FRS in far NW Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Out here in the desert on the NW corner of the White Tanks they are actively building a brand new part of my development. There are several dozen trucks, excavators and dozers tearing up the desert floor putting in new streets, utilities and slabs.

I have a scanner currently dedicated to GMRS and FRS channels. The only GMRS repeaters I can usually hear way out here are the White Tanks 550, Towers 575 and Scottsdale 600 machines. I am hearing tons of FRS traffic from the crews working in the construction. They seem pretty organized and have channels set up for different activities. Channel 4 is the scrapers, Channel 5 is the water pit, Channel 6 is the cleanout crew etc.

Some of the traffic is less organized and pretty rough language but much of it is pretty professional. They also make reference to dispatch operations on the various DMR systems, specifically referencing the "White Tanks DMR" and a couple others that I cannot recall.

Occasionally I hear other stuff out here, occasional ATV'rs, hunters and poachers pop up on FRS or GMRS channels along with some transient traffic. Some of the landscapers and other workers in the area also use FRS as does traffic going by on the road. The other day there were some guys following a herd of wild burros we have had in the area. I don't think they were hunting them but rather a couple ATV riders watching them.

The White Tanks pretty much block me from hearing too much east of there that isn't on the mountain. This helps keep my listening pretty local, and living in the middle of nowhere means most of what I hear is usually just in my development.

If you have a scanner set up a bank with the GMRS and FRS channels, you might hear something interesting...

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Hi Rich, funny you should mention that....
I have one of my ham mobile radios set up with several of those systems right here at home, connected to my dual-band J-pole on the roof. A couple nights ago, I heard what sounded like a military operation on FRS. Stuff like "Move up", "prepare to fire", etc. The last thing I heard was a guy saying, "Guns, guns, guns" with some popping sounds in the background. I believe it was paintballers or airsoft "enthusiasts"nearby. (I'm right on the edge of the Desert Wells multi-use area, so they might have been in there.)
As you said, "something interesting"....!

Status
Not open for further replies.