• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5. amplified charger and the factory antenna that came with the charger unit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Hi all,

I have a G5 and an amplified charger. When I have the G5 in the amplified charger and I have the antenna that connects to the back of the charger on the unit, the G5 will not receive any VHF frequencies. May just be a bad antenna.

If I take the antenna off, everything received loud and clear. Obvious when I'm monitoring a P25 system, it uses the radio antenna instead of the back antenna and everything is good.

It's easiest enough just to leave the amplified charging unit antenna off but I was just curious if anyone else also had this problem?

Thanks!

cackis

Premium Subscriber
Have a similar problem with my G5 amplified charger but mine doesn't receive the VHF channels at all while in the charger, with or without the antenna. Spoke to my vendor and they have a trouble ticket open with Unication.

tdeater

I have had a couple of our firefighters report the same thing, no VHF receive in their amplified drop in charger. I have not had the opportunity to look into it myself yet. It's only a couple out of like 30 deployed though.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that right now too. I never bothered with it at first as I mainly use P25 digital. But when scanning Vhf on the G5 with several different antennas in the amp/charger and no antenna but the stub, nothing is heard. The second I take the G5 out of the slot, it starts getting Vhf signals.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Keep buying them? You bet capt'n. They're talking about the AMP/Charger and ONLY using VHF analog settings. The AMP isn't 600$. Only $140?/newest version is $89.00. The Pager's themselves? They're great. 6 county trip with 7 different SITES of the Statewide P25 System and the Unication G5 Pager/Radio never burped, never lost the signal. Perfect and clear just sitting IN the drink holder using only the stubby antenna, no outside antenna needed. That's why I got it. If I really want just OLD analog? I'll turn my WS1080 on. That's about all it's capable of. :0)

Last edited by a moderator:

KM4WLV

And yet people keep buying these problem prone 600.00 plus pagers smh
I've seen several people call these pagers trash, problem prone, etc etc. I've had mine for close to 3 months and it's been working like a champ on VHF & P25. So much so that my Minitor 5 has been retired, & my G1 is used as a weather alert pager. The G5 receives as well as & sometimes better than my department issued XTS5000. That's not to say there haven't been some bad apples out there & when that's happened Unication and/or the dealer who sold it take care of things. If I could afford it I'd buy 1 or 2 more.

a1f926319f0d39f4d75935b84f6b01e5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
@cmdrwill... I find that my Unification G5 works best when powered by Cherry Coke myself.

@captaincab... I'm quite happy with this little pager/monitor/quasi-scanner. Yes, it does need a few improvements. Mine G5 runs circles around my Uniden BCD436HP. The audio is superb, the feel and function are fantastic, the sensitivity is amazing. I'm looking forward to the day our FD finally switches over to the APCO25 system which should be any day now. I'll be able to be alerted with my G5 without missing a beat. I took my received on its first 2-alarm job here in Youngstown last week and it did fantastic. Let me also say that there is just the right amount of buttons/knobs and everything is now intuitive to me! I've used mine for a month and I still love it. The voice prompts when changing mode are a very nice feature.

If the company continues to make programming changes like they are planning, this is going to be one even more impressive radio! Sure it isn't for general scanning but again it's wasn't designed for that. It is a professional pager/monitor/alerting unit and it does that quite well.

Attachments

• ScannerG5.jpg
    ScannerG5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 402

ecarvalho

All I can say is, IF Unication enters the "scanner" market with the same solid decoding they have for simulcast on other protocols with a scanner of their own, Uniden and Whistler might as well file chapter 11 the following month.
If it is possible for a radio decode well all protocols, remains to be seen. I wouldn't mind sell all scanners I own to get a solid one even if the price is above 2K.

But to the point of the original question, the lack of VHF reception on the base charger is not happening for me here. Perhaps I have a strong signal for the system I programmed?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
When I have a couple of bars on my G5, I drop it in the charger / amplifier, and get a full signal with no problem. Definitely the external antenna plays a part.

I haven't really played with the VHF side of it though

rogress

Seems that results are hit and miss. I have two G5's, one with VHF and one with the 380-430Mhz. I can say certainty that the external antenna does nothing on either VHF or the 380Mhz band (at least with my amplified charger). I even plugged it in to my rooftop antenna and nothing on either of those bands.

The only thing I didn't test yet was the 700Mhz band. I'll program a weaker 700/800 Mhz system and do that test later.

Status
Not open for further replies.