Scanning and Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I have lifted a pair of UV-5Rs up as a cross band repeater to see how it worked. That's about it.

Eugene

Didn't use a drone....but did have a friend bring my PRO43 (back in the day) and we went flying. I circled the plane to 6000 feet and could hear NYPD from Costal Virginia on it. So theoretically it could work (although I doubt you could get a drone to 6000 feet).

Eugene KG4AVE

Eugene

My question would be......if you take scanner with antenna attached up to a certain altitude....how are you going to hear it unless you broadcast it somehow (Bluetooth??) although that has limited range. If you take just the antenna up......need coax to feed from antenna to scanner on ground. The longer (read higher) the coax run...the greater the signal loss would be so you may reach a point of diminishing returns.

Eugene KG4AVE

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My question would be......if you take scanner with antenna attached up to a certain altitude....how are you going to hear it unless you broadcast it somehow (Bluetooth??) although that has limited range. If you take just the antenna up......need coax to feed from antenna to scanner on ground. The longer (read higher) the coax run...the greater the signal loss would be so you may reach a point of diminishing returns.

Eugene KG4AVE

.....and how long can you keep it aloft? It can't be long enough to be worth the trouble.

You might be better off using a balloon.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A balloon with 3 equal-length tether lines anchored in an equilateral triangle makes more sense for the aerial platform. You can stay up much longer and not worry about fuel.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
With the current crop of drones, you'll only net about 1/2 hr flight time at best.

As jonwienke points out, a balloon would be better... Or even a kite.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
With all the technical problems a drone could produce, a balloon would be the best bet, like I suggested the same day you posted the question.

Eugene

Also bear in mind that you may have to get quite a bit of altitude for any significant gain. Radio horizon is 1.3 times the square root of the height, so you can do the math. A baolln does sound like a good platform by the way.

Eugene KG4AVE

scan_madison

One way to listen to live scanner feed would be to send a cell phone that is ON CALL along with the balloon. And just sit back and relax below to listen to live audio!!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
If you decide to use a balloon, just remember to do one thing: scan your local PD frequencies and wait for the eventual UFO sightings to roll in. :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
LED lights inside the balloon while operating at night would probably increase the odds of getting some fodder for the funny/odd thread...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Do it during the eclipse. Orson Welles would love it if he was still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.