anyone know if I can program IDPS systems and the Safe-T system on the same profile? I would like to be able to monitor both systems at the same time if it is possible.

No you cannot monitor both systems at the same time. Use an older scanner for SAFE-T if your towers are not simulcast. Use the G4 for IDPS simulcast. I program one system per knob position.

I have a G5 and it's awesome! It makes my Unidens and GRE's sound like garbage when listening to Hamilton County's simulcast system. And I am only 6 miles from the main Hamco. tower. Too much garbling too much of the time. It was tolerable at first but not so much after using the G5 it is that good!

If you are monitoring a simulcast system and are much closer to one tower than the others you might get by with a Uniden. Use the G4 for the system that is more difficult to monitor.

I am lucky when I monitor IDPS system 1 I am much closer to one tower than all the others so it sounds OK most of the time on my 396XT. SAFE-T sounds fine because the towers I monitor are NOT simulcast.

You will love the G4!

GTO_04

afdscan

I'm attempting to program IDPS system 4 into my G4, do I need to enter all the primary and alternate frequencies from systems 1, 2 & 3? I just entered system 4 and my screen keeps showing "out of range".

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Indiana Unication?

Out of range *knowing that you're in the tower coverage* usually means you need to check the WACN, System ID number and SITE number as well as the Control channels and alternates for those SITES you want. I had this same thing happen when I knew it should work with the G5. Rechecking and reading the instructions on the side got me going here in IL. YOU might need it later tonight by the looks of the radar down in Central Indiana/IL

Last edited by a moderator:

GTO_04

I'm attempting to program IDPS system 4 into my G4, do I need to enter all the primary and alternate frequencies from systems 1, 2 & 3? I just entered system 4 and my screen keeps showing "out of range".

Afdscan, I just sent you a PM re: SAFE-T programming and I got a notification that said you are not taking PMs. Let me know when that is clear and I will re-send.

GTO_04

GTO_04

I should be able to receive PM's.

Looks like you solved your reception problems. Let me know if you have any more questions. The G4 will work awesome on both systems, just not at the same time. I would use the G4 for IDPS System 4 and one of your other scanners for SAFE-T. It looks like your SAFE-T towers are not simulcast. The SAFE-T P25 system sounds fine on my 396XT because I am not monitoring simulcast towers with them.

GTO_04

MBECKNELL

Premium Subscriber
help me

hi guys I'm in ohio in butler county trying to add safe t sites close by me into my g4 could some one send me a pm with some help

thanks

pike63

Some times the info on RR is not correct so I have used wildcards to get the G5 to monitor a local trunked site. Kept putting in the info from this sites database and kept getting the out of range. Scanner don't need some of the info so many users don't notice it is wrong

I have a G5 and it's awesome! It makes my Unidens and GRE's sound like garbage when listening to Hamilton County's simulcast system. And I am only 6 miles from the main Hamco. tower. Too much garbling too much of the time.
GTO_04

Did you try turning on attenuation in your Uniden? Should have helped your capture ratio.

minh6710

I just recently discovered the offerings by Unication. For the Indiana residents, my question is: Can I set up a "zone" and then have knob positions 1 - 8 as MET-NW1, MET-NW2, MET-NO1, MET-NO2 and so on for IDPS and just turn the knobs to stay on just the one channel? I've not much need to scan. Could I also set up "zone 2" and 3 for say, Hendricks County and Hamilton County and do something similar with the knob positions? i.e. 1 - 8 as primary dispatch, car to car, ops, fire dispatch, etc? Also, how hard is it to program? I am somewhat tech savvy but as with the 436 there was a learning curve.

GTO_04

I just recently discovered the offerings by Unication. For the Indiana residents, my question is: Can I set up a "zone" and then have knob positions 1 - 8 as MET-NW1, MET-NW2, MET-NO1, MET-NO2 and so on for IDPS and just turn the knobs to stay on just the one channel? I've not much need to scan. Could I also set up "zone 2" and 3 for say, Hendricks County and Hamilton County and do something similar with the knob positions? i.e. 1 - 8 as primary dispatch, car to car, ops, fire dispatch, etc? Also, how hard is it to program? I am somewhat tech savvy but as with the 436 there was a learning curve.

It is not hard to program, just different compared to conventional scanner software. I have not tried it, but you should be able to have different TGs on the system assigned to different knob positions. The main limitation is that you can only monitor one system at a time, so you can't assign multiple systems to a single knob position.

I don't use the G5 for IDPS because when I am at work, I am lucky to be very close to only one tower, so I don't have a problem with simulcast distortion. Plus, I need to monitor multiple systems on my commute so that rules out the G5 for that purpose. My main application for the G5 is listening to the IDPS system 3 which is Hamilton Co. I am equidistant between two towers at home and sometimes the simulcast distortion is so bad I cannot monitor it at all with my Uniden and GRE scanners. Using the attenuator does not help at all. So if I want to monitor the Hamilton County system I use the G5.

GTO_04

minh6710

Thanks for your prompt reply. I think I will pull the trigger on one of these radios this week. I’m looking for something small, portable, rugged and I think this fits the bill well. My 436 works well most of the time but there are still some spots where the reception is crappy. Another question: has anyone used any Bluetooth devices with this Radio? I know the Motorola RLM 6554 is designed to work with their products but if Bluetooth is the standard maybe it will work with this one. Minus the added features of the Mic of course. I think I might be willing to give that a try as well too.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a G4 on the way. I've watched some of the YouTube videos and read some of the forum posts, but I still have a question about programming.

As we all know, SAFE-T is a large system with multiple towers (sites). With a Uniden x96 scanner, you'd set up a "system" that included a common list of SAFE-T talkgroups that you wanted to monitor and then you'd set up different "sites" within that "system" where each "site" would have the control and alternate channels for a particular tower site. You could then configure quick keys to activate the various sites and select the site(s) closest to you as you drove around (or use the geolocation features with a GPS receiver).

So, how do I do this with a G4. Let's say I'm going to be travelling around Morgan County. There's a list of TGs that I want to monitor for Morgan County, but Morgan County has a Mooresville site and a Martinsville site. How do I program the G4 so that I can move between the two sites while still monitoring the same set of TGs? On the D2 screen, do I create separate entries in the P25 Trunking System List for each tower site?

troymail

Silent Key
I have a G4 on the way. I've watched some of the YouTube videos and read some of the forum posts, but I still have a question about programming.

As we all know, SAFE-T is a large system with multiple towers (sites). With a Uniden x96 scanner, you'd set up a "system" that included a common list of SAFE-T talkgroups that you wanted to monitor and then you'd set up different "sites" within that "system" where each "site" would have the control and alternate channels for a particular tower site. You could then configure quick keys to activate the various sites and select the site(s) closest to you as you drove around (or use the geolocation features with a GPS receiver).

So, how do I do this with a G4. Let's say I'm going to be travelling around Morgan County. There's a list of TGs that I want to monitor for Morgan County, but Morgan County has a Mooresville site and a Martinsville site. How do I program the G4 so that I can move between the two sites while still monitoring the same set of TGs? On the D2 screen, do I create separate entries in the P25 Trunking System List for each tower site?

Given the Unication will scan through the system/sites and frequencies you have programmed and select a site for you and that you are limited to 64 talkgroups per knob position, to have more positive control, you'd want to create a "system" for each site (or set of sites - like as in a County - personal preference) and then create a knob position for each "area" you want to monitor.

When I travel, in order to properly control monitoring of county usage on the statewide system, I sometimes create a "knob" for each county -- that knob will use a "system" I've created for that county (1 or more "sites" and frequencies) and include generally only the talkgroups for that county.

Hopefully that makes sense.

EDIT: FWIW -- With all sites programmed, I've seen the Unication lock onto a control channel 60 miles away in areas with poor coverage -- and I certainly wasn't going to hear much "local" activity from that distant site.

Last edited:

KC9NEG

I'm not having much success using a BCD436HP while mobile, so I'll be soon joining this club. Is there any compelling reason, other than coverage, to choose the G5 over the G4? Thanks!

GTO_04

I'm not having much success using a BCD436HP while mobile, so I'll be soon joining this club. Is there any compelling reason, other than coverage, to choose the G5 over the G4? Thanks!

No. The G5 covers VHF and 800, while the G4 covers UHF and 800. You will be very happy with the G5 (or G4)!

GTO_04

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
No. The G5 covers VHF and 800, while the G4 covers UHF and 800. You will be very happy with the G5 (or G4)!

GTO_04

Actually, the G5 is dual band (either VHF-700/800 or UHF-700/800, depending on which G5 version you order).

The G4 is solely 700/800.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.