Stone Mtn. Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosh

Premium Subscriber
Not hearing much from the Stone Mtn. Park police and fire on the TRS. Seems last year use to hear the Marriott hotel over there on the TRS also. Just hearing Crossroads security, park ranger, and occasionally maintenance. Did police, fire, and the hotel move on to something else ?

DanRollman

Database Admin
Not hearing much from the Stone Mtn. Park police and fire on the TRS. Seems last year use to hear the Marriott hotel over there on the TRS also. Just hearing Crossroads security, park ranger, and occasionally maintenance. Did police, fire, and the hotel move on to something else ?

I don't keep the Marriott talkgroups in the Stone Mountain Park zone of my BK KNG-P800 radio, but I just pulled up PD and am hearing them fine on TG2.

As you may know, Fire is dispatched on the same talkgroup.

For those who don't know, the Stone Mountain PARK FD is a surprisingly well-equipped all-hazards department. They usually run Rescue 1 (Ford Excursion) on EMS calls and Engine 2 (Type I engine on a 4-door FL80 chassis) on fire calls, but they also have at their disposal Engine 1 (F-Super Duty chassis with supply lines), Engine 3 (a GMC commercial chassis with an exposed elliptical poly tank and 2 rear-mounted monitors and is equipped with Hi-Rail wheels to run as a road-rail vehicle on the tracks), Rescue 2 (Ford F800 4-door with a utility body), and Rescue 3 (F-350 crew cab pickup). The fire department also has two patient-transport-capable Polaris ATV's, but I'm not sure what they're called on the air.

Of course, the Police Chief is a licensed rotor wing pilot, and Stone Mountain Park Police also have a helicopter they keep stored at Briscoe Field in Lawrenceville but often fly over the park on busy weekends. There's a helipad on top of the Public Safety building on Hugh Howell Road, but the helo only lands there intermittently; it isn't actually based there full time.

Dan

Last edited:

tosh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Dan for the response and the info. on the fire department. I was over near the walk-up trail last year when they were trying to get to a brush fire off of the tracks at the bottom of the mountain and they had that hi-rail unit over there. That was cool looking. I think I have heard the FD operating on TG 7 also. That TG came up while in search mode. I have heard them dispatched with what sounds like a on old Motorola Quik Call tone. The most active talkgroup that I have heard is the crossroads security. Anyway I will have to recheck my programming configuration in my radio perhaps.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Thanks Dan for the response and the info. on the fire department. I was over near the walk-up trail last year when they were trying to get to a brush fire off of the tracks at the bottom of the mountain and they had that hi-rail unit over there. That was cool looking. I think I have heard the FD operating on TG 7 also. That TG came up while in search mode. I have heard them dispatched with what sounds like a on old Motorola Quik Call tone. The most active talkgroup that I have heard is the crossroads security. Anyway I will have to recheck my programming configuration in my radio perhaps.

Good stuff. Yeah, TG 7 is the Fire Tac channel. Not used too often.

I don't think Crossroads Security is really the right name for a channel anymore. I know I had named one that in the database a while back. I don't think Crossroads actually has their own security people. SMPPD just hangs out in there sometimes, and sometimes uses TG 5 to get off the main channel (like for the laser show).

TG31 is the busiest Crossroads channel, and seems to be what at least one employee at each attraction monitors. Some attractions, like the Big Barn, also have VHF MURS radios (the barn uses 151.625). So there's a P25 radio with an employee at the entrance on TG31, who also has a MURS radio, but the other employees in the barn (like at the top of the slides) just has a VHF simplex MURS radio. TG31 and TG34 are the most active at Crossroads. 34 is shuttles and Duck Boats.

Another talkgroup to listen to is TG10. All of the callboxes around the park transmit on TG10, and you can hear the dispatcher talking to the caller. I think the police officers scan TG2 and TG10 in their cars, because they often talk on TG2 in a way that suggests they heard the entire callbox call on TG10.

tosh

Premium Subscriber
So I found out why the SMPPD was quiet on my end. Looks like operator error - or maybe gremlins in my radio. I had the "multi-dispatch" service type turned off in my 436. Duh ! Well that seems to have solved my problem. Appears since the TG dispatches both PD and FD it falls under that category and that's how the radio handles it. I also changed that TG 2 to a law enforcement service type. Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.