Aspiring Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliner67

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I'm studying for my Ham license, and have found a good deal on a used Moto XTS5000 (400 mHz). Seller is programming it (not ready for the hassle of CPS yet). On the A tab of the rocker switch, will be programming some low power industrial frequencies that we use at work (simplex). On B and C, I want to program some local 70cm repeaters.

Will NOT be transmitting on ham bands prior to getting licensed.

Was wondering what suggestions people had for which to program (other than the obvious local repeaters). I understand the XTS5K doesn't support DMR, so no Brandmeister unfortunately. Was wondering what suggestions people had for any repeater nets (if there are any) that could work.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend finding out first the availability and cost of obtaining a copy of the CPS software. No matter what you decide to have programmed into the radio by the seller, you will soon want the ability to change the configuration of the radio yourself. You may find that this type of commercial radio is not an easy radio to configure for the beginning ham.

gary123

You will also need the programming cable. These are available on ebay as well as from Moto.

As far as the actual configuration I would make one zone your commercial work channels and then make other zones things like Local Ham repeaters etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oliner67

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies. I will order a cable and start looking for software.

Was just wondering - are there any repeater networks that don't require DMR?

gary123

Thanks mciupa.

there are several linked systems. VE3 RTP has some that come to mind immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.