LCD Display - Oh Bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.

milcom_chaser

Any ideas on remedy for fading, missing row in LCD Matrix other than replacing the display board?

Attachments

• LCD Display Issue.jpg
    LCD Display Issue.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 532

SCPD

QRT
Did you drop it?Send it to me,I'll fix it for $80 LOL.
If youre handy,the LCD has a flexible contact,if you smoke or dropped it ,this may need reseating or cleaning,remove the glass lcd and under it is a rubber eraser looking contact,clean where that hits together with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.Dont feel safe doing it,dont do it.
K1NNG

A long shot would be to try resetting to factory defaults,but I highly doubt it.I did have all erroneous charecters once and that fixed it.Was a Whistler Ws1088

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Reminds me of my HT1550XLS and some MTS2000 units that had similar issues.
In those cases it was poor solder joints on the display ribbon cable.
I remember a tech taking a soldering iron with an attachment that looked like a small iron and fixing those solder joints.

milcom_chaser

Did you drop it?Send it to me,I'll fix it for $80 LOL.
If youre handy,the LCD has a flexible contact,if you smoke or dropped it ,this may need reseating or cleaning,remove the glass lcd and under it is a rubber eraser looking contact,clean where that hits together with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.Dont feel safe doing it,dont do it.
K1NNG

A long shot would be to try resetting to factory defaults,but I highly doubt it.I did have all erroneous charecters once and that fixed it.Was a Whistler Ws1088

Looks like the LCD Display frame tabs would need to have the solder wicked/removed so that the frame could
be lifted. Is that what you ended up doing on your WS 1088 in order to get to the ribbon contact beneath it?

I already cleaned the ribbon cable where it mates with the ribbon connector on the underside of the PC board as seen in the last photo.

Thanks K1NNG

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 337

SCPD

QRT
Any ideas on remedy for fading, missing row in LCD Matrix other than replacing the display board?

That looks like a LCD module issue, one row missing, and not the module to radio logic board cable failure. If it's in warranty, send it back. If out of warranty and you are handy with fine disassembly and familiar with LCD module configuration, the rubbery conductive things between the LCD and the LCD PCB, you might be able to clean the rubbery transfer contacts and reassemble. This is not for the faint of heart and don't attempt unless you feel comfortable with such and that the radio is out of warranty.

Craig

SCPD

QRT
That looks like a LCD module issue, one row missing, and not the module to radio logic board cable failure. If it's in warranty, send it back. If out of warranty and you are handy with fine disassembly and familiar with LCD module configuration, the rubbery conductive things between the LCD and the LCD PCB, you might be able to clean the rubbery transfer contacts and reassemble. This is not for the faint of heart and don't attempt unless you feel comfortable with such and that the radio is out of warranty.

Craig

Another idea... with the radio apart but operating, use a q-tip to press on the edges of the display a bit and see if the row comes back. If the row does come back, try cinching down a bit on the LCD module tabs. If tightening the tabs doesn't work you'll have to remove the metal holder and try cleaning as I mentioned above. Hope this helps. Craig

milcom_chaser

Another idea... with the radio apart but operating, use a q-tip to press on the edges of the display a bit and see if the row comes back. If the row does come back, try cinching down a bit on the LCD module tabs. If tightening the tabs doesn't work you'll have to remove the metal holder and try cleaning as I mentioned above. Hope this helps. Craig

Yes, that's super helpful. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.