WS1080: Smaller micro SD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianG61UK

I think it's only the first bit where the display shows 00% then 10% then 20% up to (very briefly) :0% that gets slower on a larger SD card. On my WS1088 it's before the light comes on.

The next bit where the bar moves across seems to be slower only according to the amount (size? number?) of the files on the card.

ecarvalho

I thought the same. In terms of booting I don't typically turn my scanners in a hurry. Doesn't mean that the occasion might not arrive...
Say, I see the fire fighters coming to my neighborhood, I might want to power up quickly to find out what is going on, after I run outside to see if my house is safe hehehe

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
My scanner is on 24/7...I just turn the volume down when I go to bed.

BrianG61UK

My scanner is on 24/7...I just turn the volume down when I go to bed.
That's great with most scanners but it means using external power which, at least with my WS1088, means it would be vulnerable to unexpected power loss which makes it lose all recordings made since it was last switched off properly.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Never had the problem, Plugged in using a wall wart and Nicads inside. The recordings are on the sd card inside and can usually be pulled off with a card reader.

Last edited:

BrianG61UK

Never had the problem, Plugged in using a wall wart and Nicads inside. The recordings are on the sd card inside and can usually be pulled off with a card reader.
If I switch off the wall wart the scanner almost always crashes and fails to flush something (the FAT and the folders I presume) to the SD card.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
If I switch off the wall wart the scanner almost always crashes and fails to flush something (the FAT and the folders I presume) to the SD card.

2 things that should be obvious....DON'T switch off the wall wart and have rechargeable batteries in the scanner for battery back up. The scanner will charge the batteries and keep them charged. A good set will last 5-8hrs. I did this for 2 yrs will my 668 that I recently sold.

BrianG61UK

2 things that should be obvious....DON'T switch off the wall wart and have rechargeable batteries in the scanner for battery back up. The scanner will charge the batteries and keep them charged. A good set will last 5-8hrs. I did this for 2 yrs will my 668 that I recently sold.
EXACTLY.
But power can fail.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I found some 256 MB cards on eBay. After some fighting with them, I got them working. My scanner boots up a second or two faster now.

cistercian

I put a 32gb card in mine and it booted SLOWLY. I put an 8gb card in and it was much faster.

After booting both cards worked perfectly...and both are class 10 sandisk cards. I don't know why the big card slows boot so much...but it really does.The initial count is glacial with it.

BrianG61UK

I put a 32gb card in mine and it booted SLOWLY. I put an 8gb card in and it was much faster.

After booting both cards worked perfectly...and both are class 10 sandisk cards. I don't know why the big card slows boot so much...but it really does.The initial count is glacial with it.
I'm pretty sure it's reading the entire FAT so that it knows which allocation blocks are free. Since the allocation blocks are always 32KB the FAT's size is proportional to the size of the card.

cistercian

I'm pretty sure it's reading the entire FAT so that it knows which allocation blocks are free. Since the allocation blocks are always 32KB the FAT's size is proportional to the size of the card.

I am sure you are right...it is slow though!

Status
Not open for further replies.