• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS2000 900mhz conversion to ham use FAIL 01 remedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I scored an auction of very cheap mts2k 900mhz radios. I am aware that many Jedi's won't do talk around in the ham band around 927.5 mhz. In fact only 1/10 of a recent lot did so. All of these radios seem fine for repeater service in the 900mhz ham band.

The question is, does anyone know a procedure to make the VCO lock for transmit around 927?

N4KVE

There was a guy named Jim on BATLABS who did this for me, but that was years ago. It was a software upgrade, but the kind that can not be discussed here. However, I recently scored some MTX9250's for less than $50 each, & they are all very ham 902/927 friendly. Even on 927 talk around. No mods needed. They ALL work there.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Hardware or software mod?

Just to clarify, I fully understand whats need to program the radios for talkaround on 927, the problem is most of them won't VCO lock on that frequency.

Are you saying there is a software solution to the fail 01?

gtaman

Just to clarify, I fully understand whats need to program the radios for talkaround on 927, the problem is most of them won't VCO lock on that frequency.

What I have experienced is a crapshoot. Some will do 927 some won’t.

N4KVE

That's what fixed my radio years ago.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Crapshoot is traditional wisdom

My research is consistent with luck of the draw, and turned up nothing else. With that said atone of the radios ever so briefly will break the squelch on a receiver at 927.5, before showing the fail 01, so I have to wonder what is going on, on a technical level. That is, I only tested one of them with a receiver, I just assumed they transmitted nothing, I'll have to check others.

Maybe I know less then I think I do, but I have to wonder why a radio can lock a vfo for rx but not tx.

N4KVE

If you get 3 similar 900 MTS2000's, 1 will work fine, one will not tx on 927, & one won't work well at all on 902/927. Mine was the 3rd choice. Deaf at 927, & no tx there. But some tuning with a laptop made it perfect. Just the luck of the draw.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Random distribution?

I would like to the know the technical reason why some work 927 and some don't. All of my current lot of 10 seem fine rx on 927 and tx 902. Only one could tx on 927.

If the issue is due to same random factor wherein some radios can tx closer to 927 then others, one might expect some radios would work near the edge of the ham band say tx at 927.975 but not at 927.5. I have not hooked them up to a dummy load yet to see how close to 927 they get, but testing this is next for a few samples.

I also used tuner on one, default tx vco softpot value was 153, moving it up and down to the extremes of 0 and 255 in 10 unit increments, did not allow tx on 927.5 for one sample. I may try on others as well, and to see if it makes tx higher up at 927.975 possible, since this is almost 500khz higher and nearer radios factory intended range.

N4KVE

I would like to the know the technical reason why some work 927 and some don't. All of my current lot of 10 seem fine rx on 927 and tx 902. Only one could tx on 927.
The same reason you could have 2 Corvettes exactly the same, & one will always beat the other in the 1/4 mile. It's the tolerances of the components used to make the car/radio.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Got it

That gives me hope that some or at least one of the radios that can't do 927.5 tx should do 927.975, but so far none of the radios that can't do 927.5 have managed to do 927.8. I didn't program them all with 927.975, but I"ll give this a stab.

gtaman

As Gary stated is how the components come together. I have one XTS5000 that has a way hotter RX than the other. They are tuned exactly the same. It’s honestly unexplainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.