New Roseville P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucialcolin

Looks like Roseville recently approved a project to replace their current 800mhz radio system with a new P25 based system.
Select Roseville police scanner calls to go offline | The Press Tribune Newspaper

more here:
https://roseville.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=2278&MeetingID=43

From what I can tell they will be using 3 vendors for the project:
EF Johnson
Zetron dispatch consoles
Motorola radios(APX) for Police use

System Install and migration seems to be set for a January - June 2018 timetable.

Unknown if it will be a Phase 1 or Phase 2 based P25 system.

crucialcolin

I know that was one of the considerations at a time. Probably decided since they allready have the 800mhz frequency lincences why not stick with that.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
So... They're not going to jump on Placer's Phase II system? It makes sense to me to use it. But that's my opinion.

Roseville will likely have their P25 system built out and operable before Placer County has their's up-and-running anyway. Roseville wants to upgrade now, not later.

KG7PBS

There APX7000s Will work on Both there Systems. and the 800 works better in Roseville then the VHF system. had my XTS5000 on the VHF and there where places i would lose the system. but my MTS2000 would work just fine on the 800. just my 2 Cents

crucialcolin

Yeah they definitely want to get the upgrade completed as soon as possible since the current system will be end of life'd in a few months time(2018).

I suppose this means I'll need to finally invest in a new scanner before much longer. I still use an old Uniden BC246T analog trunking scanner(mainly Rsvl/Sac systems monitoring). I have been looking at both the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP for some time now. Then of course there is also Whistler.

mkewman

Placer is in the "End User Testing" phase. Roseville will not have theirs going for quite some time.

My sources tell me that the decision to stay on 800 is due to the fact that it is SRRCS adjacent. My understanding is that it takes a lot less time for mutual aid resources to come from Sacramento Sheriff or PD than from Placer County, being that Placer's stuff would be coming from Auburn.

It's interesting that they decided to go with EF Johnson for non-law enforcement subscribers units. That wouldn't have been my pick... but whatever floats their boat!

Also really surprising is that they went for all 7/800 mhz radios. You'd really think that they'd buy at least SOME VHF/700/800 radios for command posts, sergeants, etc. I guess they're banking that a microwave or copper patch interoperability link between Roseville and the Placer CIRN will be 100% reliable. Whatever floats their boat!

Also looks like they won't be upgrading from their Motorola Gold Elite consoles anytime soon (they're ordering the MGEG cable) so I wouldn't expect this system to be running full PHASE II for awhile. I could be wrong though.

More info to come!

325xia

Premium Subscriber
Any chance they will be encrypting these Channels? Seems like a lot of Agencies want that option now. Especially, when undergoing a new system. They talk about officer safety and such as the main reason. Santa Monica PD did this quite some time ago. Nothing to scan now.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
Any chance they will be encrypting these Channels? Seems like a lot of Agencies want that option now. Especially, when undergoing a new system. They talk about officer safety and such as the main reason. Santa Monica PD did this quite some time ago. Nothing to scan now.
There's always a chance, but agencies in our region seem to be more liberal about encryption and just do sensitive comms (surveillance, SWAT, etc.). But it's more of a wait and see situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber

As they state in the article, they do not plan on encrypting most of the traffic but will be able to enable encryption for some traffic.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
I've started to get a P25 control channel loud and clear in Roseville. Submitted to the database. All the info submitted is below and in the screenshots from Unitrunker.

Name: Roseville P25

Below info taken from Unitrunker

Type: APCO P25
ID: BEE01-73B
Sysid: 73B
WACN: BEE01
Sites: 1

Channel Access: P1
MFID: Motorola
Modulation: CQPSK

Site: 001-001
NAC: 73B
Channels:
853.350 PRIMARY CONTROL CH

Note: No voice or data traffic, no alternate control channels or voice channels identified via Unitrunker.
e432887783ab2d703317bf6d82218697.jpg
79afb8005bc8347da7948e9ce8e9bdbc.jpg
0da4b216114848bc0e4c1c074e63a18f.jpg
afe8ab3e99bf2f191a423e4bb5ce98ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kma371

QRT
Is the old system still online? 853.350 was control channel on that system as well.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I've been seeing a bit of what I assume is testing on the Roseville P25 system for about two weeks now. I have Unitrunker working with a couple of RTL-SDR dongles. One dongle uses four VCOs for monitoring signals on 852.0500, 852.3750, 853.3500, and 853.5500. It looks for control data on all four simultaneously. Ever since the P25 system popped up, I generally display my Unitrunker feed like the screenshot below:

Roseville.png

I am not even attempting to listen to anything on the P25, just watching the control channel. I am still feeding police and fire to Broadcastify.

dirtrat

How are you listening to Encryption? If its AES 256 on a P25 system you won't hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.