Mysterious trunking control channel in Shelby Co.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

I'm in the Memphis/Cordova, TN area. That's extreme West Tennessee.

I keep getting this VERY STRONG hit that sounds like a Motorola or P25 control channel: 854.8125

However Unitrunker won't decode it no matter what I do.

1. My signal is STRONG, loud, and clear. Compared to most else, I'd say it's originating down the street!

2. My radio is a Uniden BCT996T and I'm using Unitrunker with a disc. tap. I have a pretty darned good antenna.

3. I easily pick-up AWIN (Shell Lake) in Arkansas, Tunica PS in Mississippi when I work for it. This is NOT a signal strength issue, IMHO.

4. Listening to the control channel drone, I've never heard any variations, like audible noise indicating some kind of activity beyond the drone of the CC.

5. RR and FCC data suggests Entergy, but the sites they indicate are nowhere near me. Also, I never have trouble decoding Entergy.

Any help identifying this would be greatly appreciated!

KWP

n4yek

If it is a brand new Control Channel, it might not be transmitting anything for Unitrunker to decode.
When Pigeon Forge's P25 system went online, the first few days my scanner would not lock onto it to show 'DAT' because it wasn't transmitting anything.
Possibly the same thing you are experiencing....

ka4bni

Feed Provider
You may be hearing WPKN974 Entergy Services Inc. They have a conventional repeater in Southaven, MS. Desoto County. They are licensed for 8K10F1D and F1E data transmission. You may be hearing the data stream from their transmitter.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
My mistake, it is a trunked license. There appears to be a 13 channel trunked site at that location.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
It is also Phase II TDMA for most traffic. Won't be very busy except during storms and such. Some Connects/Disconnects, minor trouble calls etc... But during big storms, then it gets a tad busy.

Airdorn

Okay, turns out that this appears to be a P25 voice channel used by Entergy.

This is not a control channel at all. It's just that, it's always 'on' so it has a familiar drone about it, and spewing a trove of information via DSD+ if set to very verbose mode (-v4).

Lots of private call connects. It indicates site neighbors and other information in the event log.

Very interesting stuff!

Frequency is 854.8125.

Status
Not open for further replies.