BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Possible Firmware Issue with 1.11.31

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Since upgrading my BCD436HP to the latest firmware 1.11.31, the analyze and discover functions have become completely unusable and cause the scanner to locked and I must remover the batteries in order to recovery; has anyone else seen these issues?

marksmith

I am getting more and more excited about updating to the latest firmware. Skipping this one.

Sounds like time to revert to previous version.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What steps exactly are you doing to hang the scanner? What settings are you using in your analyze discovery sessions? If you use the wrong discovery settings, the scanner will hang on frequencies that have continuous broadcasts, like P25 repeater control channels.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
What steps exactly are you doing to hang the scanner? What settings are you using in your analyze discovery sessions? If you use the wrong discovery settings, the scanner will hang on frequencies that have continuous broadcasts, like P25 repeater control channels.

I can't even change any of the settings; I'm using the same programming I've had for over two years, I go into analyze like I always gave when traveling to new areas of the state and as soon as I select that, the entire interface is locked up and a battery pull is required. Same goes for discovery. These areas always worked until Uniden began playing with all these versions of DMR firmware. Also, when on a P25 control channel, it no longer sees the site details or decodes the system like it did previously.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Odd, mine still works fine.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I guess when I get home I'll have to wipe the sd-card and start again and see if it's fixed then; very frustrating...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Definitely sounds like a card problem if you can't change the settings. They are cheap, have some spares.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Definitely sounds like a card problem if you can't change the settings. They are cheap, have some spares.

Yes, they're cheap and I have two spares with me, all with the same profile and problem, I don't think it's a card problem but I guess this is a place to start; sucks that I'm screwed for this entire trip though. I am still against all of these sd--card driven scanners, sd-cards are great for back storage, but the main scanner shouldn't be relying on on to work.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What settings are you using in your analyze discovery sessions? If you use the wrong discovery settings, the scanner will hang on frequencies that have continuous broadcasts, like P25 repeater control channels.

I can't even change any of the settings; I'm using the same programming I've had for over two years, I go into analyze like I always gave when traveling to new areas of the state and as soon as I select that, the entire interface is locked up and a battery pull is required. Same goes for discovery.

If you can upload your scanner data to Sentinel, you can view and change the discovery settings there. You can also create new sessions to discover as well.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Also, with the DMR upgrade, the ability to tune to a P25 control channel and see SysID, site and TG info was lost.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
Slightly tangential thought but -- assuming this turns out to be the (yet another) SD card issue, is it just me or is it time for the scanner vendors to find and use something other than SD cards that, when they start going bad, cause all kinds of problems?

It's really not good that a small $5-10 component can cause a several hundred dollar radio to fail - particularly when the component can so easily be damaged by the user.

What is Unication using in their pagers?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The good SD cards cost more than $5, and it's worth not getting the cheapest card you can find when it is a critical component. I've run 436s for years and have not had card issues because I don't buy the cheapest cards.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Also, with the DMR upgrade, the ability to tune to a P25 control channel and see SysID, site and TG info was lost.

What is this bull****, when I purchased this scanner, this was a known feature; now Uniden has just decided to take that feature set away from a radio I already own and purchased with the expressed knowledge that this feature existed? If this is true, then Uniden owes me a refund for the purchase price of this radio as it was clearly advertised with specific feature sets, several of them which Uniden still has yet to deliver on... This will be the last Uniden product I ever own; this whole series of scanners both the BCD436HP and the BCD536HP have been a total disaster...

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The good SD cards cost more than $5, and it's worth not getting the cheapest card you can find when it is a critical component. I've run 436s for years and have not had card issues because I don't buy the cheapest cards.

For the record, I never use cheap SD-cards, I only purchase SanDisk Ultra Class 10 cards, all are 32GB; I've been using this brand for years, I have them running in all sorts of devices and not once, never, have I ever had a bad SD-Card or corrupted image; I find it interesting that the three cards I am traveling with all have the same issue. Knowing what I've seen through this post here, I think I'm just plain F'in done with Uniden and their crap; the notion that they can decide to remove already purchased feature sets is utterly ridiculous; I paid for a feature set, had I had known Uniden wasn't going to keep the feature set, I would have never purchased this radio and I will also never purchase another Uniden product ever, I don't care if it'll wipe my *** for me, I am sick and tired of being a beta tester for Uniden with each scanner release. They did the same bull**** with the BCD396 series scanners as well.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

Are you 100% positive about that? I'm almost positive they never did that.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I too would like to know what steps to take to show the P25 sysID/site/TG.

Both my 436 and 536 are on their original SD cards (not the stock ones; the ones I bought to replace them) from when I first bought the radios, and have never given me troubles with daily (some 24/7) use. I don't ever remove the cards - I wonder if the people who claim all these weird problems can say the same thing. (In other words - it might be constantly removing and re-inserting the card that's the problem.)

Status
Not open for further replies.