Frequency Database: New uploads are not overwriting previous data

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmpsa

I happened to search my own FCC licenses by freq and/or call sign, and I noticed that Radio Reference's database, when you uploaded new, recent data into the database, the records are not overwriting existing ones. If you search, for example (which was in a recent thread):

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fle&stid=25&en=PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK LLC

The results pages contains 45 records, but it's the initial data/records but duplicated 2 more times. So it's shows the same data three (3) times, that I'm calculating. Maybe it's 4 times, but it should only show 15 rows (or less), not 45. I also searched my own FCC call signs, and the same there, hundreds of duplicates rows.

Just wanted to bring that to you attention !!!!!

troymail

Silent Key
I happened to search my own FCC licenses by freq and/or call sign, and I noticed that Radio Reference's database, when you uploaded new, recent data into the database, the records are not overwriting existing ones. If you search, for example (which was in a recent thread):

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fle&stid=25&en=PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK LLC

The results pages contains 45 records, but it's the initial data/records but duplicated 2 more times. So it's shows the same data three (3) times, that I'm calculating. Maybe it's 4 times, but it should only show 15 rows (or less), not 45. I also searched my own FCC call signs, and the same there, hundreds of duplicates rows.

Just wanted to bring that to you attention !!!!!

The listing shows a row for each unique combination of information found on the license.

Entity Callsign Frequency Units Pag CODE Svc City
PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK LLC WQXJ519 153.00500 1 0 FB2 IG PALMER
PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK LLC WQXJ519 153.00500 225 0 MO IG
PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK LLC WQXJ519 153.00500 225 0 MO IG PALMER

cmpsa

I understand that part, but as an example. If you look at 153.00500 FB2 row. In the "FCC database" there is only 153.00500 FB2 record, at 1 fixed site. The 153.00500 FB2 is listed 6 times of the 45 rows. So I understand each how each row of data will show, but why is 1 FCC row listed 6 times in your database, why not once? What makes it appear in 5 more times (i.e. row), is my specific question.

Thank you

troymail

Silent Key
Not "my" database - just commenting on what I see ... Still, as I said, it seems to be combinations of unique data based on the way RR expands it ...

For the frequency you mentioned, there are both FB and MO records on the FCC license. The FB row is listed as being in PALMER and the MO record lists lat/lon. I suspect it's further duplicated because the frequency(ies) are licensed for both analog and DMR emissions as well as the number of transmitters/radios recorded on the license data.

It's obviously not an optimal presentation on RR but it's a fairly normal (simple) way to show all of the combinations of the various fields assigned to a given frequency.

It is difficult to show relational/non-flat data on a flat table (hence the reason for relational databases).

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Raw, unedited FCC data

What you're seeing, as noted by another commenter, is each different permutation of the raw FCC data as downloaded from the FCC database.

RR doesn't alter the data in any way, it's simply raw data as received from the FCC. We make it available in this manner so advanced users can parse the data to suit their own needs.

cmpsa

copy that, as I understand your explanation now. Not a problem, as I had thought there might have been an error issue, but negative. Thanks gentlemen for looking in to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.