Best Portable Power Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Recommendations/Suggestions/Reviews of Portable Power Stations? Something that could be used to power a mobile radio for example, probably a deep cycle battery.

Goal Zero Yeti? Poweradd? ACOPOWER? River Mobile Power Station?

rbm

Depending on how 'beefy' you want your power station to be, here are a few examples of what I use.
I also have solar panels with power inverters and a large Generac Generator.

Rich

Some battery boxes:
The jump start box on the right contains an AGM 12V 18AH battery. (UB12180)
The trolling motor box on the left will hold a good quality 12Volt, group 24- and 27-size battery.

8q9tRDF.jpg

I have two of these with a parallel connection kit. They work surprisingly well.
WEN 56200i, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator

LjuWPyj.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-S...192637&sr=8-1&keywords=wen+inverter+generator

lmrtek

Better to make your own

They all have pretty high prices for what they are

I simply use a 31 series deep cycle battery and a 1500watt inverter

Total cost of less than $150

And if power is still out after 24 hours, I just recharge the battery with the car

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Honda portable generator

I prefer generators that do not use inverters.

I have a cheap 120v/3500w Champion. Wish I would have spent a bit more money and got one that did 120/220 with 3 and 4 pin twist lock plugs and had a no load idle.

Ultimately I would like to get a natural gas standby generator for home, I have heat trace, furnace and a pump out I would like to keep operating if the power goes out in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
A Deep Cycle marine battery would probably get you several days if you are just using it to power a scanner.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Recommendations/Suggestions/Reviews of Portable Power Stations? Something that could be used to power a mobile radio for example, probably a deep cycle battery.

Goal Zero Yeti? Poweradd? ACOPOWER? River Mobile Power Station?

Goal Zero are way to expensive for my budget…

Generators are a nice option, if you have the ability to keep up with maintenance. That means, oil changes, filters, keeping gas fresh, exercising them, etc. It's not for everyone.
The up side is that it's hard to beat the convenience of liquid fuel for ease of use, transportability, ease of acquisition, etc.
A small, quiet 2kw unit is light enough to carry, quiet enough to use in a residential area/camp ground, and reasonably priced.

Honda is a good brand, we have a few of those at work for our portable use, but you are paying for the name. Yamaha seem to be just as good, and a bit cheaper.

My dad has a portable Champion for his trailer and it's seems to be a good unit. A bit noisy, but it's lasted pretty well.

As for a simple battery setup, make your own, it's not hard.

I had a plastic ammo box type thing I picked up at a sporting goods store many years ago. I put a 30 Ampere Hour 12 volt gel cell in there. I fused it at 20 amps, installed a cigarette lighter plug and a set of the 3 way banana jack/binding post attachments. Worked very well, especially since the battery was free, the parts I had in my stash and the only thing I had to pay for was the $12.00 box.

Set it up with a solar charger or a 110vac charger and you'd have a good setup for less than $100.00.

Size it up if needed using a larger battery and battery box. Or, build multiple units so you can charge one while using the other.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I powered a scanner for over 24 hours continuously on one of those gel cell alarm system type batteries. They are small and easy to move around. You can usually keep those on trickle charge also.

Status
Not open for further replies.